Friday, January 26, 2007

Sweaters and Socks and Sock Yarn Oh My!

First up the Spawn Sweater in the blocking phase:

spawn sweater

Wow, it matches Squeaky's eyes too!

It's actually seamed up right now and last night I put the DPNs and picked out the waste yarn. I've got a yarn ball about the size of a peach pit (approx. 12 yards). I think I'll be able to squeege out a small collar.

At lunch today I finished the first swirly sock:

Swirly Sock

I only dropped one stitch! Woo! I always tend to drop two (or more!) stitches in the boring parts of the arch of the foot. I tend to knit so fast that I miss the last stitch at the end of the needle. I don't scoop the needle enough to come through the loop.

Best part? I think I'll have enough to make the second sock after all! The ball leftover is about the size of a good sized orange.

I recently catalogued my yarn and I classified a lot of the oddballs that way: "tomato size," "garlic clove size," "clementine size." I really need to get a scale or something.

And finally--the much awaited KAYE yarn prize update!

Feast your eyes on this:

KAYE Jan Yarn

Oh dear lord, this picture doesn't do it justice at ALL!

Click here to get the specs. Oh the colors are so rich, and for 100% wool--it's very soft!

I have to say Mystical Creation Yarn rocks! Shipping was super fast--only a week! But here's the kicker, dumbass me forgot to change my the address it shipped to (Paypal still has Lansing as my default address). So imagine how much faster it would have come if I hadn't messed up my address!!

So this gorgeous skein of yarn will be the January prize for the first month of my Kootchie Awareness Yarn Extravaganza.

Click here for the rules if you're unfamiliar with them and are wondering what the hell I'm babbling about!

There's still only one participant this month, but there's still four days remaining!

Moving on...

Thank you for your kind words about our hellish move/job situation.

These past couple of days have been an emotional roller coaster and I feel like a giant psychotic waffle.

So many decisions! But as I was doing my laps at lunch today for 100 Miles By April 1 (I do two laps--1 mile--at lunch around the outdoor track at work and then knit for the rest of my hour) I had an epiphany.

Each month we live here in Texas we eat anywhere from $300 to $600 into our savings. I've managed to save a bit of money by downgrading Chunky to part time at preschool, but seriously what they say about state workers being underpaid is true. (But hey, I'm a lazy worker so that part is true too--I figure they don't pay me enough to work as hard as I used to in the private sector. It's a vicious cycle.)

Anyway, if we drag our feet waiting for a job offer in a more convenient place to live then the possibility exists we'll have NO money to move with after a few months.

Y'all know me. I'm a cheapass! I'm an even bigger tightwad. I hate spending large amounts of money.

So screw it. We'll throw caution into the wind and just go. So what if we don't have an apartment? Our back up plan is to park the moving van at Dr. Mad Scientist's brother's place (he's the one about to have The Spawn in May) in Virginia and we'll drive my car into the city to hunt for places.

I'm praying we can at least get a little money when sell Dr. Mad Scientist's car and maybe if we're lucky (but I'm not holding my breath) we won't owe any taxes this year.

And I feel like guess I should clarify. I don't hate the PEOPLE of Texas. All of the people I've met here are great people. I just hate the situation and I project it on the state.

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Love the sock! I once saw a woman knitting socks and it looked so complicated, I'm afraid to try. At present, I can knit a square ;). But I can sew, and so I figure I'm half redeemed.

I tagged you, but didn't get over here to officially "tag" you. How about it? Six weird things??

8:29 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

The Spawn title really cracks me up. I'm glad the socks look like they are working out.

I think you out to lean on HR for Mt. Sinai for help with the housing. Maybe they cna through in some moving expenses!

8:32 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I'm not psychic or anything but I just have this feeling that everything's going to be okay.

I see that Squeeky has the Ripple effect too. I wonder if our cats are sending secret signals via our blog. hmmmm

10:31 PM  
Blogger Janna said...

I love the color of the spawn sweater! And about the job - I can't imagine how scary it would be to have to turn down a job offer. But I think if Mt Sinai wants him, other, cheaper to live in (and probably more pleasant) places will, too.....

Hope you can come on Sunday!

12:10 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

The sweater turning out great!! Sending good mojo~~~~~~must have enough yarn for collar~~~~~

We will miss you!! I know Texas isn't everyone's cuppa tea, but we love ya' anyway!! (Damn yankee...j/k!)

1:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the sock and The Spawn's sweater! Well I hope that what ever you and Dr MS and Chunkie decide I can come and visit. Love, Mom

1:14 AM  
Blogger AR said...

It's great that you'll be able to do the second sock, cuz the first one looks awesome!

Hope you work out the moving situation! It sucks to have to worry about stuff all of the time!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Sweater is looking good! If you end up with not enough for the collar, maybe another color?? Nice job on the sock too! Hoping all goes well with the move/job/etc.!! We're all rooting for you!! :)

11:49 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

My internet went on vacation...Did I miss a million things or what? Congrats on the job offer!!! Your idea sounds good. Go woth your instincts woman!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Woth? And where's the compliment on the gorgeous sweater? Carol: Can't spell, doesn't have manners.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

Psychotic waffles are delicious with schizophrenic butter and manic maple syrup.

This is so exciting. :-)

4:03 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Cute sock.
Kitty! Can't stop staring at the kitty and the yarn.
Kitty!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Yey sock...yep, a little behind on the commenting, but I wanted to mention, 2 days before the end of the month...I posted about K.A.Y.E. on my blog and have had 24 visits since then. No, not all me either :). So hopefully the word is spreading :).

7:02 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Well, since I apparently fell off the face of the blogearth this week, you're about to get a spamload of comments from me.

Great bjo on both the sock and sweater! And Squeaky's got a cool chameleon party trick going on there. Wish I could make my eyes change color to match my yarn. ;)

The move, job sitch, apartment hunting will all be just fine. I know this. Why? Because you're Bezzie.

6:07 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Er, I meant great job. not bjo. Which could be misconstrued in many different ways.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home