Thursday, January 18, 2007

What I Did On My Frozen Vacation

The ice was so bad that in addition to Tuesday being called off, they called off Wednesday as well.

By that time though, me and the Chunk had to get the hell outta the house. On Wednesday it wasn't too cold outside. I grabbed the camera and Chunky grabbed his ice whackin' stick.

Freeze Warning

Yeah our heat is broken and I'm sure as hell not leaving my faucets running until they decide to discount my water bill. Frozen pipes be damned!

Frozen Violet

Taking a page from Elizabeth's dead flower photography--I couldn't resist the iced over violets. Believe it or not these damn things are peppy and heads-up today. Violets in January! Do you see why living here bothers me so much?

Cedar

Check out these cedar flowers or are they pods? All I know for sure is that they're pollinating big time down here and you're not a real Texan unless you have an allergy to them. Sofar I'm sneeze-free. Thank god!

Never fear though! Five days off and I got some great knitting done. I cast on for that baby sweater for Dr. Mad Scientist's Brother's Baby (hereinafter "The Spawn").

baby sweater

It's my own design. It satisfies my recent craving for cables, something fast, something with sleeves, something green (yes, that a light green), something simple and something girly.

Is it bad I'm a little bummed I'll have to give it up?

Labels: , , ,

21 Comments:

Blogger OldLadyPenPal said...

Wait, what? What are you giving up? You're not giving up knitting, are you? Bah. What am I saying?

And no, sweet woman, I did not at all hand-sew that thing. I went to Target and bought a mini sewing machine for $20. Yay Target!

And holy cats, Chunky is looking so BIG! He looks so manly now!

8:59 PM  
Blogger YArN KNiTa said...

Yeah for hitting ice with a stick! I am jealous! I only had the one day, but I am hoping for another tomorrow.

10:33 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Two ice days, nice!

Ooo, can't wait to see how the sweater turns out! Like those cables. Well, hey, just have yourself another kid and you won't have to give it up. After The Spawn grows out of it, they'll give it back to you for Chunky 2. ;)

10:52 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I love your icy flowers.

The cables are looking good.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

5 Days off? Damn, wish we could get a freeze! I see time off equals great designs for RK! That's a really nice sweater! Thw spawn is lucky to have an Auntie Bez!

6:20 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

Lovely cables! Too bad you couldn't bring Chunk up here to New Hampstah...we got us a pantload of ice to whack! And some snow this morning too!

Ah, all is right with the world again...

6:36 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hey, cool ice photos!! The violet one looks like it is being protected, encased in the ice. Love the sweater so far! Go you! :)

7:20 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Awesome icy photos!

8:01 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I love your icy photos! Glad you got to get out and enjoy it! It's beautiful in it's own way. Good luck with the baby sweater. It's lookin' good! :)

8:32 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I love the icy flowers pictures. Very cool. (no pun intended!)

10:45 AM  
Blogger Queen Frogger said...

Wow nicey icey photos! I can't imagine how cold it must be there. Your cables are lovely!

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As everyone is saying Nice Icey photos. I will send you a pic of our snow sea waves that we have out in the back yard! I am sure that some of them are as tall as I am. (That is not saying much, since I am only5'2") But they are cool cause there are some places that are totally bare! Tell Chunkie that he can come up here and wack ice with a stick any time he feels like it, and for almost 9 monthes out of the year! Glad that you and Chunkie could get out of the house on those days that everthing shut down. That baby sweater is looking GOOD! Love, Mom

1:16 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

LOVE those frozen flower pictures! I'll have to remember that if we get ice this year!

Hope the weather is getting better.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

NO HEAT STILL??? WTF?

2:07 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

I love the ice whacking stick! Kinda tiny... for tiny Texas ice! Beeeutiful photos of the frozen flowers!!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Grrr.

Stupid new blogger. deleting my old comment...

Anyhow.

I love your mom's comments!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Those are nice cables. The sweater should be perfect:) We got a little snow here, but not much.

Ang

10:03 PM  
Blogger Denice said...

My husband held my little 2 year old son up to whack icicles on our house today, and I thought of you and Chunky. I hope you end up in Wisconsin so he can go wild with ice next winter!

1:25 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

We got just one ice day......that seems so wrong...were in The Great White North your in Texas...crazy stuff.

Love how the little sweater is looking...and if you don't want to give it up well you and Mr. Mad Scientist better you know ~wink wink~

11:11 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Love those cables! And I can't believe that it never occured to me to take pictures of the ice. I'm such a bonehead! :)

11:13 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

Ohhh pretty. That's far too normal for when the next Bezlet comes along though so I think you should give to the spawn and put you crazy creative head on instead.

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home