Friday, January 12, 2007

Woo to tha Hoo

Over at Ceallach Knits, Ceallach is counting the things she's grateful for.

While I'm not nearly a sweet enough person to do this on a daily basis I've had enough going on this week that I can count my blessings.

Happy Thing One: We got our deposit check in the mail from our old apartment management company. Wow. We lived there for six years. For five of those years we had a kid, and two cats! I can tell you right now there was a hole in the wall in the living room where water had leaked in and molded through the dryway; I broke the mirror in a postpartum flurry of wrathful bitchdom; and the closet track thingy was shot to hell. That's just a few things wrong. People in the Lansing area bitch a lot about DTN, but I'm going to give them two thumbs up! Plus our apartment manager was a super sweetie--she cried when Dr. Mad Scientist left because we had "truly" left when he left!

Happy Thing Number Two: This is a three day weekend. Thank you Martin Luther King, Jr. Enough said!

Happy Thing Number Three: Christmas in January! My Youngest Younger Sister and Youngest Younger Brother sent us our Christmas presents. There is nothing cooler than getting Christmas presents AFTER Christmas! In addition to getting us The Best of Will Ferrell on SNL (YYB) and the Knit Pattern A Day Calendar (YYS), YYS also sent me this:

100_2509

Real Alaskan Snow! The fine print reads: "Snow may have melted due to the property of solids becoming liquids at their melting point." Wuhahahaha! I brought it into work to show those Texas Natives what snow looked like. YYS also sent me that cool Buddah bracelet I'm wearing there.

Happy Thing Number Four: Speaking of snow--expected weather this weekend? Sunday 60 degrees and storms. Monday 42 degrees and rain. (Hey, I'll take the closest to "cold" weather as I can get!)

Happy Thing Number Five: Dr. Mad Scientist scored an in-flesh interview with the peeps from Mt. Sinai. They're working out the details as to when he'll fly up there.

Liz brought up two very good points, Mt. Sinai might mean living in a very expensive place devoid of real nature (well OK, based on my perception). However, the joy of a postdoctoral position is that it's only two or three years (one of the original reasons I was willing to move to Texas). Lord knows we've lived in Alaska, Colorado, Michigan, and now Texas in the past seven years, by the time year ten comes around we'll be ready to move to greener pastures.

As for devoid of real nature? Well that's the downside of being born and raised in Alaska.
littlesu

EVERYTHING pales in comparison.

deaddogriver
I mean you could walk to this river from my house.

Or see this view from simply turning to your right in our front yard.
the tracks

Seriously nothing down here in the Lower 48 comes even close. Nothing. (Those photos are all courtesy of my SIL)

Secretly I'm holding out for Wiconsin.

Happy Thing Number Six: Wisconsin called while he was on the phone with New York and left a message saying they wanted to "talk further" with him.

Happy Thing Number Seven: Browsing Kootchie Awareness prize yarn at work is a great way to sooth your nerves after having to deal with idiot faculty and newbie first semester students full of useless questions about what color scrubs to buy in case after they graduate (in two years!) they get a job somewhere that doesn't require the white scrubs we require. Boy, I thought I was cheap!

But the browsing has led me to a question--what kind of yarn do y'all dig? I know what I like. What's your favorite go-to yarn? Worsted weight? Sock yarn? Solids? Chunky? Wool? Silk? Tibetan Yak? So many choices! Half the fun of this contest is going to be buying yarn even if I am giving it away. (I cannot guarantee that if you win a prize that your yarn will come to you in a virgin-unfondled state hee hee!)

Let me know.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo!! I'm first, that never happens. :)

I have been wanting to go to Alaska just for the northern lights alone, one phenomenon I may never get to see in my lifetime.

I'd say worsted weight yarn is the way to go. It's versatile and if it's 100% wool there's the added bennie of felting!! :)

I love reading the adventures of finding Dr. MS a job. Can't wait to hear where you all end up!

9:18 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Love the bottled snow, and what YYS put on the label! That is great!

If they're flying him up there, that is a VERY good sign. Will cross my fingers on Wisconsin for you, though. :)

Wow, those pics of Alaska are AMAZING! Make me want to jet up there right now.

Me, I'm all about the sock yarn right now. But you probably already knew that. ;) Wouldn't kick worsted or bulky merino out for eatin' crackers in bed, though.

10:30 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

That's a pretty groovy list--and that was just one page in the life of Bezzie!!

11:17 PM  
Anonymous kristi and otis said...

This used to be the view from my backyard (http://www.powellguide.com/) and now I have suburbuia with some saplings :(
So...nothing in Lansing????

11:21 PM  
Blogger janna said...

I love the bracelet! Personally, I like finer yarns (I typed 'yearns' first - I guess I yearn for yarn!). Fingering, sock, lace-weight. However, DK would be a nice compromise.....

11:40 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Seattle is the first 'big city' I've lived in since...ummm, yeah, moving away from "home" when I was 18.

I was waxing nostalgic today on the big trees, rivers, oceans, hills, etc. that my small-town experiences have provided... city livin' is kinda cool though.

The "hep" thing lately is all about sock yarn...It's a great give-away yarn cuz you can pretty much make a whole project with just the one 450-ish yard skeins...quite practical!

1:10 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

That's fabulous news. I hope he gets the pick of both.

5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! The MS's job search is going GREAT! I still have my fingers crossed for WIS. As for the YYS and YYB Christmas presents getting there...Well Mom was the one who took them to the PO and made sure that they got out. She also got the boxes for them. Yes there are all kind of things that we can be thankful for...Your Dad has an interveiw with the CU this Tues! I may get to come down and see my Favorite Eldest Daughter and Family yet!!! As for the yarn well if I win you can hold it over and have a second drawing. I also want to help you with the prizes. I won't tell you here what I have in mind cause it is a secret! Love, Mom

10:01 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

Alaska is on my must-see list. My Aunt taught in Nome in the early sixties and never got it out of her system. She was in love with the place.

As for yarn, I'm all about the worsted, wool please, and if it's handspun and/or handpainted, weeeehooooweeee!

10:21 AM  
Blogger AR said...

Those pictures make the cold seem worth it. Gorgeous!

I love sock yarn, or worsted weight wool, or.... I love yarn.

The snow must have been a great gift. How cute.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

that is a good list, and you have money and prospects of more money! Not bad! You know I'm rooting for WI, but for selfish "I might one day meet the famous and infamous Bezzie" reasons... I like worsted for all around project-ablity. I got that pattern a day calendar too!

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Denice said...

Darn it, Blogger just ate my post.

As I was saying. . . .I'm so glad Dr. Mad Scientist is having all sorts of great job prospects. You'll be out of Texas before you can even blink.

If it were me, I'd choose sock yarn, because I love being able to make an entire project out of one skein of yarn. But I love sport weight for the same reason for socks.

I hope you get more signups for the KAYE this month. I still have 6 more women to tell about getting annual pap tests before I get to sign up.

Hope the interviews go great!!!

6:39 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Bezzie-
You will have to email me when you come to visit your family!

It was beautiful here today (30 degrees and sunny). My husband and I had to shovel the roof off because the icicles were getting so long and we knew the ice jams would start messing with the gutters. We are supposed to get more snow this week, so we had to do it while we had the chance. Ah...the joys of living in Alaska! I love it!

As someone who has lived in Illinois, on the Minnesota/Wisconsin border (college), and in AK, would say Wisconsin is the way to go! Hopefully this is where you get to start your next adventure.

I would agree with everyone else and say worsted weight.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yay for your happy things this week! So glad for you! As for the Alaska photos...gorgeous, and I would love to wake up to a mountain range in the mornings...

As for the yarn, it's all good, well except for *gasp* lace weight! (for me anyways!) Let me know if I can help!

10:06 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Any yarn that's a prize is good yarn!

The NYC thing... It's great that DMS has an face to face interview, but remember, you don't have to live in NYC. NJ is a beautiful state (even tho we disguise it with the smelly turnpike) and very commuteable to NYC.

Just putting my bid in for the east cost. ;-)

12:39 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Well, you're a braver soul than I. For the record, I was raised and lived in the armpit of America (I mean NJ) for most of my life, and even though most of the bad things they say about NJ are true, there are good things, too. Like.... Well...

The bagels! ;)

1:29 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I think the best thing to consider is that it be enough for one project. Perhaps a hank of cascade 220 (enough for fuzzy feet) or a hank of sock yarn (100g) or some laceweight. A rotating cast of characters ya know? That being said, I think February's should be sock yarn. >.> No reason.

10:35 AM  
Blogger LilKnitter said...

Ooh, I'm thinking good hopeful thoughts for you and Dr. Mad Scientist!!

I likes me a finer yarn, or reeeally fat yarn. As lovely as Patons Classic is to knit with, I find the stitches a little big unless I'm using unusually fine needles. So I guess I'm for DK/worsted, or super bulky. I'm a very extreme person, at times.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Seriously Bezz....I've lived in CA, AZ, NM, NV, MI, NY(upstate), England and Israel. And visited AK.

I think you'd love it here.

I saw 3 pods of Elk today, a bald eagle, a huge buck deer, mountain sunset, and there is snow in my backyard. Not to mention the rivers, canyons....

You should come visit at least!

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home