Saturday, February 03, 2007

It Has Begun

I got a few solid hours of packing in today. The place is already a mess.

100_2687

But so far, so good.

Giving my two weeks notice was incredibly painless.

When we broke the lease, they told us we had to give 60 days notice and pay 2 months of future rent as a penalty, but because they like us they only charged us 1 month future rent (and two extra days--damn February for only having 28 days!). I think it helped that they were able to lease our place out the DAY we gave notice we were leaving to someone else. I'm also not discounting Chunky's ability to charm the ladies who work at the front desk of the leasing office as helping us out.

The moving truck was also incredibly cheap to rent. Only $850 this time. When we moved from Lansing to San Antonio it cost us $1100 for an 18 foot truck. Did I mention we ordered the 26 footer this time? That's a massive overkill but the 18 footer won't fit our bed since it's all THREE of us moving this time--hooray! Allegedly the larger truck gets better gas mileage too. I don't know if that's a scam to get you to upgrade or what. I'm no engineer so it worked on me!

A couple of people have tried to tell me that I'm an idiot for trying to move with a Penske (think U-Haul but more reliable and cheaper) truck to the city.

Even though we still don't have housing lined up, I seriously don't think I can live in the city. We're eyeing some cities in New Jersey that are a bit over an hour commute for Dr. Mad Scientist. He'll just have to deal and bring a sleeping bag to the lab if he ends up running overnight experiments.

No knitting to speak of right now. I only had the Cordless Yoke Pullover on the needles and the boredom of the sleeves made it quite easy to pack that puppy up! Basically that leaves my other swirly sock that's unpacked and actively being knit. I'm planning on hitting the knitting group Janna introduced me to (I don't know if they have an official name, so that is how I shall refer to it!) for a little post-packing, pre-game knitting tomorrow afternoon. I'll try to post pics of the sock after that. It's having some swirl issues that I'm not too keen on.

Lord knows if I do much more packing I'm going to end up looking like this:

100_2686

Don't let that smug pissed off look fool you. That little furbag loves it when we move--she can indulge in her box fetish!

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Janna said...

Oh, I'm so glad you're coming tomorrow!

9:03 PM  
Blogger The Fluffy Ewe said...

What is it with cats and boxes/paper bags? Like a moth to a flame, I tell ya.

Oh moving sucks balls. I do not envy you in the least. I think and hour commute in NYC is really the norm so he shouldn't get TOO grumpy about it.

Once nice thing about moving, it's the only time you get to go thru ALL of your crap and you can weed out the junk you don't need anymore. I swear when we moved from the house to an apartment we probably threw out a whole house full of junk. :)

10:32 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

You are so calm right now! Amazing. I'm sure that you'll land on your feet.

Don't forget to visit the vet and get some sedatives for the cats. It really helps on long car/truck trips. One more thing for the "to do" list.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Glad you are going to knit and relax a bit! You deserve it! Quick and painless packing vibes going your way!! ;)

1:01 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

So what's the official date of departure? So I know when to start jumping up and down with excitement...I hate to waste energy dontcha know...

10:28 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

You're going to be soooo much closer to us! That's exciting!

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well things look like they are moving right along. Sorry no pun was intended there. I hope that you have a save trip and a good night in the ATL place. T should be good for a nights laugh. I wish that I could help you on your sock problems, but I know nothing about knitting. Love, Mom

2:15 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Yup, my furballs have a thing for boxes too. Also suitcases and bags of any sort.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Queen Frogger said...

Good luck with the move ... and the box crazy cat!!

2:30 PM  
Blogger AR said...

Cats are just weird!

Best luck moving. I hate packing, but it's a great time to get organized(ish). hehe

4:05 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

yay yay yay! If you need a stopover in IL, email me!!! Congrats on getting out of Tex-ass and on to bigger and better things!!

10:27 PM  
Anonymous NikBudnik said...

I am so sorry. I hate cats.So much.

Cant wait till you get here...once again, practice the Peace mantra...Oooommmmm...and it will all be ok. We are looking forward to your visit. Sans cats, right? Or, oh Shit...are they coming Too?

10:50 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I certainly don't envy the packing and unpacking, but hopefuly a grand adventure and good time wait at the other end of the move!

12:15 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

LOL - aren't babies like that, too? You can get them all sorts of cool stuff, but all they're really interested in is the box. ;)

12:26 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Good luck with the move! Whew!

Kitties love moving. I know it.

Happy kitties. That is until they're in the Penske for 3 days.

4:24 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Keep an eye on that crazy kitty and that sweet boy--I don't want to see a story on the evenng news--"Boy and cat left behind at gas station..."

5:32 PM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Oh yeah, Kitties and boxes are a classic mixture. I had a box that I moved 5 times because my little kittie loved it so.

I'm happy to hear your coming to NJ. Here's hoping for a very easy move for you.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Good luck with the move! All in all, this happened kind of fast! Now you guys will be like the Sopranos, live in Joysie and commute to the Big Apple-cool. The cat is packed and ready to go.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Good luck with the move. Fingers crossed this time it's for longer. At least you're getting out of hell even if the pennance is another long distance move so soon after the last.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home