Thursday, March 15, 2007

KAYE Update & New Craziness

It's Thursday, the day I feel obliged to remind people to keep my Kootchie Awareness Yarn Extravaganza in mind. There's still months to participate!

I also want to thank all of those who have graciously donated yarn and/or have emailed me with their entries.

I'm thinking with the yarn various peeps have donated, I'd like to give it ALL away as one large grand prize at the end. After all the monthly drawings are done come December, it might be neat to pull an extra name out of the pot.

Remember, even if you had your exam back in January, you're still elegible to enter. Your odds of winning just decrease a smidge because now, in March there are more names in the pot than there were in January.

As for this month's prize? I've got plans to meet up with some knittyheads in NYC next weekend (not this weekend) for a yarn crawl. Of course Dr. Mad Scientist doesn't know this yet, but oh well ;-). Since we're tight on the scratch, buying a skein (or two) of something nice for KAYE prizes on the crawl will make me feel less guilty for buying yarn. I have to admit, I do love that aspect of this contest.

Ok, on to new craziness!

The other day the weather warmed up to Texas-winter proportions. So El Chunkmeister and I hopped over to the local Home Despot to buy a large bag o'dirt using the 10% off your purchase coupon the postal service gives you when you change your address.

Now that we're in a real house with a real yard, I will be planting real plants!

I'm not sure how I found Liz's blog, but I've been going there for a while to read about her life on a Maine homestead. She's always got the best links on there too.

It was through her blog I got turned on to a gardening website that eventually led me to Containerseeds.com. I took our shopping list and compared the produce we buy on a regular basis and ordered the corresponding seeds from this website.

They haven't come in the mail yet, but we had a few seeds we scored earlier so Chunky and I set to work.

100_2908

I put Chunky to work hand-tilling the dirt my cilantro was in. Sadly all of my plants died in the moving truck on the way here.

100_2910

I've been saving little plastic containers and whatnot to start our seeds in and we stuck everything we planted (cilantro, green onions and nastursiums) up on the Churchy window sill to keep everything away from the cats. It looks lame in that window now, but once they start sprouting and last frost has passed, I'll transplant the onions at least into a bigger pot and move all of the pots outside.

100_2911

I love container gardening, although I prefer to call it pot gardening. It sounds more edgy that way. Hee hee!

Even if I could plant a bed garden here I don't think I would. I like the fact that container gardens are moveable. If my cilantro starts to die in the shade, I can move it into a sunnier part of the yard. Or I can bring everything inside if it gets too cold outside. You can't do that with a normal bed!

We also started something that's going to be a total experiment. Something I'm dubbing The Great Urban Potato Experiment.

100_2913

Nowhere on the internet is there anything written (that I could find) about starting a potato plant from a non-seed potato. In fact they discourage you from using store-bought potatoes.

Well that's all fine and dandy. But it's kind of hard for me, the person who only wants one or two potato plants to buy just one or two seed potatoes.

So using a Yukon Gold potato bought at the grocery store we're going to try to grow our own plant.

Hey, the pioneers didn't have special "seed potatoes" they bought. I imagine they used the old potatoes from their last crop. We're making like urban pioneers and trying to plant our own potato plant from a store-bought potato.

Cross your fingers that this works!

Labels: ,

23 Comments:

Anonymous Melissa said...

Yeah, I want to plant a garden this year, too - now that we're in a house with a yard, and everything. (Problem is, any changes to the property must be cleared by the homeowner's association. We got a letter from them last week asking us to mow our lawn. They *watch* us.) And I just got rid of some potatoes that were cheerfully and enthusiastically turning into plants. I'm sure your setup, with 'sunlight' and 'water' will work just fine, but if you want real growth, chuck a bag with a few spare potatoes into a darkened corner of your pantry and leave it for about three months. They look really cheerful (if a bit pale) after that.

12:06 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Last spring I planted a pot of nastursiums (I have no idea how to spell 'em). Well, as soon as I put them on the "deck" the damn birds ate them all up. Thanks birds.

-T.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

Feh. I think we started potato plants like this once a year every year when I was in school. And I can guarnadamntee that my mother took spuds right from the spud drawer to do it, too.

Come to that, I've been able to start potato plants of my own actually IN the spud drawer just by not using them in a timely fashion.

I've got a bag in there right now that's halfway to vodka even as we speak...

12:35 PM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

I, too, am a container garden fan (living in a townhouse 'n all), though I mostly stick to flowers.

The past two summers,though, I've planted pots of mixed flowers with different herbs for greenery. They look great!

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your spuds should come out OK. So where outside will you put them? Do you have a deck or a portion of the yard? Details girl we need details!!! Chunkie sure looks like he is having fun. Love, Mom

12:50 PM  
Blogger mazhalai said...

i always plant anything thats sprouts.. last year my potato plants grew really tall.. but all i got was one tiny tiny potato.. but just watching them grow is fun.. this year im trying ginger.. the potatoes did not make it this year :(

12:51 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I actually live near a lady with a bed garden - literally! She took an old bed fram filled it with dirt and then planted it with flowers. We drive by it sometimes and it sits right in the front yard.

1:00 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

When I was a kid my mom would start a plant from an avocado pit and then we'd plant it and it would die. But it was exciting to see it come out. I remember she used one of those free drinking glasses gas stations used to give away.

P.S. I love the photos of Chunky. He always looks like he's having a good time.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Meg Weaver said...

We used to grow potatoes on the porch every summer. We'd stack up several old tires and fill them with straw and then water them profusely. At harvest time, simply tip the whole thing over and shake the straw off the potatoes.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Cool planting stuff you have going on there. I have some pumpkin seeds from Halloween I want to try with the girls.

I look forward to seeing your garden progress!!

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Birdie said...

If your potatoes don't turn out, I'm marching up to the elementary schools to call the teachers all liars. That's where I learned to grow potato plants like that. Although, I don't think I'll have to be name calling the teachers, your potoatoes should grow just fine.
I bought a couple of plants last semester, one of which was a goldfish plant I dubbed "Goldie." Well, Goldie hates me. Apparently Goldie is high maintenence. Needless to say, Goldie died. Pisha, Goldie. Pisha.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Bobbi said...

I think you're right on with the container gardening. Last year I planted a "real" one and it was just too much work, I'm back to containers this year!

Thanks for the reminder I'll be making my appointment my annual check up tomorrow. wooohooo! Can't wait :)

5:14 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I might try a tomato plant or two. Calvin keeps tilling the soil FOR me in one of my big pots so I may move that out to the patio and see what I can grow. Hmm...

And oh! I got my wonderful K.A.Y.E. prize in the mail tonight! It's wonderful! Instant gratification indeed! It'll be Friday's pr0n. =)

5:56 PM  
Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

You are such a great mom. Seriously!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I have two avocado plants (they grow so slowly when it's not warm....) in my living room. Some day they will be trees...maybe I'll even have a yard to plant them in...one can always hope...

10:37 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Glad you'll be able to do some urban gardening!! Look forward to seeing the results. Chunky looks like he's having fun too! :)

11:10 PM  
Blogger Bufanditas said...

I prefer container gardening myself. Not only is it less work and you avoid tilling the ground, you can easily move the stuff around if needed as you mentioned.

3:23 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Your potato plants will come out very nicely, but you may not get any potatoes. The reason they discourage using potatoes from the store is that they are often treated to keep them from sprouting. I ordered seed potatoes this year, and I'll probably have many, many extras, if you'd like ... ;).

Potatoes can be grown quite nicely in containers, as well. Here's a site to check out for growing potatoes in small spaces: http://www.humeseeds.com/potato.htm.

Have fun! Gardening is awesome, and growing your own food, no matter how much or how little is just an amazing experience. Beware, however, like knitting, it's addictive ;).

8:19 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

I'm not a gardener and plants wither and die at my approach. But I'm really curious to see how your potato experiment turns out!

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

OOOOH a garden! I wish I had a place to plant a garden. :(

I do seem to kill lots of plants tho. I'm getting only a TEEEENSY bit better!!! :D Once I have that all set, then maybe I can experiment like you. In another ten years or so. He!

Hey, I got my annual thingy done on Wednesday for KAYE! WOO HOO! In and out in 10 minutes.

So please do enter me in for the contest. I also would like to donate some yarn so can you please email me about what I need to do?

rosigarmendia AT gmail

You're the best for doing this!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Sounds like it will work out fine.

Hooray for "pot gardening"! ;)

10:51 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

yay for your yard and all the goodness that is to come! YUM!!

10:05 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Good Luck with the pot gardening! Looks like you and the Chunkster had a lot of fun.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home