Thursday, March 08, 2007

Our Move--Part 3

Today I'll combine a couple of days. This move was dubbed "The Great Sibling Tour of 2007" since we were able to hit three of our nine combined siblings for visits! This also explains our chosen route up to New Jersey as well.

Just a quick warning before I go on, unless you're family, these posts will probably bore you!

February 17, 2007

Saturday was the day of cousins!

Growing up, I was well into my teens before I met any of my cousins (ah, Alaskan upbringing!). And even though I have scads of them, I can count the number I've actually met in person on my right hand. So this was pretty momentous for Chunky to be able to meet 4 of his 13 (soon to be 14) cousins.

After we left my sister T. in Atlanta, we went see my Oldest Younger Brother.

My Oldest Younger Brother and his wife and kids live in North Carolina on See More Weiner Airforce Base.

We met OYB in a parking lot of a mall outside of base. We then hopped into his shagaliscious minivan (complete with a petrified pickle slice on the seats--can you tell he has four kids? Hee hee!) to procure the required documents to get on base.

Then we had to follow him in our respective vehicles all the long way around See More Weiner to enter through the "truck entrance" gate.

Once there, the Rent A Cops (did you know they don't use actual military people to guard bases anymore? They're spread pretty thin these days--thank you Jorge Bush!) acting as base guards pulled us all over as they popped the hood on The Pig and had Dr. Mad Scientist open the back of the truck.

Aside from that (which I imagine is pretty standard procedure after various domestic terrorist acts involving moving vans) we got into See More Weiner OK.

Lucky for us, Oldest Younger Brother lives across the street from the base clinic and Dr. Mad Scientist was able to park The Pig in their parking lot for the night. Also lucky for us is that Oldest Younger Brother's wife, Kindubkin's (I believe that's her leprachaun name), parents are always visiting them in their big ole fifth wheel camper and OYB and Kindubkin are used to accomodating visitors with larger vehicles!

As soon as we landed, Chunky took off to play with his closest-in-age cousin Booshe.

We were lucky to get this picture of all the Cousins "B" together:

Cousins of the B

Booshe is the little one snuggling up to Chunky there and then behind him are Lizzle and Paulo. The little guy in front is L2. (I'll call him L2 because his name also starts with L and he was born on his sister Lizzle's birthday--which happens to be this Monday. Happy Birthday Ls!).

We didn't see much of Chunky the rest of the night as he was busy playing with Booshe and L2 (but more Booshe!)

e, a and l

I tell you what, after spending time with those little kids, especially L2, I totally want another little boy! I tried to convince Kindubkin that I would trade her a couple of cats for L2, but she resisted.

Damn.

And for those intrigued with the sibling lookalike factor, here's a picture Kindubkin took of me and OYB.

Gene and Kaye

I was standing on my tippie toes there though. I've been cursed to be the midget of the family (although I swear I've got 3/4" on my mom).

We had a great time visiting these guys. My brother got married about a year after me and Dr. Mad Scientist did so I a) hadn't seen him since January 1, 2000 (right after my wedding) and b) hadn't met his wife or kids!

I gotta say I was impressed with his wife Kindubkin. She's a cool chick. But I realize I failed to get any pictures of her!!! But I'll give you one anyway:

N

Isn't she gorgeous? Now you can see where those kids got their good looks (ha ha, sorry OYB! Don't feel bad, it's an insult to myself too--we share the same genes!)

On to the next day which was:

February 18, 2007

This was Day 3 of our Great Sibling Tour. We drove from my bro's in North Carolina to Dr. Mad Scientist's brother's place in Powhattan, Virginia.

Regular readers will know that this brother is a soon-to-be parent of The Spawn that I made that baby sweater for.

Again, I myself hadn't seen Dr. Mad Scientist's brother in five years. And again, he got married about three years ago and I had never met his wife. Dr. Mad Scientist went down for their wedding but as any bride and groom will tell you, during the days leading up to your wedding, you're not really concentrating on hanging out with your family one-on-one.

We had a nice time meeting his wife and his in laws (they share a house with them...in sort of an upstairs-downstairs way, which will be nice when The Spawn is born, grandma will be nearby to help out all the time) and the herd of Pomeranian dogs they live with.

Apparently Dr. Mad Scientist's brother's wife (she doesn't have a cool leprachaun name) and her mom are really into these dogs. I mean REALLY into them. I think they own four? Or maybe six? I don't know, it was hard to count them, they were always underfoot or whining to be picked up.

We locked our cats in the guest bedroom downstairs to stay out of the dogs' way. I think Squeak and Springs could have taken them in a fight. However, they're not the brightest cats and probably would have pissed themselves in fear.

So that explains the extra body in this picture of the Bez Boys:

The Bez Boys

Alright, this entry went on for way longer than I intended. Sorry.

Don't worry, I can't wait to have this recap finished up already either! I've got other things, both knitterly and not to throw out there, but I'm waiting til the recap is complete.

Tomorrow: Bridges A Plenty, Bridges Galore!

Labels:

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! That is funny about not seeing Chunky once he met Booshe! Good pic of Kindubkin!!!! Those dogs are about twice the size of Pig Birdie's cat! I thought that they would be smaller. I am really enjoying this moving blog!! (No pun intended.) Love, Mom

11:48 AM  
Blogger LilKnitter said...

I like your family stories! I say, feel free to write as many as you'd like.

12:15 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Sounds like your family tour was quite the whilrwind! It is just too cute how much fun Chinky seems to be having with his cousins. :)

Holy mother of pouf, that's one fluffy pom!

12:45 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Er, Chunky.

Chinky might be a better nickname for my future child... ;)

12:46 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Those children are beautiful. You don't have to trade your cats for a new baby--just grab your man and get busy!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Inky said...

I'm enjoying this a lot. But suddenly I'm a little tired :)

1:15 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Oh man. What a fun adventure. I haven't been on a roap trip like that since I was Chunky's age.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

not boring at all!! heh. this was fun. thanks for all the sharing!

Plus, I GOT A NEW JOB so as soon as insurance kicks in and I find me a doctor, i can enter the contest! woot woot!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

The road trip of all road trips. Some day, you'll have to go visiting without a 24 foot truck. It'll seem so effortless!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

ah good times! I miss my cousins, not quite siblings, but closer than friends... I love the pic w/ bro. Hee hee!

5:15 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

It is amazing how much y'all look alike. very cool though.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

The coincidences never cease...Monday I get another year closer to earning my "granma" nickname...

8:57 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Moving isn't so fun, but you sure made the very best of it! Very cool for Chunky to have time with his family:)

10:15 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Whew!! What a trip so far!! Yeah, getting on military bases is so much fun now a days!!

12:07 AM  
Blogger Sunshyne said...

petrified pickles! - HA!

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Gene said...

Nice move blog! It was great having you guys here, but man oh man, we should have taken a picture together when we weren't so tired!! Haha.
Gene

7:40 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

Do I sense a Bezlet in the air? chunky looks in his element with the others to play with.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home