Saturday, March 10, 2007

Our Move--Part Five, Now with Real Knitting!

Alright, the next basically week from February 20 to the 26, we did jack crap.

We sat in our hotel and called, and called, and called the "realtor" we were dealing with to secure the place we currently live in.

We checked out a place in Perth Amboy while we were waiting for SeƱor Asshat (the "realtor") to call us back.

It was nice. Two bedroom, plenty of parking, hardwood floor. Thing is, when I went to ask the guy showing us the apartment how much he informed me he didn't speak English and called someone presumably working for the apartment complex who did on his cell phone to talk to me.

He hands me the cell phone with the person who allegedly spoke English. I ask again "how much?" And I have honest to God, NO idea what the guy said. Yes, he spoke English but it was heavily accented, and a VERY bad cell connection. Yikes.

Ok, I love cell phones, they come in really handy when you're on the road to tell your husband driving The Pig not to take Exit 24A because it has low clearance, but I hate doing business on them.

After a couple of times of asking Phone Guy "excuse me" to see if I could figure out what the hell he was telling me, I lamely wrapped up the conversation by letting him know we'd be in touch.

I'm sorry, but I'm not making any plans for the roof over my head with someone I can't understand.

So back to the hotel we went.

There was lots of time that week to nap.

sleepy

And knit!

Right before we left San Antonio, I finished up my swirly-fraternal socks.

100_2855

Like the way I posed them there? I figured it was fitting--on a bunch of broken down boxes. They've already been worn and washed once in this picture. Thus the wrinkley look.

So in the hotel I cast on a pair of socks using some Knitpicks Sockgarden yarn in Daffodil that Rachelle was sweet enough to send me.

Either it was because I had literally hours a day to knit, they were lace, or I was using size 2 needles (after using some Os to knit the swirly socks) this was the fastest sock I've ever knit!

100_2856

I knit it in a Yukon Leaves pattern.

Here's a closeup:

100_2857

Hm, yes, lace and striping yarn? Don't mix too well.

I finished the other sock just the other day.

100_2882

Very fast pattern.

In the hotel, after I finished the first sock, we still had like three days before we could move in. And I was out of yarn. So using the leftovers from the first sock, I made a mini-sock.

100_2858

Knitting for the sake of knitting. Boy, you know you're addicted when...!

Up next: Moving in!

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger The Fluffy Ewe said...

Teh socks look great! I book marked that pattern, ty for the linky.

I need some hours on end to knit, I am jealous of the time you had to knit. Knitting with a baby and a toddler in the house? HAHAHA! Who am I kidding?

Oh my verification is "bjundio". Makes me chuckle for some reason..

8:51 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Damn! I have mega tons of yarn and certainly could have driven some down to you. Heck - it was an EMERGENCY!

I knew there would be some emergency you'd need my phone # for... (heh!)

I hope you're settling in and all the unpacking is practically finished.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Knitting for knitting's sake! Too funny. And cute.

10:51 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I love the socks! I know what you mean about lace patterns. All my pretty yarn is varigated and all the patterns I want to try are lacey.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

dang, I have been knitting the same pair of socks since early December!

11:48 AM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

You drove across country, moving your entire family. You were homeless, fighting with a realtor, starting a new life and you still knit more than most of us....you are an inspiration! But as I have lost my knitting mojo (and yes I have checked under the cushions) I may have to not blog stalk you for a while ;-)

1:17 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Sorry I'm just catching up here - such an adventure! Someday you'll be looking over these pictures with a much chunkier chunky and reminiscing!

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I see that Springs is not only a behind warmer but a tummy warmer also! Ok! That little sock is just the cutest! Maybe you can do a pair for the Future Chunkie. Love, Mom

2:09 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

oh Bez! those Yukon Leaves are so gorgeous. too bad I hate top-down socks....cuz my feet are HUGE.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I LOVE the picture of you guys napping. It's just the cutest! Something about sleeping children does it to me every time, and sleeping and cuddling up to mom just makes it better.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Janelle said...

Maybe lace and stripes don't usually match, but I love those socks! And such a bonus that they knit up fast.

I love the picture of you all in the bed. You deserve some cuddling time!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

It's been a lot of fun reading about your trip so far. You've done a great job commentating it! I also like your lacy socks and you mini sock.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Hey, those little socks make great little decorations.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Bufanditas said...

I love the mini sock!!!! It's so sweet

11:31 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Great job on the socks! I've been pondering that Falling Leaves pattern. Good to know it's a quickie!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Fab socks especially the mini one - too cute.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home