Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Our Move Part...oh hell what part am I on?

Alright, so after a week in a hotel (yeah, there's $1000 I'll never get back) and much hair-tearing and teeth gnashing, we FINALLY signed our lease and signed over a large portion of money on Monday the 26th.

On Tuesday, the 27th we drove into Bloomfield.

Some of us got there faster than others.

Dr. Mad Scientist got lost in Newark. After going in circles for about half an hour he finally got a transit cop to direct him to Bloomfield.

If only it ended there! Bloomfield has very narrow streets. Bloomfieldians really like to park on these narrow roads and sometimes double park.

After half an hour of me and Chunky hanging out at the new place, I get a call from Dr. Mad Scientist.

He asks me if its OK for a grown man to cry.

Why?

Because after all that hell in Newark, right as he crossed into Bloomfield, he sideswiped a parked car. (See, he didn't call that truck "The Pig" for nothing!)

Best part? The person who owned the car? Yeah. A retired Newark Police Detective. Ha ha!

Allegedly Old Cop Guy had stopped to drop some of his friends off at the cleaners. I say "allegedly" because this is what the police report stated and Dr. Mad Scientist asserts that the guy was NOT in the car at the time. And when we drove past the scene of the accident a week later, I notice Old Cop Guy was parked by a yellow curb.

Anyway, Old Cop Guy and his old man cronies really got into Dr. Mad Scientist's face about the accident.

By the time Chunky and me got to the scene, the elderly gang had calmed down and admitted it wasn't a major accident and just scratched Old Cop Guy's car. Actually The Pig fared much worse--the step up to the passenger side compartment was completely bent up.

I also noted that when I got there, Old Cop Guy was parked at an angle with his front about 1.5 to 2 feet away from the curb. As someone who can't parallel park herself, I KNOW a shitty parking job when I see one.

But no worries. We were smart enough to pay the $120 in insurance that covered any damage to the truck. BEST $120 I spent the whole trip! And Penske's insurance will cover any costs to repair Old Cop Guy's car. I cannot recommend Penske truck rental enough. U-Haul can kiss my ass.

Onto the pictures of our new place shall we?

back door/closet
This is actually our "back" door. But it's the door closest to the driveway so it's the one we go in all the time. That closet there rocks. It holds all my tools, cleaning supplies, and joy of joys--the cat boxes. It's a perfect hidey-hole for the cats to do their business in. They can even close the door if they want privacy.

kitchen and doors
Backing up, I'm in the kitchen now. You can see the bathroom there to the left and our bedroom to the right. I'm not too keen on having the bathroom RIGHT off the kitchen. But hey. What can you do?

bathroom
Ooo...a bathroom. Oh the excitement!

kitchen
The kitchen. The oven doesn't work. Some jackass melted the oven controller knob. When I spoke to the landlord about it he told me I had to talk to the gas company about it. Um, yeah dumbass, it's not the gas company's oven, it's YOUR oven. Oh well. We'll just live without it until we can get some money to fix it, and then when we move out, I will replace the knob that we had fixed with the melted one. Muhahahahaha!

a's room
This is Chunky's room. It's a lot bigger than it looks. No closet, but that's no problem as all his clothes go into a set of drawers anyway.

dining room
Our ginourmous dining room! Our teeney little dining table is dwarfed by this room. Check out the window up there. Chunky has dubbed it the "churchy" window.

master bedroom
Dr. Mad Scientist's and my lovenest, erm, bedroom.

living room
The again, giant living room. And see that opening there to the right? That's a...

back of closet/room
...giant walk-in closet. This is just a picture of the back of the closet.

front of closet/room
This is the front of the closet. It's huge. Bigger than Chunky's room.

The moving in itself went, well, not too bad.

moving in 1

First up we had a problem with the couch.

It didn't fit inside.

We tried the front door. We tried the back door. We tried sawing a leg off the couch to get it to fit.

Nada.

Nothing.

So now when we watch TV we sit on these.

100_2907

We're thinking we'll just buy a futon for the living room. No more large couches for us. But again, when we get some money.

And then there was the bed.

Remember when I bought the bed? In July? When we thought we'd be living in San Antonio for a long time?

Well the whole headboard, mattress, and boxspring set me back a pretty penny. But silly me, I figured Dr. Mad Scientist had a real job at that point and well, I didn't want to sleep on the couch, so I bit the bullet and we bought it.

The kicker? The boxspring didn't fit inside our new place.

bedroom

So for a week we slept on the mattress on the floor.

But being our cheapass selves, we figured out a way to still use our headboard.

We set up the headboard and frame.
bed

We visited Home Despot and bought some supplies.
bed bottom

And ta-da, we can sleep off the floor once again!
sleepy!

ghetto box spring
You can see the boards supporting the mattress at the foot of the bed a bit. Beggars can't be choosers. All I know is that I'm glad we're not sleeping on a mattress on the floor anymore. We did that when we were first married when we lived in Fort Collins, CO. More than once I woke up with a spider crawling on me because we were so close to the ground. Heebie to the jeebie!

I don't know if moving itself is getting old, if we're not used to moving in to a second story place, or we're getting old, but this was by far the most physically demanding move ever.

Giving birth wasn't this bad.

At least after two hours of excrutiating pushing for dear life to pop Chunky out, I got to sit back, relax, take a hit of morphine, and let the doctors cut me open and remove him for me.

With moving in this time we had no such respite.

Next time we're hiring professionals.

By Tuesday afternoon both Dr. Mad Scientist and I had hit "the wall."

I remember being up on the landing half-way up the stairs with the mattress and my legs starting to buckle under me. I couldn't control them, I was that exhausted. Wow. Intense man. Intense!

Hey, did you notice something missing from the kitchen?

I did.

No fridge.

Yup. We had to buy a fridge. And after the whole couch/boxspring fiasco, I was extremely worried that we wouldn't be able to find a fridge that would FIT in the door.

But we went to Sears and browsed. The frontdoor is 23" wide. All the fridges they had on display were 23.5" wide at the least.

I was about to hang it up and just buy a shitty mini dorm fridge and mini freezer when we reached a dark corner of the fridge display.

And there it was! A 23" wide fridge!

fridge

It's smaller than a "normal" fridge--it's only 5" tall--but it fits our needs perfectly!

fridge

It was only $399.99. And $70 to deliver. And an extra $10 on top of that to deliver it next-day. But the salesman gave me a rebate for the $70 delivery fee. Apparently if you spend $399 or more, you get the delivery fee back. Ha ha! We made it by spending 99 cents more than that!

I love this fridge because it's OURS. One thing I hated about our past apartment life is that the fridges were so substandard. They never replaced them until we left. And they were energy hogs.

dollar test

But this one, actually HAS a seal so it won't suck up as much electricity! It passed the "dollar bill" test!

mm...fridge!

Can you tell I love it so?

So there you go. That's the end of our move! Whew! Finally!

Labels:

34 Comments:

Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

So when I first moved into the rental house in Hilo, HI, the oven was broken. The landlord did indeed say to call the gas company. I thought it was weird, but I did. See, it was RENTED from them, like my mom's old telephone from Grandma Bell. He tried his hardest to fix it, but in the end the landlord was TOLD by the gas company to buy us a brand new one.

Maybe it's the same there? Give it a try, it cost us NOTHING.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

re: the big couch....we have, uhm, funky stairs. Twists and turns and quite steep. I begged and begged for a couch (we had a futon), and when we went couch shopping, we found a couch that has removable backs. It made it a piece of cake to get up the stairs and thru the narrow spots. When you're ready to invest in a couch, look for that.

I'm glad you're all moved in now. Yay!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Inky said...

I had a dead oven in my teenie san diego rental and called the gas co. they fixed it, free. go figure.

best picture yet - you hugging the fridge - i hug the wall of our house sometimes....i love you house....

8:28 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Congratulations. The place looks great. Save all those bed parts! We did something similar when we first moved to NC about 10 years ago and I saved all the unused parts. Three years ago when we moved things changed and we needed all those parts to use the frame. I was glad I had them.

Be careful with the fridge. I'm not sure that much love for it is safe.

8:33 AM  
Blogger OldLadyPenPal said...

Aaaah! I'm so glad to see you safely tucked into a home. And it's really lovely! Your cats look perplexed, though. I'm glad you all got there safely! Hooray!!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Bobbi said...

wow the new place does look great. That completely sucks about the small doors! What's up with that?

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Liz said...

Glad you're all moved in, but what is up with providing your own fridge? That is seriously messed up. I mean, it's great that you get a more efficient one, but what renter wants to carry a fridge around from place to place? Weird.

9:06 AM  
Blogger The Fluffy Ewe said...

The box springs wouldn't fit thru the door? WTF? I have never heard that ione in my life. Are the stairs all twisty or something?

We have the opposite problem when we move. When I was pregnant with Toddling, we bought the most important piece of baby furniture, a king size bed for us. The box springs are two twin sized ones so those are no problem. Its the matress itself that we have to fold up like a burrito to get it up and down the stairs and even then it's like pushing a bowling ball thru a garden hose.

I hate moving too. I'm hiring movers the next time. Im too old for this shit. Lol

9:13 AM  
Anonymous JennaKate said...

I have the same fridge and its lovely. Glad you're getting settled in! =]

9:27 AM  
Blogger janna said...

I can understand why your couch and the fridge might not fit, but the box springs? That's just weird! But I'm glad you finally found a place to live, even without box springs and your couch.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Some friends of mine were moving into the second floor of an old house and they sawed the wooden frame of their boxspring so that it would flex a bit, but it still wouldn't get up and in. They ended up using ropes to hoist it to a second story window.

When you shop for a new couch, maybe try Ikea? (They're right near the Newark airport. You see it when you land.) Maybe they have something flat-pack that disassembles and would go in in parts, like Karen's couch.

Anyway, happy ending. I know you're still burning about the $1000 week in a motel, but really, getting in a place in only a week sound pretty successful to me in the scheme of things.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Linnea said...

That walk-in closet looks like the perfect place for a crafty yarn nook! Seriously, aside from the issues you're having with midget doors, it looks like an absolutely lovely home! Congratulations! Moving is exhausting to be sure, but I'm sure you'll be all settled and cozy in no time at all. Oooh, and congrats on the fridge, too, even if it was an unexpected purchase.

10:55 AM  
Blogger LilKnitter said...

Those are a ginormous living and dining room! Kudos to you!

I'm glad that you get to have a new fridge. Granted, a $399 fridge, but still, it's brand-y new with no broken parts and no left-over ooooze from former tenants, which is always nice.

I'm with Elizabeth. IKEA has el-cheapo options that often come flat packed (they have one that is ENtirely flat packed).

Happy new home, to you and the boys!

11:17 AM  
Anonymous ruth said...

The new house looks great, and that walk-in closet would make an excellent craft room. Oh and we've made repairs to places and then 'unrepaired' it when we left as the landlord was too cheap to do anything too.

11:20 AM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

I am so jealous of that walk-in closet. I've already filled my closet up with shoes.

I have a church window too, in the same spot in the living room (well, sorta).

11:48 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Looks like you found a great apt!!
When I saw the photo of the walk in closet I thought, "yarn storage"

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like that "Churchy" window! Good name for it Chunky! As for the walk-in closest I am thinking it would make a nice nursery! That doorway is very small what are you all going to do when it is winter and you all come in at the same time from some where? Push each other into the cat boxes? Just kidding! But I can see how you were not able to get your couch or box springs in. Love, Mom
P.S. If you want to make the walk-in closest a craft room I guess I can accept that. :)

1:20 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Like the new digs, very cute! I can't believe the landlord won't fix the oven, isn't he required to do that? But I do like your master plan to fix it then replace it with the broken knob when you move out. ;)

Fridge pron! Hope you at least bought it dinner first. ;)

1:58 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Ack! And I was seriously considering a new house and a move ... after reading your story, I'm so glad it didn't work out ;).

Welcome to your new home!

Before you buy a new futon or any other furniture, for that matter, check out freecycle.org. We scored a whole set of kitchen cabinets. You might also consider freecycling your legless couch, if you haven't already disposed of it :).

2:35 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

You're gonna overheat that fridge hugging it like that!

I have an old house with weird, bendy stairs and oddly shaped, non-standard doors. I have to measure EVERYTHING to make sure it will make it inside!

Congratulations on the new digs. Now, onto that whole "job" situation!

2:35 PM  
Blogger buttercup said...

DMS's run in with the retired Newark Cop is so unfortunate. We're not all that mean and hateful. Most of us are decent and nice and don't get all up in your face.

I definitely third (or forth?) the suggestion to go to Ikea for something that's packed flat. I have furniture from Ikea and I've had it for like 15 years.

It's good to see you and the fam are settling ing and the cats are de-freaking. Welcome to NJ.

2:59 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Wow. I can't believe you had to give up the box spring and the couch. What did you do with them? Please tell me you didn't freecycle or goodwill 'em. Tell me you found a way to sell 'em and make a buck.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

What a nice clean and huge apartment! Gosh, you lucked out.

Your fridge is adorable and so pretty! I remember my first washer/dryer, it was a deep and intense sort of love. I still think of it fondly, although we are many years parted.

5:27 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

All I have to say is, what did I tell you about Mom's comments?

Haha!

-T.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Maybe you could pay a moving company to come and hoist the bed and couch through a window for you? Otr at least consult with on eot see if there is a way to get the furniture in? although, overall, it's nice to have a home,isn't it?

6:28 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Congratulations on your new home! I've been waiting ages to say that. So glad you're finally there. Hope all goes well for you now that you're in and settled.

6:44 PM  
Anonymous KinDubkin said...

Thou shall not covet kitchen appliances. :)
Congrats, and Happy Housewarming!
Looks like a good place to make some great memories together.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

hump that fridge!!

11:08 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

hump that fridge!! congrats on the home!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Oooh! I know your move sucked, but I love your new place, it's fabulous! Enjoy your fridge, and go buy some stuff to fill up your walk-in closet! We wouldn't want it to look pathetically empty, now, would we?

7:43 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

It looks like a really nice place, Bezz!

I'd bitch about gettign the oven knob fixed. It doesn't sound like your problem to deal with.

Sorry about the car! Philly is crappy parking capital of the world, so I understand the double/bad parking crap.

Do you still have the boxspring? I had friends who cut the outside frame so it would flex in half (it was wood) and then used metal plates to screw it back together.

While you may not get $1000 back, remember to try to claim it on your taxes as a work related moving expense!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Hallelujah!! What? No ladies letting their dogs poop on your lawn? What kind of place you got there Bezz?

9:57 PM  
Blogger Bufanditas said...

After all the drama you've been through I'm glad you found a great place to call home.

I can't believe the entry doors to your house are sooo small. Definitely not ADA compliant at all.

3:17 AM  
Anonymous ajdury said...

Bezzie - are those your shoes in the 'foot of the bed' picture? They're A-damn-DORABLE and I'm currently experience the deadly sin of coveting now!

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home