Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Our Move--A Serial

I'm back! I'm back! I'm back!

Can I tell you how wonderful it is to be connected to the rest of the world? Finally?

Of course I haven't balanced my checkbook yet...and I just heard from my accountant. This time the lovely state of Michigan is trying to screw us tax-wise. Gah, like it's my fault they can't diversify their economy!

But now that I'm connected I can actually start looking for daycare and jobs! Even if it's part time I think we'll do OK.

So, where to begin?

Here's the plan dear Random Meanderers, I'll break our move down bit by bit each day for you so you're not overwhelmed with a bunch of crap and stop reading by the fourth paragraph.

I'll apologize right now though. I know technically this is a knitting blog, but there will be little to no knitting. Surprise, surprise I didn't get much done the past three weeks!!

Oh and hey, I know I'm six days late for the February KAYE drawing, but I will work on updating the pool with February's entrants tonight and will draw and announce a name tomorrow. So stay tuned! Don't worry, I didn't forget about my pet project!

Alright, if you've read this far--here we go on the recap!

February 15, 2006

We rented the truck on Valentine's Day, sent Chunky to school and spent the day loading it up.

Unfortunately we didn't actually leave San Antonio until about 10:30a.m. on the 15th.

We still had to pack up the final things in the truck (sleeping bags, broom, vacuum, etc.).

truckback
The boys all packed and ready to go on a sunny San Antonio morning.

We also had to attach Dr. Mad Scientist's car to the back of the truck on the tow dolly as well. Let me tell you how hard that is to do when the day before you've been hefting boxes and furniture and the night before you've slept on the floor!

But we did it! We packed a 26 foot truck all by ourselves!

the pig!
Dr. Mad Scientist dubbed the truck "The Pig" as he was the one stuck driving it.

Of course before we left we had to get a picture of Chunky at the wheel:

underage driver

About 12:00 p.m. we hit Austin and got stuck in a traffic jam rubbernecking an accident involving two 18 wheelers and a truck and a sedan on the opposite side of I-35. Yikes. I'm almost positive someone had to have died in that.

But the stop and go of that jam made Chunky live up to his blog-name. He blew chunks. Lucky for me, I prepared him for this (I learned from our last trip when he blew chunks shortly after crossing into Texas. Chicken McNuggets+Hot Car=Big Mess) and he got it all in a shopping bag!

So that accident, coupled with the sheer freaking size of Texas meant we only made it to Shreveport, Louisiana on the night of the 15th.

Stay tuned tomorrow when I detail February 16 and seeing the brief sights of ATL (that's Atlanta to us uncool folk) with my sister T.

(And there will be many more pictures tomorrow too!)

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Batty said...

What a move!

It's so good to have you back, I missed you. And you're closer than you used to be! Like, within drivable distance if I get the urge to go see real live Bezzies!

This is too much excitement for me, I have to go lie down.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous maryannlucy said...

Looking forward to the rest of your trip. Poor Chuncky! Hope he is settling in ok - how is school?

2:52 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Yay yay yay!!! Welcome back! You have been missed!

3:04 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Welcome back to your blog!
So far the story has me intrigued. I will be reading the further installments.
(Good Job Chunky, hitting the shopping bag! I get car sick too and stop and go is the worst.)

3:28 PM  
Blogger Bufanditas said...

Yay!!!! Bezzie's back. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your mid-cross-country moving adventure.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

I am just glad you are back online! I have missed you.

3:54 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I love the serials! I'm hooked.

I'm glad you've got a home now to settle into now. Welcome back as you can tell, you were missed.

4:07 PM  
Blogger janna said...

I was just worrying about you this morning - I was afraid you and the boys were sleeping in a state park or something.....

And Austin? It makes no difference what time you go through it, you will end up stuck in traffic.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'm so happy you're back! It just made my day.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

What a cutie at the wheel! Welcome to the east coast. Now, onto the NYC yarn crawl! :)

7:00 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

That Chunk-man is a trooper. Is there anything more nerve-wracking and exhausting than a moving truck?

9:14 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Yay! Your back your back!!!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

yay! life w/o RM is :(

10:53 PM  
Blogger Ruth's Place said...

I can't believe you packed that whole truck by yourselves, you deserve a medal just for that, let alone driving the thing and finding a house!

4:12 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

I saw you replied to something over at the coffee shop and I was doin' the happy chair dance here at work.

Hope you're settling in and will find a school for Chunky and something P/T for yourself. A girl has to have her own yarn cash!

7:52 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

Yay! So happy you made it in one piece!

8:09 AM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

Oooh, poor Chunky!!! I'm glad you were prepared with the shopping bag.

I have to admit, I am envious of the sunny San Antonion morning. I haven't seen a green lawn in months!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I was going to ask why in the heck you went across the south instead of going diagonally up through Arkansas and Tennessee, but then I saw that you have family in Georgia, and it made sense.

Welcome back! You've been missed ;).

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home