Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A Quick FO

Once nice (?) thing about being unemployed is I do have lots of time to knit.

I emailed my old boss (the one before The Man) to see if he was cool with still being a reference for me. Plus I hadn't heard from him in a while and he had no idea we were in New Jersey. It was nice to hear from him.

He mentioned his wife is expecting another baby girl in June.

Of course I had to cast on something!

When his wife was pregnant with their first girl I knit her a newborn hat. But she went 2 weeks overdue and ended up giving birth to a toddler-sized baby. I think the hat fit his daughter for like five minutes.

Knitting another hat was definately out. Besides, my knitting skills have really grown since I knit that hat four years ago. I decided on a baby sweater.

However, I have yet to find a baby sweater that I really like. So I set off designing my own.

It was to have a fun-fur bottom and cuffs and a simple turtle stitch (a stitch pattern I found in the Pattern-A-Day calendar my Youngest Younger Sister gave me for Christmas) on the body. The turtle stitch is mainly stocking stitch with a few purl stitches thrown in there in a staggered manner.

About 10 rows in, I realized my "staggered" purls weren't really staggering and instead creating a rib effect.

But I liked it.

I also tried to compensate for the difference in gauge in the fun fur and the pink yarn. That too didn't work out too well and gave the fun fur edge a kind of ripple-y flare effect.

But I liked that too.

The executive decision to scrap the sweater idea and turn it into a jumper was made.

100_2916

I dig it. I hope they will too. And I hope that his wife gives birth to a normal-sized kid this time!!

Pattern: My own creation

Yarn: Paton's Twister (bought for $1 at Joann's!) on the bottom and TLC Red Heart 100% acrylic in Country Rose for the body.

Needles: Size 9 for the fun fur edge and Size 8 for the body.

Notes: It was an easy to remember pattern. I could see myself making this for another girl baby someone decides to pop out in the future (and no mom, that would not be me!)

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

It's cute. But I gotta warn you. My first boy was a week overdue and just under 10 pounds. My second boy was also a week overdue and 10.5 pounds. I think couples who make one humongo baby are apt to make another big one the second time around.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

It is cute! Can I have one? The jumper, not the baby! ;P

8:54 AM  
Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

very cute.

9:15 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Cute!!

As the dichotomy of being unemployed & knitting:

Time to knit, no money for yarn
Money for yarn, no time to knit!

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK! But hey what can I say? I'm a grandma that likes grandkids! That jumper turned out real cute! And it looks like it would have fit your Oldest Younger Sister. I've been reading a new quilt mag and from this mag there are a lot of quilt shops near you!!! I will have to get down there some how and check them out with Chunkie! Love, Mom
PS You may join Chunkie and I checking out the quilt shops!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

Heck, both my kids came on their due dates and were over 8 lbs. Bobo was over 9!

Still, heffalumps that they were, they wore newborn clothes for quite awhile. You should be fine!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

hey - I LOVE the jumper! I'm always looking for cute things to knit little girls. The paradox of being a knitter-for-babies - our creations will be worn for only so long!

Congrats on the move, by the way. Hooray for fridge love!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

That's so cute! I love the Fun Fur edging.

I can't believe I just typed that, but it's true.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Must....have....pattern....

Something I have learned when knitting for the tots in our family. We make BIG babies. I always knit for like a size 6-9mo. That way, even if it is too big to start, it WILL eventually fit them.

12:02 AM  
Anonymous ruth said...

It's very cute! Pattern?

1:36 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

Cute!! I like the jumper! I had a 10 day late uber baby too! OUCH!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

That is too cute!! Good Job!

4:31 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

That is too cute! Dontcha just love it when stuff doesn't go according to plan but still works out? :)

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home