Thursday, March 22, 2007

Updates

It's Thursday. Update day. Lord I need to find a job! I've been blogging so much lately and about nothing really!

First up I'll show you some of the stuff I've been knitting since we landed in Jersey a little over a month ago.

We've got hardwood floors in both the bedrooms and linoleum in the kitchen which is right off the bedroom.

Dr. Mad Scientist actually requested I make him some slippers. I think aside from the CSU scarf I made him for Christmas the year before last, this will be the only thing I've knit for him.

100_3073

I wanted to do Fuzzy Feet, but decided against it since, dear god, I'm getting even too cheap to buy a skein of $4.99 Paton's Classic Merino Wool! I also no longer have a communal washer on-site like I did in Michigan or Texas so that makes felting a little more difficult. I don't do hand felting very well either. Plus I would have had to purchase a new set of DPNs.

So I just bought a nice forest green ball of Lion Brand Wool Ease for $2.68.

Even though Dr. Mad Scientist has pretty small feet (size 10.5--get your mind out of the gutter!) I think these are going to be too wide around his feet.

I'm not going with any specific pattern really--I didn't find any slipper patterns that didn't make me want to retch, so I just cast on 60 sts to see what would happen. We'll see. I'm in no hurry and they're a fast knit and will be even faster if I cast on few stitches next time.

Next up, I've been working on the sleeve for the Lace Bell Sleeve Pullover.

100_3075

I figure I'll start with the sleeves and not the body so that I actually get the damn thing done. I've yet to knit a real sweater with sleeves because of this. I hate sleeves.

100_3076

A close up for you. The color of the yarn is truer in the first picture.

Next up--guess what's sprouting?

100_3077

Look close! Oregano!

And...

100_3079

Onion!

I still haven't received my container seeds yet. I'm not sure what the hold up is. No worries. I figure I won't be able to start sticking anything outside for at least another month.

You can also tell that the Great Urban Potato Experiment has eyes.

100_3072

Mmm! We ate some more of the potatoes out of this bag and I am smitten with Yukon Golds. I hope these things actually take and we get at least one potato from this experiment.

Also a quick thank you to those of you sending in your KAYE entries or pimping the contest on your own blog!

I'm going into the city again on Sunday to meet up with some infamous knitters (Karen's just one of quite a few that should be showing...) and I can't wait to shop for prize yarn. I swear, that's all I'll get!

Maybe once I get a job I'll buy some yarn for me.

But at the rate that's going, getting a job might take a while.

Why?

Well in order to get a job, I have to find a daycare for Chunky (can't drag him to an interview now can I?).

I found him a daycare, but I have to get his shots all updated/verified that they're updated.

As you'll recall, I was going to take him to the Public Health Clinic yesterday. However, once I finally found it (after getting VERY lost), let's just say I didn't feel safe getting out of my car. I feel even more vunerable with Texas plates on my car. Nothing screams "Hey! A tourist!" more than out of state plates. Especially all the way from Texas.

I figured, screw it we aren't getting screwed as hard as I thought we would on our taxes this year, I'll just find a doctor that will take payment out of pocket (Dr. MS's health insurance doesn't kick in until 4/1 and even then I don't think he has a freaking clue about any of the details in adding me and Chunky. That's what happens when you get get your first real job when you're 29 years old.)

Lucky me--I found someone! But, New Jersey state law apparently prevents them from treating new patients without having all of their medical records first.

Sigh.

So I call up MSU Healthteam and ask what I have to do to request Chunky's records. Of course, I have to request them in writing. I can't be too upset, I understand why they do that.

In the mail on it's way to East Lansing today is my request. How long it will take them to send me his records--I have no clue. I had him slated to start preschool/daycare on April 2. I might have to call them up and bump it back now. However, I've already paid the registration fee, so he should have a spot saved.

Note to self for next move: Request medical records before we leave!!!

I also picked up the kindergarden registration packet for Chunky. Holy freaking crap. Wow. My Canadian potato farm dream looks better and better all the time.

As a renter I have to get a notarized copy of my lease to these people. How freaking idiotic is that? No one is going to notarize my lease! It's a COPY! How do they know it's my signature aside from the fact that I say it is? I know as a notary myself, there's no way I would notarize anything like that for anyone.

I sure as hell am not going back to SeƱor Asshat's (the "realtor") office to get their help either.

Thank goodness for nearly six years in a legal office. I'll just whip up a little affidavit swearing that I live in said residence and that said lease has been signed by me and Dr. Mad Scientist, have it notarized, and staple it to the back of the copy of the signed lease.

That's just one of the many hoops I have to jump through.

The form I have to fill out for his registration wants to know where Dr. Mad Scientist and I were born. That's in addition to what city and state. I can see wanting to know city and state for citizenship purposes, but the hospital? Why the hell do they need to know that?

Ah well, whatever.

Today might be an adventure too. I'm off to the Social Security Office. Somehow, along with misplacing my address book, I have misplaced my social security card.

I'm sure when we try to get our new driver's licenses and registrations this weekend that will be a sticking point. I've got my old one with my maiden name and a copy of my marriage certificate, not to mention a freaking passport. If that's not enough for them New Jersey bureaucrats can kiss my butt!

Alright, that's enough unemployed rambling for one day.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Your lacework is very pretty! Good luck with all the BS paperwork.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

I wish I could come help. I have this freakish thing where I love filling out forms. Any kind, the trickier the better.

The good news is that it won't be long before everyone is gainfully employed, immunized, enrolled, and settled in. Then you can look back on all of this and laugh.

While eating your homegrown Yukon gold potatoes with onions and oregano...

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Emilee said...

Oh my goodness, I'm sorry about all that drama. Moving is such a pain.

Your sleeve looks lovely though! I love that color.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

whew, lots going on with you!! Have you seen these bonsai potato plants?

1:11 PM  
Blogger buttercup said...

I hate to tell you... NJ Motor Vehicle Dept has a six point verification system for proving you are who you say you are. Check on line for what you need. I was turned away and I had my passport, birth certificate and OLD NJ licence!

NJ doesn't even take their own licences as proof that you are who you say you are. It's a messed up system

1:29 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

While you're looking for other employment, you might consider freelancing part-time at home. Check out www.guru.com. They have several membership levels. I paid to be a "Guru", because there aren't very many postings at the "Basic" (free) level for my skillset. However, my husband, who is an electrical engineer and knows computer programming did some freelance work last year as a programmer, and he has just a "basic" membership.

Good luck on your job search.

3:07 PM  
Blogger LilKnitter said...

I am loving the lace pattern; it's lacey without being overly distracting. It's just pretty!

Secondly: how did you get oregano to sprout?! I have had zero luck getting my herbs to sprout. I've tried fresh dirt, watering more, watering less...everytime it's the same story of failure.

Thirdly: yeah, come up here and grow potatoes! We can hang out! (Ok, Canada's big, so we'd need to coordinate living in somewhat proximity.)

Finally: it never ceases to amaze me how much NOT older than me you and DMS are, and yet you've lived in nearly a half-dozen different places since you were married, and you have a child about to start kindergarten! I need to get organised and get with the life-having!

Good luck with the red tape!

3:07 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Oh the bureaucracy! At least you'll have a pretty lacy top to wear soon so you'll look good while filling out endless forms.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

The sleeve and slipper look great!!! Love the colors.

Love the sprouting going on there!! I have a picture that one day soon I am going to share in honor of your garden in progress!!!

Holy moly to all the stuff your dealing with. I hope it all gets a bit easier and you get everything worked out.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

They'll be asking for your shoe size next *rolls eyes*.

Your pullover is beautiful so far, great idea to start on the sleeves.

5:08 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Nice wips! :) And I love how fast the pot garden is coming along! My potatoes have eyes too. But only 'cuz they're old and need to go in the trash. :P

Hold crap, you have to go through all that just to put Chunky in kindergarden? What is it, Ivy League?

12:32 PM  
Blogger Macoco said...

The lacework is beautiful - I can't wait to see more of it.

That is a long list of things to get done! Good luck on all of it -- I'm sending you thoughts of patience and good humor.

;)

1:09 PM  
Blogger Criosa said...

glad buttercup beat me to it. I was going to suggest you hop on the DMV site and find out what's required.

I learned that in MN if you changed your name (marriage, what-not) you need proof of that (or was it proof of ALL past names?). and there were some other weird requirements too.

good luck with all the hoop jumping

3:52 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I recently got something notorized, and they didn't put one mark on the paper that was being notorized. They filled out a separate form and paperclipped it to the "notorized" thing. How does that work out?

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home