Monday, March 19, 2007

Weekend Wrap Up

No knitting really to speak of. Well unless you count my laundromat knitting.

I've decided each week I'll chuck out a Hat for Alex.

I do laundry for about two hours a week at the laundromat. It takes about that long to crank out a simple baby hat. It gives me a way to use up my scrap yarn and I can avoid having to chat with fellow laundromatters. I don't do much charity knitting but as a working mom, what happened to Alex is every working mom's nightmare.

Actually my wrists are killing me from all the shoveling we had to do Saturday morning.

000_0152

Off street parking in New Jersey comes with the caveat that you have to shovel your own driveway!

But it was actually pretty fun and a great workout. It's so nice to have REAL snow and a town that doesn't freak out too bad when it snows. Although I heard all the schools in NYC were closed Friday. Not sure if that's 100% true though.

Speaking of NYC--yesterday we ventured into the city for the first time as a family.

I'll just cut straight to the pictures!

cheese

We got to the train station a little early and it was windy, so we hung out in the car. I LOVE this picture!

train to NY

On the train from Clifton, NJ to Penn Station, NY. I made that hat for Chunky to fold up the brim when he wears it. Does he ever fold up the brim? Now why would he think to do that??

madison cube garden

After we got to Penn Station, we emerged from the station and walked around Madison Cube Garden. Sadly it's not a square! Something must have been going on because there were real live ticket scalpers outside.

waiting for subway

Then we caught a subway uptown.

Then we hit Mt. Sinai to check out Dr. Mad Scientist's new lab. It looks like every other lab he's worked in. But he is on the 17th floor and they've got a really good view. Of course they don't have the money in the budget to wash the windows.

dirty window

This is actually from the library window on the 11th floor.

Did anyone read about the fire at Mt. Sinai a few weeks ago? This happened on Dr. Mad Scientist's first day there. Check out the picture in that article. Now check out my picture--taken from the same spot it would appear!

fire!

Cool!

Then we hit Central Park (right across the street from Mt. Sinai) where I had to get a picture of NYC kids sledding on a hill with maybe a 20 degree incline.

cp

We walked through the park parallel with 5th Avenue.

cp boys

Stopped for a couple pics of the Jackie O Reservoir.

jackie o

On this portion of 5th Avenue are all the museums.

moma

That's the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It would have been cool to go in, but it's $20 a pop. Yeah, we'll wait til we've got some scratch before we actually go in.

Then we hopped back on the subway and made our way to Grand Central Station.

gcc

It was kind of dark in there, so it was hard taking pictures.

gcc2

I tried the "night" setting on my camera. You get a better idea of the station in this picture, but it's kind of blurry from using that setting.

Then we walked to Times Square. But on our way there we saw the New York Public Library.

Liberry

Can you see one of the stone lions there?

liberry 2

Just another library picture.

There was no photography allowed in the library, but I snuck a picture of Chunky down a dark hallway off the beaten path.

cool dude at the liberry

Hee hee!

Then it was off to Times Square!

Times Square

While in the Times Square area, we hit three places.

First was the Toys R Us super store.

The best part of the store? Why the Lego section of course! We didn't get to see the real Empire State Building this time, but we did see the Lego version. Complete with a robotic Lego King Kong!

toys r us king kong

Statue of Lib

The Lego Statue of Liberty.

They also had a life size animatronic Tyrannasaurus Rex--so cool!

trex

The second place we stopped was the Hershey Store.

Hersheys

Not really all that cool, but it smelled good in there.

Then across the street from the Hershey Store was--M&M World!

M&M world

THREE floors of M&Ms and M&M related paraphernalia.

The M&Ms (in all the colors of the rainbow--colors you can't find sold anywhere else..well, except online) were $10 a pound, but the sitting was free.

boys on M&M

They're sitting on a giant leather red M&M. I need one of those for my spartan living room.

After that, we headed back to Penn Station and headed home.

On the way back to Penn Station I had to get a picture of this. I had no idea my number one Peepita had her own chain of stores. Hee!

peep show

Hm. Believe it or not, this wasn't a place we could look at our Christmas presents early. Bummer!

Labels: ,

27 Comments:

Blogger Linnea said...

What an adventure - so cool! Love all the photos - although this small-town girl feels a little bit exhausted just looking at the city!

8:17 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Sweet pictures. The great thing is you can probably do that every weekend for an entire year and never see anything twice.

-T.

8:26 AM  
Blogger OldLadyPenPal said...

I LOVE that picture of the three of you in the car! Honestly, I don't think your son could possibly be any cuter. I bet he finds a way, though! What excellent pictures!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I LOVE NYC! I bet you were secretly excited to shovel that drive way. ;P Chunky looks so happy and wide-eyed in that pic of you guys in the car. It looks like you guys saw alot on your trip. Thanks for the photo journal. I miss that place.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Great pictures. Your little guy is such a gem!

I long to go back to NYC. We where there in September as part of my oldest dd's wish trip. It was so awesome!! We were in a hotel just down from the library. You should go to a store on Fifth called Beads on Fifth. I can't recall the closest cross road. It is the best store. Your jaw will drop when you walk in.....every kind of bead you can think of. We missed the M and M store...darn!!

I loved Central Park. In another life I could so see myself living in NYC.

Glad you had fun and that your settling in well!!!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Red Dog Knits - Kristi and Otis said...

Central Park in the Summer baby - it's AMAZING! BTW - there is a GREAT Indian food restaurant in Grand Central.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

I have been to NYC once and I had a blast. Of course, it was work related, but before work and after hours I got a lot of walking in. Not to mention, I got a taxi and had the taxi man drive me over the Brooklyn Bridge while I sang the Welcome Back Cotter theme song. Ha! My gosh, do I love me some John Travolta!

Great pictures. You all look very happy indeed!

Hugs!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Great pictures! Thanks for the guided tour!! Hehe..peep store! ;) Too bad Chunky was with you too! ;)

10:41 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Looks like a good time was had by all! Looking at your photos makes me want to burst into song "New York, New York, it's a wonderful town" except that I don't know the rest of the words...

11:32 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I can't believe the MMA costs that much these days! Wow. Do they still have a free or cheap day once a week? Museums and such have really started thinking more like profit-making entities. Shocking.

Funny how all labs look alike.

Looks like you all had a great day.

11:45 AM  
Blogger kathyb said...

NYC is a blast...And love that you noticed the peep shows, everytime I go I try to get someone to go in with me, but alas no one will. I hope you enjoy your new surroundings.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

thanks a lot girly...you made me misty eyed and homesick and I only work across the freakin' river. I'm going to have to start venturing into the city every weekend now....

BTW, I can't wait to meet you next weekend. :)

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! What a great picture show of NYC! What a cute Red M&M seat! If M&M's run 10$ a pound how much do you think they would charge for that seat? Just a thought. And in the middle of everything the human aspect. Next time you are up here we will hit the shop on Dimond. Love, Mom

12:19 PM  
Blogger Bufanditas said...

Your weekend tour has given me some great tips for where to take my DD when we go up to NYC in May. She will love the M&M store for sure.

12:41 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

I love NY, and I only get there every few months. Thanks for the mini-tour!

Oh, and now that you got your snow, can we have spring now?

1:15 PM  
Blogger Macoco said...

That looks like it was a fun trip. The picture of you and your son on the train is really sweet.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Wendy Dorrel said...

The library is one of my most favorite places here in the city. it looks like you guys a good time. :) I didn't realize how close the hospital is, we have the same view of the bridges just closer to the water and up a bit (http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=337918913&context=set-72157594447299946&size=o)

Your son is the cutest thing, he looks like such a character. :)

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Caecilia42 said...

You don't have to pay $20/each for the Met - that's the "suggested donation" and I have never had any issue paying less. In fact, I was asked if I wanted change back once. The MoMA, however, actually has the $20 fee. Dr. Mad Scientist should qualify for an educator or student discount though.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

It's been years since I've been to NYC, and your pictures really make me yearn to go back.

Heh. Knitting so you don't have to talk to the other laundry people. I do the same thing when I take my kids to karate. It does keep Mr. Karate Expert, another parent who--of course--knows everything there is to know about karate from coming over and critiquing my kids' work. Hey. I pay the karate studio to do that, not the sidelines parent.

Thanks for posting the link about hats for Alex. My daycare days are over, but that is truly a nightmare. I'm so thankful I had good providers.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Thanks for the tour of NYC! Not much has changed since I was last there except, holy crap! (to quote someone I know) WTF is up with the Met and twenty bucks! A person?!? Wow, last time I was there it was $5.95 and it was called a donation, meaning if you couldn't afford it, you didn't pay it. You all look like happy campers. :-)

5:50 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Lovely pictures of the City! You're obviously having such a great time. After all the stress with your move, you so deserve it.

6:13 PM  
Anonymous clarinetteplayer said...

Awesome pics! I went to just about all those places last week. I got some good pics in the M+M store too. And I agree that the Hershey's store was rather disappointing.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Amazing that the (in)famous Bezzie was within mere miles of me! Welcome to the east! Glad you enjoyed all that snow.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Looks like you guys all had a great time! Thanks for the great tour! I was thinking Peeps, house of marshmallows;)

1:09 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

How fun! I love all the sights. :) And I can't believe there's actually an entire store that just sells M&Ms. Ah, only in America. ;)

10:04 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

How cool. I love seeing your day in NY. I've just watched Sex in the City back to back so it all looks very familiar. And SNOW, real live snow - no more freaky winters in the desert for you!

6:00 AM  
Anonymous maryannlucy said...

Love all of these photos, keep em coming, it is almost like I have been there too! What a cool place to live. Espcially love the photo of all 3 of you :-)

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home