Thursday, April 19, 2007

Does This Paint Make My Ass Look Big?

Alrighty! Time for some knitterly content!

First up, check out the progress I've made on the Freebasing Granny Xander Sweater:

100_3284

All I've got left is the last buttonband and then Chunky and I will hit A.C. Moore (my new fave big box craft store--they've got such a great collection of mainstream yarn!) and buy some buttons.

I must have knit the first sleeve about a jajillion times. Apparently I can't read and effing around with an already established pattern isn't really a good idea.

However, even though her Mac and my PC don't like to share pictures, Elizabeth (the designer of the pattern I'm mutating for this sweater) talked me thru knitting the sleeves and set me on the right path. They're still QUITE wonky--notice that I've bent them in this picture so you can't see how wonky--but they fit Chunky and when he's wearing it you can't tell a difference.

I think what I'm loving the most about this sweater is the two separate dye lots I've got going on with the collar, buttonband, and sleeve. Ha ha!!!

Next up I've got my first commissioned piece of knitting.

My sister T., contacted me and arranged a swap of sorts.

She just bought herself an MP3 Player/Voice Recorder for something she had to do in one of her classes and needed a "case" for it. So in return for making me a handmade cereal box journal she proposed I make her this:

100_3291

See the button?

100_3292

That is one of those uber-expensive buttons I bought at Kid N'Ewe in Texas.

I was going to line it in velvet T., but I didn't think the recorder would still fit then. I think it's going to be snug as it is.

Finally, my sister in law (yeah that would be the one married to the brother you all swooned over in December) is in Germany (where she was born) while my brother is participating in the Fleecing of America.

The US government flew him down to the Lower 48 to do training for his new FAA job. He gets there to find out that the training is all SELF-PACED training. So those tax dollars you paid on Tuesday? Those are going towards his two month hotel bill and towards some guy's salary to sit up in front of a classroom and babysit (not teach) a bunch of newbie FAA employees.

But where was I? Oh yes, she flew home to visit her family while my brother was away and her and a friend took a hop up to Ireland.

This picture she took of a sheep crossing the road greatly amused me:

Pink Butt

Since the sheep run around all willy-nilly they just spray paint their asses to make sure they can keep them straight.

I told her if I had been with her I would have shaved that sheep's butt and spun something out of that pink rump hair!

Oh! And before I leave you'll never guess what's in my front yard right now!!!

A couple of guys armed with leaf blowers and other yard equipment.

WOO HOO! Zorba's ignorance finally helps us out! He apparently didn't read the lease and the provision stating that we are in charge of maintaining the lawn and shrubbery. My lips are sealed!!!

Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Sherry W said...

I was wondering why the heck you had to do lawn care as a renter.

Make sure Zorba doesn't send you a bill.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Red Dog Knits - Kristi and Otis said...

Maybe it's a bartering tool for the leaks and the critters.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Go Zorba!

I think the sweater looks cute. Please take a picture of it on him. I tried to send the schematics again, from my other email address. Did you get those? I'll have to redo that pattern and add schematics at some point.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I want to see Chunkie in his sweater! If you had not said anything about the dye lot I would not have notice. That will teach ya when there is a flaw and someone notices it you say you designed and made it that way. Plus only "GOD" is perfect so you have to put a flaw in. As for the sheep are you sure that that color is to brand it? You know that when sheep have a BM it gets stuck in their fur and maggots start hatching and the farmers have to spray them with insecticide to get rid of them. Love, Mom

11:39 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

Great looking sweater. Maybe there should be more Grannie's freebasing. I'll try to get mine started.

11:43 AM  
Blogger LilKnitter said...

I was on the same wave-length as your mum: sheep-dip! (It's like onion dip, only with mutton. Hahaha!) But that might get their entire bodies...Crazy branding it is, then! Can you imagine the conversations between neighbouring farmers? "Ok, I bought pink, so Liam, you'll have to buy orange." "But Seamus, I wanted the pink. You always get the pink, I never get the pink!" All on a heath, in the fog, wearing sweaters and looking very tough and Irish. I love it!

11:58 AM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

They also colour sheep on certain parts of their anatomy to tell which ram has tupped (with) which ewe!
Love the jumper, looking forward to seeing piccies of Chunky modelling....and your brother, thanks for the link, I had missed that photo!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Oh man, your mom is a woot. LMAO I loved her post!

12:21 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Or maybe the sheep just has a chappy ass.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

pink sheep butt!!

agree with sherry...make sure zorba doesn't send you a bill.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Love the freebasing granny sweater. Different dye lots be damned - it's great! (As is the pink sheep butt, although sorry to hear about your brother's TAD/TDY/whatever. I hope I will never have to explain exactly how it was that I ended up staying in a hotel room with room service for six months during my Navy training... Because really, it's lost on me, too.)

1:11 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I can't wait to see the sweater on the Chunkster too!

The painted sheep are fond memories of my long ago trip to Ireland. Nothing like stopping the car for sheep crossing! (If only I was a kntter back then)

1:29 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

The sweater is looking good!

Can't wait to see the buttons Chunky picks out.

Yep, I totally remember sheep wandering willy-nilly in Ireland, and have some similar pictures of my own!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Woo hoo! Free yard care. (or at least, it BETTER be free!) Can you send them over to my place next???

3:35 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Sweet, I can't wait to slip my not-an-ipod mp3 player into it's knitted case.

The sweater looks great.

Congrats on the lawn maintenance guys, but I'm sorry if they're weilding leaf blowers.

-T.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Susan said...

Love the sweater! Very Xanderish.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

So it's not my imagination, that sheep really does have a pink ass!

5:53 PM  
Blogger The Fluffy Ewe said...

Damnit! One of my sheep are loose again! Lol

Nice case for the sis and the button is the perfect touch. I don't think a lining is needed either (not to mention it would be a royal PITA to do any way. lol)

Must show pics of Chunk in his new sweater!!

5:53 PM  
Blogger buttercup said...

A.C. Moore is the best box store for yarn around. There isn't one close to me so I have to need shoes (DSW) to get there and "browse".

Umm - don't the different dye lots work with the whole freebasing granny theme? Sweater is adorable and ditto I can't wait to see Chunky in it.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yeah girl, you better keep them lips sealed!! I think Chunky's sweater is awesome!! Yes, ACMoore is where we knit and they do have a pretty good variety and about to get an even better one in June! Plus them coupons help!! (if you don't have a link for them LMK!) Nice lil' case there! Gee, now I know all about "painting" sheep ;)

6:08 PM  
Anonymous birdie said...

You know, I could totally see your youngest younger brother (my only younger brother) jealous of Chunky's sweater. It looks pretty sweet!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I love the sweater. I can't wait to see it on CHunky. That pink butted sheep is pretty cool as well. Tell your brother to take his time with our tax dollars, I'm currently unemployed! ;D HEHE

8:25 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Can't wait to see Chunky in that sucker...great job!!!

Love the ipod case!!

Nice sheep!

9:01 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

That sweater is looking mighty cool. Shh on the dyelots, I wouldn't have noticed.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home