Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I want to run away and join the office...*

From Sunday's Star-Ledger:

Receptionist
Busy contracting firm in the Clark area seeks upheat person to handle hi volume phones and administrative clerical duties. Must be able to type and have good MS-Word/Excel.


I'm thinking what I really want to do is send my resume into the newspaper and ask if I can have the job of typing up the want ads.

Yes, yes, I know. Whoever does that job probably has a lot on their plate. Or maybe it's not them who is making these flagrant spelling and grammar errors--maybe it's the person who submitted the ad.

Regardless, if you're going to either spend money to run an ad, or if you're going to be the person responsible for making sure the ad goes in the paper--would it kill you to read over it again before you send it in/publish it?

I think my favorite spelling error is when it involves email addresses. I applied for one job where the email address was bubbaspalaceoflove@newersey.com.

New Ersey? Is that my new home state?

My second favorite are the ones that emphasize how perfect you need to be in order to work there.

Must be vary detail oriented and have good grammer.

Is it a mini-preemployment test to point out in my cover letter that I am very detail oriented and have great grammar?

So no news on the job front. It's been a week today since I interviewed with Hotdog, Inc. Not hearing back from them doesn't bum me out too much. I got a weird vibe from them. Not to mention the president of the company reminded me of an extra from The Sopranos. Oh hell, who am I kidding? Half the people I see on the street around here look like they stepped off The Sopranos set. Even funnier are the moms at the park who yell at their kids and sound like Kyle's mom from South Park.

But I digress. On the job hunt I continue. What I would love is a nice joe-job. However I don't think there are many out there that would let you work 8 to 5 and have at least one day of the weekend off. Dr. Mad Scientist has started going in to work on Sundays.

*Brownie points if you can tell me where I got the very Old Lady Pen Pal-ian title of today's post. I'm betting my first CASP Starfish will know it!

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger Penny Karma said...

Well, Bezz, I've always thought that you were an upheat person. I think so hily of you.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Weeeelllllll...Kyle's Mom is a big bitch, she's a big fat, big fat, big fat bitch...

Did I ever tell you I own the South Park Christmas cd? All their greatest hits on one cd!

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know where you got any of the thoughts and ideas for this blog. Well good lluck on the job searching. Love, Mom

12:07 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I can't think of for the life of me, butt good luk in yor hunt for a jobb. I may be there with ya come Thursday. hee hee I grew up in Philly, so every mom sounded like Kyle's. Good luck buddy!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I once saw an ad offering a "rot iron" patio set. I love seeing all the ways they screw up the spelling in the classifieds.

There are often "spade" or "spaded" cats, too.

12:37 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

The world needs more writers. Enough said.
-T.

(Oh! my verification word is 'koups.' Ex. "Don't sit next to her. Her boyfriend gave her koups.")

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Ahhh, Bezzie. Thanks for posting so often. Sometimes I really need to read someone's witty and carefully composed diatribe. Bonus points for knocking poor spelling and life skills.

Here's hoping you land a cushy job.

1:52 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Hay, I relly hope thengs turn around fer yu soon.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hey! Get a load of sgeddes! ;)

Sorry, I can't type that way....

Good job finding vibes are still eminating from me!!! Ohmmmmmmmmmm!!

Take care!!

2:17 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I yousd to place adds in the paper and I no that u get a pruf copee to approove befour it gos 2 press.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Oo, oo, I know this one.

"American Car" by Mike Doughty.

Which, appropriately enough, is labeled "Anerica Car" by my computer jukebox.

Positive job search vibes being sent your way.

3:31 PM  
Blogger buttercup said...

I know you can get an 8-5 M-F type job. They're out there. You just have to weed through all the mob front type jobs and the good one will be there. heh...

Seriously - I wish my company wasn't so far from you. We're gonna need someone soon.

3:48 PM  
Anonymous birdie said...

I think I mite no were you got the title of your blog to day. How ever, I no you vary good. To good. So, I dont no if you want me to say. I wont say just in case you dont want me too.

Oh man, writing like that is probably annoying me more than it is you. Haha!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Oh the pain of bad spellings...I feel like I'm reading emails from my older brother....

Okay, same advice I just gave someone else...sign up with a temp agency whose main clients are law offices (and biotechs in my case). That's what I'm doing now...No bennies, but it's paying the bills.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

The speelyng thyng dryves meee crazi two!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Are you sure you gots good grammar?

Bezz, you are killing me with the Soprano-alikes and the Kyle's-Mom-alikes. I would die. Figuratively and literally ;)

9:21 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

CASP? What's CASP?

Best of luck looking for a job. If I still lived in NJ, I'd help you. But I don't have any contacts for you.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Oh hey! You go with the Mike Doughty references! I thought I was the only person on earth who was a big fan of his!

(sorry it took me so long to comment - my stupid job blocks me from commenting...)

9:34 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Good grief woman! Do you pause for breath? I turn my back for 5 minutes and you've written a novel. Hmm maybe you could start writing novels...

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home