Saturday, April 28, 2007

More Fun in Seaming

Back when we shelled out more money than I'm willing to admit on a new bed, I had dreams of covering it with one of those Mason-Dixony log cabin knit blankets.

Well, now we don't have the boxspring on that extremely expensive bed and that Mason-Dixony log cabin blanket only made it to nine blocks instead of a full queen-size size.

I ran out of patience, and well Dr. Mad Scientist lost the Texas job and I couldn't justify buying more Cotton Plus.

No bother.

I figured while I was in the seaming groove after seaming up the Beyond The Grave Sweater, I'd seam up the nine blocks I had done for my blanket.

Can I tell you how much easier it is to seam blocks as opposed to sleeves?

I backed the blanket with some flannel I had bought on clearance back in San Antonio. Next I hand sewed the backing to the blocks. (I'm still overcoming my fear of my sewing machine alright?)

It looks like crap. Handsewing a stretchy knit blanket to a non-stretchy piece of flannel is neither easy nor fun.

100_3343

Aside from the poor lighting, it looks pretty good in that picture. Therefore I won't show you the "spread on the floor"! You'll just have to take my word for it that it looks like crap.

To stabilize it, I tied it with ribbon on each of the white center squares.

100_3339

Springs, the notorious afghan rapist, seems to like it.

100_3345

I thought about gifting this to Dr. Mad Scientist's brother for The Spawn.

But alas, I think it's too hand-made looking for even them.

Besides, The Spawn looks like she's going to show up like two weeks early. I don't reward early births. Those who have to haul baby-ass around for days past their due date are the ones who truly need to be rewarded. (No, I'm not bitter.)

Speaking of babies, I would like to speak to the entity that stole my baby.

100_3337 copy

See that arrow? That's pointing to Chunky's new adult tooth.

He complained of tooth pain eating an apple last weekend. I had him bare his teeth to me and I discovered that his bottom two adult teeth were coming in behind his bottom two baby teeth. Luckily those baby teeth were loose.

He's been wiggling them all week. Something must have worked, because this evening when he asked me to check on his super-loose tooth, I discovered it was gone! He must have swallowed it or something.

So who the hell stole my baby boy? And what's up with me not getting to enjoy the cuteness of a gap-toothed kid who has just lost their first tooth?

I swear, at the rate this boy is growing, I'm going to have to give him a can of shaving cream and a razor for his eight birthday!

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger cpurl17 said...

I love that blankie! And it got two paws up so it's kitty approved.


And Chunky is cute as ever. What's the tooth fairy handing out these days? I got a quarter.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous OLPP said...

Chloe's teeth did that, and I called her Sharkie for a little while. Truthfully, it freaked me right on out, as I'd always suspected I had a mutant child and there I was faced with the truth.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I think it is a very nice blankie!! But even I wouldn't attempt backing a knitted blanket on the machine...I'm a big chicken! You did good!

Hey at least Chunky knew they would fall out! My FIL scared my son and told him when they fell out, that was it. So one day when both teeth came out at the same time (same ones as Chunky) he was petrified that he would be forever toothless...

Needless to say..he's not ;)

10:37 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Poor you? Poor Chunky! He's getting his new teeth in before he can milk it to death. "Merry Chritttthhhhhmattthhhh!"

-T.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Starfish said...

I can't even imagine knitting a whole blanket, so I give you credit for even trying. The cat likes it and that's all that really counts right?

Too funny about Chunk's tooth..you would think he would have noticed it had come out. And don't even get me started on bitter....

6:22 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

We'll have to take your word on the craptastic nature of the blanket because it looks great on this end!

Poor Chunky. Swallowing a first loose tooth instead of having it to put under the pillow? Does he get extra points from the tooth fairy for that?

I'm putting your package together this weekend. It'll be mailed monday.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Chunky and Dan can shave together....He's already got fuzz along side his cheeks. No loose teeth yet, but then again, the freak child didn't get his first tooth til he was 14 months old.

I like the blankie!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

Who ate our babies?!

Bug has three loose right now, at the same time. Eating apples is out of the question...

7:55 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I think the blanket looks great!!!!

Oh baby teeth.....my middle daughter lost her two front teeth just before Christmas the one year....our Christmas photo has her missing her two top teeth LOL

My youngest has a wiggly one.

As much as I love they are growing up and so independent I will miss these days....they grow too quick!!

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell me about IT! Where is my First Grandbaby??? What did you do to him??? For that matter WHERE IS MY BABY GIRL????? One day I have a home full of kids and now there are only CATS!!!! I do not like cats!!! I LOVE KIDS!!!
As for the blanket it looks real good. I bet it is nice and warm also with the flannel. Cute ties on it. Love, Mom

10:11 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Oh you are being much too hard on yourself. I like the blanket. And I'm sure any recipient will love it!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

It is a good thing you didn't use a sewing machine to back the blanket because I think it would have stretched so out of shape and beyond belief. It is very pretty, and I love the pink polka dot bows!

:-)

4:29 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

The blanket looks lovely! (Although now I'm scared to make one - was it really kind of tedious?) Anyway, I think you're being too hard on yourself...

Poor Chunky, swallowing a tooth! What does the tooth fairy do in situations like that?

12:56 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I've seen other kids do the thing of getting the new teeth before the old ones fall out.

I think Owen lost (like, couldn't find it) at least one tooth before redeeming w. the tooth fairy. A note works just as well.

In our house, we like to give a gold dollar coin for a tooth, but it involves planning ahead to have some on hand. The kids always seem really impressed with the gold ones.

I think the blanket looks great.

BTW, my little baby, Owen, has finished losing all his baby teeth. He's taller than many grown-ups and wears men's size 11.5 sneakers! He's 12! My little baby, the Little Emperor, is such a big boy now, it's amazing. Yesterday, I had to borrow the neighbor's toddler and take her for a stroll to relive old times.

12:15 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

The blanket came out great! Looks like a whole lot more than nine blocks to me!

Aw, little Chunky's growing up and swallowing baby teeth already? Extra points from the tooth fairy for that one!

1:58 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Big Little Sister had a lot of tooth pain from big teeth pushing out the babies. She never had that toothless grin either.

I like your blanket. At least from the pictures, it's very pretty. I've never seen a flannel-backed knit blanket. I'll bet it's incredibly warm.

P.S. All of my children were days past their "due" date. The fourth was THREE WEEKS past when the doctors said she should arrive. So, I hear you on that one ;).

7:37 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Swallowing the first tooth? Poor baby. I hope the tooth fairy rewarded him anyway. Too bad there are no gap toothed smiles.
I was at a little gathering yesterday and a little girl there lost her first tooth. There was one behind it too. Hmmm....maybe this is a new evolutionary phenomenon.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

The blankie looks really cute!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

Well the blanket looks fab to me and will you and the Mad Scientist really notice any imperfections as you snuggle under it on your new futon?

So did the tooth fairy come by? My brothers used to tell me that if you slept with your mouth open she'd steal the others without paying up. I was terrified.

You need to meet my mother - I was due Oct 8th and born Nov 6th. If ever there was a bitter overdue mother...

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home