Monday, April 02, 2007

Potpourri for $300 Alex

Today is Chunky's first day of for-money-preschool.

I'm already counting down the days til he starts kindergarten. Even if it's half-day kindergarten, it will be nine months where I don't have to pay for a full day of daycare.

Do you ever censor yourself when you blog? I just deleted four paragraphs of me ranting about everything from the price of bread at the grocery store to heating gas. Lord I need a job!

Let me show you instead what I've been up to these past few weeks.

I mentioned in a past post about my laundry-night-knitting. Every Saturday night I haul our three loads of laundry for the week to the WashTub coin-op laundromat. In order not to have to make eye contact with the people who hang out there, I knit. I knit Hats for Alex.

Lessee, we've been here for four weeks and I've got five hats done.

100_3206
(Oh dear god, I just spotted a rogue prop from my yarno in that picture...wuhahahaha!)

I'm one ahead of my goal of one a week. It's great mindless knitting when you have to concentrate on when you have to quickly transfer your soaking wet underwear from the washer to the dryer so that creepy guy not wearing socks with his loafers and giving you lurid looks doesn't see your sexy-wifey-underpanties.

C'mon, you know the type. They're not exactly granny panties but they're not those thongs you see skanky tweenyboppers sporting at the mall. They're tasteful, yet sex-ay.

Then I cast on for a new set of socks using some Sockotta Zonda gifted me a while back. I think it's got an Easter-egg coloring going on.

100_3208

They're the Quill Lace socks from the latest issue of Knitty. While everyone is enamoured with the other two sock patterns in that issue, no one I saw gave these ones a second look.

They're easy enough to do. I'm not doing them on two circs like the pattern calls for though (but duh, you can tell that from the picture). That's my only gripe about these. The lace pattern is of a stitch-multiple that only really works well on two circs. Instead of 60 stitches I cast on only 54.

I'm hoping to god they'll still fit me. Cotton sock yarn isn't quite as stretchy as wool. If they don't fit, I might give them to my tiny-footed mother. I'll try them on after I knit a few more inches before I make a final decision.

So there you go. Along with applying for jobs like a mo-fo (I think I applied for 10 today), I've been knitting.

I do have an interview tomorrow at someplace in Englewood.
I'm not too terribly jazzed about it. It's a boring old admin assistant job. The company itself is a little weird too. If you read their website, it's very non-descript as to what they do. Its almost as if they sell synergy or something. They spend a whole page spouting out about how they believe in the Kaizen philosophy.

Yeah, I had to wikipedia that one. Call me old fashioned, but if you can get the damn job done, who cares about giving it some stupid-ass presumptious label ripped off from some other culture?

But enough for now. I don't want to get back on the outrageous prices of bread.

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger kathyb said...

Well good luck on the job search...and nice drawer shot! ;)

2:17 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Good luck with the continued job hunt. I hate pretensious crap like that. Our IT departments wastes so much time with their damn develpoment "methods" that they never get anything done.

2:35 PM  
Blogger KnitterBunny said...

Best of job-hunting luck to Bezzie!

I was chattin' at Sarah Peasley last night and we were disucssin' your move and the altest happenings.

Yep, I'm stalkin' you. ;)

3:50 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

You know Mom's gonna want those socks.

That is all.

-T.

4:14 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I have some plain stockinette socks knit out of that same sock yarn! I will say this, being cotton they will grow a little bit. (Not a giant amount, but a little) My main gripe with them is that the color is a wee bit faded after all the machine washing. So you may consider the handwash-hang-to-dry method.

5:31 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

Good luck with the job search! I'm trying to think if I know any attys out that way.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Ooh! Definitely sounds like you need a job or something to keep you out of trouble! Although I would be doubtful about a company that spouts it's philosophy online like that....

5:47 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I wear a size 6.5. Just sayin.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

my knit-blog is only for knitting, and once in a while i censor a couple of our oddities because some boys from church read it. and i'd feel embarrassed. hence the no pic of me wearing Hush-Hush. hmmm

as for my "regular" blog, i censor all the time. i'm on hiatus because sometimes i feel i cannot even complain about my best friends in a roundabout way because they read it. grrr. i even started a new one because my brother read it every day. i'm very private that way, especially since we don't get along.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

I hope Chunky has a great time in day care. You will find a job soon!

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Erin said...

Good luck with the interview! Do you guys have a Nissen Thrift shop around there? We have those in MA. Cheap bread and packaged pastry goodies.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Great hat output! What is the varigated yarn in the hats on the left? I like those colours for Willow.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Mamma said...

Everytime I go to the grocery store I want to cry. We routinely spend $100 to $150 more a month on groceries here than we did in our old state. and we're buying the same food at the same chain store. I hate everything. dh thinks he doesn't make enough money, I think things just cost too much. Good luck on the job hunt. Any one would be lucky to hire.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Well, you've given me a new reason to start some hats again. What a story. Welcome to the age of saving some $$ when Chunky goes to K! I liked those socks too, as much as I liked the other ones, I'm not about to knit all those little characters for my kids icky feets.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! YES! I love those socks!!! I'm praying that they don't fit your feet!!Hahahaha!!!! Good luck on the job search. Sorry about telling Gma about your blog. But on the other hand I did not send her the clink to click it she is going to have to type it in herself. Hahahahaha!!! You know waht her typing is like! Love, Mom

10:56 AM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Hey, good luck with the job search, whatever you end up doing. I hope you'll gett lucky and find someting super-sweet. It can be done, and I'll be crossing my fingers for you. You deserve it.

Nice socks. Might have to try that pattern, or at least check it out. You're right - it hasn't had a lot of mention. My first thought was (sadly) "Huh? has the summer issue come out already?"

Sigh.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Great hats there! Wishing you good luck with the job hunting!! Nice sock! ;)

10:14 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Ooh hats galore, a great way to spend the time. Go on catapult your undies at him in a Tom Jones fan fashion, it might make him run away.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home