Monday, April 16, 2007

Rain, Rain, Don't Go Away

View from my front room window:

100_3276

View from my front room closet:

100_3275

Now who suggested I turn that walk in closet into a yarn room? I'm glad I don't have enough yarn to fill a closet. I would have been up to my ears in wet wool.

As it stands the leak only soaked some of our "luggage." Luggage when you're cheap consists of some freebie canvas backpacks/totes picked up from "swag day" at the annual meeting of the Society of Toxicology, your mom's old army duffel bag, and a garment bag you bought for your husband so he could tote the one suit he owns back and forth to job interviews/national meetings in style and bring back said canvas backpacks/totes.

But unlike every other Lower 48ian, I'm not going to bitch. I like this weather.

Maybe it's because I chose to go to college in Juneau, Alaska where they get an average of 91" of rain a year. Average that out, that's a quarter of an inch a day.

Maybe I was a duck in a past life.

Maybe I like being able to add "Nor'easter" to my repetoire of natural phenomenon I have lived through (earthquakes, volcanoes, forest fires, and tornado--I'm still holding out for hurricane).

Or maybe, I remember the old rhyme:

"April showers bring May flowers."

100_3278

Plus the rain means I've got a few less days I have to worry about going out and buying a lawn mower to cut the lawn.

100_3277
Yick Zorba, maybe it's time to get that foundation looked at.

Anyone have luck cutting scrubby weed-grass with those manual reel mowers? I'm really hesitant to go out and spent lots of money on a gas or electric mower. I'm just renting this shitty lawn.

Alright, well back to hunting for jobs (it's the start of week three of the great New Jersey job hunt!) and curling up with my furbag friends that have no qualms about modeling knitwear--as long as you don't wake them up in the process.

100_3267
Note we're still sitting on lawn chairs in the living room. "Buy a futon/couch" is on the long list of things to buy when I finally land a job.

Labels: , , ,

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh! So it was the front closet that was leaking. So Zorba knew about it! Plus I see it looks like he is not doing anything about it. Good luck on week 3 of the job hunt. Love, Mom

1:09 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

I bet you could knit yourself a futon!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Once again, if you were closer, I have a futon I would give you!

Did you get the potato bread recipe I sent you?

2:11 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

The northeast gets hurricanes, you know. I remember us getting hit with the remnants of one in '85-'86 (Claire?) and 91'-'92 (Andrew). Andrew smashed a window in a local Woolworth's, which then got looted. So, you have a chance of living through yet another weather phemonenon!

Oh, and our supposedly "dry and tight" basement leaks. A LOT.

2:27 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

At least you have a lawn to mow. AND, you can mow it when it's convenient for you--no jerk lawn maintenance guys coming around at 7am when you're trying to sleep.

That is all.

-T.

2:46 PM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

A push mower can give you a great waist! but it takes 2 days after using one to be able to stand up straight...or maybe mine just needed oiling! Sorry to here about your closet, though be positive, you just got yourself a wetroom!

2:48 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Nor'easter does sound cool. I've only lived thru earthquakes, drought and tsunamis. Oh, and there was this time I landed in Texas and the entire area was covered in crickets so I'll count that as locusts.

To add to Cheesy knitwit's futon, if you lived closer I have luggage I could give you.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I don't have a couch for you...
But a hurricane is no fun...I was on my sailboat in Mazatlan waiting to see if I was going to die or not...I caught the worst (and my first ever) inner ear infection and blew out my ear drum...

Oh, and 91"? Thas' nothin'. Hilo, HI gets 131" on average. :)

5:05 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I love the rain too. Dunno why though.

The closet leak sucks. At least you found it!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Yeah, my ducks LOVE this weather. The rain I don't mind... it's the howling, 50 mph wind-driven rain I could do without. :)

A reel mower is awesome. We had one when we lived in NJ and it took care of our 1/6 acre no problem. When we moved here, we gave it to James' sister who uses it to mow her backyard in Boston. If the grass is really long, it doesn't work so well, but for weekly mowings it's great.

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Erin said...

Bummer! I hope this is the end of those little surprises you've been getting in this new place. I have lived in New England all my life and I too am getting a bit sick of this rain. A green lawn is a nice perk though!

7:34 PM  
Blogger lisa said...

for a lawn that size, i'd try an electric weedeater. make sure you've got a long enough extension cord. the last time we bought one, the cord cost more than the weedeater.

7:38 PM  
Blogger janna said...

And if you lived closer, I have a self-propelled mower I'd give you (or at least sell to you real cheap)....

Lisa's right -- a weed eater would work.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

Have you tried Freecycle for a lawnmower? A wee electric one would work great there, I'm thinking.

I'm glad you're enjoying your first nor'easter!

And Zanti--I think 85 or 86 was Gloria. And Hurricane Bob hit lower NE in the early 90's--93 maybe? Ripped Newport RI all to cat crap.

Hang in there Bezz! Maybe we'll whip up a hurricane for you yet!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Bezzie,

As you can see from my blog, I can commiserate... Hope you have luck getting the landlord to fix the leak. I don't have any answers on the lawnmower - we haven't bought ours yet either.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

Only someone who has lived with mild temps and that big shiny ball in the sky on occasion (what is it called...the sun? I forget.) for most of the year can be delighted with this weather.

Those of us with assorted fungi growing out of our heads from the lack of said big shiny ball and an overabundance of moisture, may howl complaints with gusto!

Not that it does us any good.

Sigh.

9:12 AM  
Blogger bigevilgrape said...

We have one of the old school reel push mowers at home. It works ok if you use it oftten. Once the grass gets too tall it starts to suck.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

This is only like my 3rd time to your blog and I love it by the way. I'm super intrigued by the mention of SOT's (Society of Toxicology) annual meetings. Every now and then they are hosted by the tox group where I earned my degree, which is now the town where I work. In fact, I think it was here this past year.
Anyway, are you a toxicologist?? Just curious, anyway, love your blog!! :)

10:16 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I'll bet Zorba will tell you to call the DWP about the leak.

We have one of those reel mowers. It's the Scotts 2000 20" Push Reel Mower. Works great! Makes you feel all retro-cool when you use it, too. And by you I mean Hubster.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

That sucks about the roof. You know as a home owner...I own a shit shack I swear, I always say how I wish I rented so the troubles were not mine but the grass isn't always greener particularly with this nut land lord you have.....

Chunky loved a horse, no??? Now that would be a story and photo shoot...a horse eating the grass LOL

8:55 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Yeah what Penny said - knit yourself a futon!

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home