Friday, April 13, 2007

Seeing As This IS a Knitting Blog...

...or at least it started that way, and seeing as after a few hours of job hunting a day, I don't have much else to do but knit I might as well show you what I've been knitting.

It's funny, I bitch about being unemployed and having all this free time on my hands, but I'd bet you a dozen doughnuts that if I was employed all I'd do is bitch about how I have no free time. Ha ha!

One of the two things I have on the needles right now you might recall is my Freebase Fair Isle sweater for Chunky that I'm doing as part of the Buffy KAL.

Here's my progress sofar:

100_3266

I've got the back and the two fronts completed and the first sleeve nearly complete.

I'm using Elizabeth's Jilian cardigan pattern as a base.

Obviously I've left out the girlish picot edging for Chunky's sake and I've modified it a bit to fit him. This involves a lot of me chasing him down and demanding he holds still while I stick a sleeve on his arm or figure out at what inch on the back to bind off for the armhold shaping. Which of course tickles!

I thought about knitting it in the Size 6 as her pattern says, but I don't know if a Size 6 girl sweater fits a Size 6 boy???

Luckily, the whole purpose of this sweater was to make it look like a granny freebasing crack put it together. Therefore, if it's not perfect--asi es la vida!

It's my first real put-together sweater. All my other sweaters have been shoulderless, sleeveless, knit out of plastic bags, or for stuffed animals. I've never had to worry much about seaming.

It's also my first "fair isle" but even that is a stretch. It's more like intarsia with a fair isle feel because I'm not (in keeping with the freebasing format) continuing the pattern in a steady strip. I'm just half-assedly sticking it wherever I feel like it.

I decided to go with some red for the "design" as I was running low on the light blue and I need it to seam up the Beyond The Grave Sweater which will finish it's freeze/thaw moth egg killer prescription shortly.

Thanks for all your nice comments on my spiffy little DPN holder. Glue guns are powerful tools people. If you don't have one go get one. The world is your oyster with a glue gun.

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe that I am the first to make a comment here!! You are right....the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I think that a middle ground has to be found for true happiness. As for your sweater I think that they are COOL!! I am impressed!!! Love, Mom

11:57 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

The sweater looks good, almost as though a freebasing granny knitted it!

:-)

12:39 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I find myself complaining about too much free time when I'm between assignments. Mostly because my "to do" list is SOOOOOOOOOOOO long and there is not "I have to work" excuse to avoid tackling it.

le sigh

Yey first sweater! I have the yarn for mine, but...ummm, yeah, it's on my list.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

It's looking good. Let me know if it works out ok. I think the boys and girls sizes are pretty much unisex through the grade-school years.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Macoco said...

The sweater looks pretty cool. Your post reminded me of when my grandmother would try to corner me for measurments and fittings. It IS very ticklish! ;)

1:16 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I think it is looking awesome!!

giggle...I had to buy a new glue gun cause mine was so old! One can never not have one, great for kitchen junk drawer repairs ;)

1:25 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

I'll take you up on that bet. I'll be waiting for my donuts.

-T.

2:11 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

The granny crack sweater is coming along great.

I shouldn't operate a glue gun. I've never been able to operate one properly without getting those little glue strings all over everything!

3:26 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Lol! Yup, the grass is always greener on the other side! Good looking "put together sweater"

5:24 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

The sweater looks great! Xander would be so proud.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

work sucks, get over the guilt of the free time!! the work is coming, no doubt! ;D!

I love the mental image of my granny smokin crack and knitting a sweater for your son... hmmmm...
and your mom's impressed!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

*sweating and giggling* forgot to mention I am loving your twitter. Feel hip cuz I read about it in Newsweek. Wait... *having a breakthrough* reading it in Newsweek, lame... I'm old.

9:46 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Lookin' good! And I can't believe you made your own potato bread. That's cool! And I love the DPN holder!

7:40 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

We should all freebase. Together. Sitting in a ring. And knitting.

1:58 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

Though one should never freebase and operate a glue gun at the same time.

I personally have no less than a dozen assorted glue guns. I suppose that comes as some kind of shock to you, yes?

Your Cheapass Guide should have in it somewhere 101 uses for Hot Glue.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Ceallach said...

Bezzie, do not let da man getchu down, alright?

anyway, you are still unemployed because the perfect job has not yet opened up. That is what you are really waiting for!

Ask me how I know.

The gild is still on that lily after 6 weeks in my new salt mine, which is outstanding!

5:47 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

I would never have guessed you're making it up as you go along, it looks freaking awesome to me.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home