Monday, April 09, 2007

Sweaters From The Living, Sweaters From The Dead

Remember this?

CordedYoke-mag

It's the Corded Yoke Pullover appearing in the Winter 2006 Interweave Knits by Annie Modesitt.

I fell in love with this sweater. But I didn't fall in love with the six to eight feet of i-cord.

So I modified it. Oh lord did I modify it.

100_3231

Hm. "Sunshine On My Shoulders" Sweater? Take a Bite Out Of The Crime Of This Sweater Sweater? Cordless Yoke Pullover?

The stats:

Pattern: My own based heavily on the Corded Yoke Pullover by Annie Modesitt.

Yarn: Caron's Simply Soft in Dark Sage. Approximate cost of yarn--$1.37 after using Joann's gift certificates earned using my now defunct Joann's credit card.

Needles: Size US 8 both circular (on body and neck) and double pointed (sleeves).

Notes: Um, yeah, I don't know if I'd wear this in public or not. It's a beautiful color, but it gives the term "sweater puppies" a new meaning. I feel the ribbing makes my sweater puppies look like sweater Saint Bernards.

I guess this counts as my first "sweater" and yet it doesn't. I've yet to knit anything adult sized with sleeves that required me to sew in sleeves. With this, I merely picked up the stitches around the arm holes and knit the sleeves.

I am however, eternally thankful this is FINALLY off the damn needles.

Speaking of sewing sleeves of a sweater, look what my Grandma sent me:

100_3225

She's been cleaning out her dead sister's crafty stuff and sending the appropriate craft to the various family member that fits the craft. My mom's getting a bunch of quilt squares, Grandma's keeping the crochet stuff, I'm getting all the knit stuff, and another aunt of mine is getting some rug making stuff.

Grandma said to give it away to Goodwill when I'm done seaming it, but it seems like a nice sweater and I couldn't help but wonder who Great Aunt M was making it for. Grandma surmises it was one of Great Aunt M's daughters.

I think I'll send it back to her to give to one of the daughters. Wouldn't it be kind of cool to get a homemade sweater from your mom who's been dead for nearly three years?

That and there's no Goodwills in this part of Jersey. Seriously there are NO good thriftstores nearby. With gas starting to creep up to $3.00 a gallon I'm not making a special trip either. I can walk to the post office and mail this back to Grandma for cheaper!

Once I'm done freezing this sweater (it had some suspicious bug casings on it) I'll seam it up and post the final pictures, so stay tuned for more knitting beyond the grave!

Labels: , ,

25 Comments:

Blogger Rain said...

I like it! I like it a lot. The colour is very you and it looks great on. Go on, wear it in public.

I love what you're doing with the incomplete sweater, I think it will be very special to the recipient.

8:14 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Ah, you can wear that sweater in public. It looks good! And it most certainly counts - a sleeve is a sleeve no matter how it is attached!

I too love what you are doing with the blue sweater. I know I'd love to get something liek that.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Suspicious bug casings? Eep.

The sweater is a great color! If I were about ummm 10 years younger, I'd wearing out in public and everything...but I was living in Santa Cruz, CA back then and clothes really were far more decorative than useful there.

Awesome plan for the sweater "from the dead." Even with the casings...

BTW, gas is ALREADY above and beyond $3/gallon. $3.05 at my most local dino-station.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Forgive the pre-caffinated grammar...

8:23 AM  
Blogger LilKnitter said...

What a fantastic gift! Homemade from beyooooond the graaaaave (you have to read that in a shaky, far-away voice). It's a lovely idea.

And the cordless yoke is cute on you! It's a great colour, and I love that it's unique with the cut-outs. Cookie-cutter clothing gets so boring.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Cool sweater, Bezzie - I think you could wear that sweater into NYC no problem at all :) What is the colour? I can tell it is dark, but my monitor at work is wonky.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Well, for a non-knitter's opinion, Kris happened to walk over when the pic of your new sweater was on the screen, and his first reaction was, "That's cute!" :)

FWIW, I agree - I think it looks good on you. And I like "cordless yoke pullover", personally.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Don't worry about the "sweater st. bernards" The sweater lloks great. Besides, many women would loooove sweater st.bernards!

9:30 AM  
Blogger KnitterBunny said...

hey, it looks good and when it accentuates the rigt part (boobs not butt or tummy) then that's all right with me. ;)

10:20 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Actually, you made the sweater look better than the original.

It would be cool to add some black lace insets where the shoulders are located.

:-)

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Cold Shoulder Sweater? It looks good! Congrats. :)

Gas prices are horrendous, aren't they? :P

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the cordless yoke sweater. I think that it would look even better if your face was in the picture also. As for the St. Bernards.....isn't that why we wear sweaters? As for Grear Aunt M's sweater that looks really nice, and I think finishing it up for one of her daughters would be nice. Love, Mom

11:23 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I like Melissa's name for the sweater! I don't see any sweater puppies, beagles or st. bernards to worry about and I agree with your Mom, we love to see your face.

p.s. Don't forget to wear sunscreen.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

Listen to your mother. Show the puppies! Take 'em out for a walk.

(Well, don't actually take them out. That could get you arrested, even in NYC.)

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Susan said...

You have to wear that sweater in public! It's hot! It looks great!

12:40 PM  
Blogger The Fluffy Ewe said...

Bezz the sweater looks great!! I like it better than the original. And who doesn't like to show off their rack every once in a whoo? Rock on!

Def. finish the sweater and give it to the recipient. It was practically finished anyway. I know I would love it if I were one of your Aunt's daughters.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Va va voom.

Gas was way over $3 a gallon at a station near the airport in San Diego. But still about $2.59 here in Wisconsin.

The other option for the dead Aunt's sweater is to frog and reknit into something you want. But finishing and presenting to her daughters is a good idea, too.

1:35 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

St. Bernards - Hee! Lookin' good sexxxay woman!

The Cordless yoke pullover lookd great! It's a good color for you too! And that's a great story behind the blue sweater!

1:50 PM  
Blogger janna said...

That's a great idea for the grandma sweater -- I'm sure one of the daughters would love it!

And the cordless yoke sweater -- I like everything about it except, ummm, the holes in the shoulders! It looks great on you, and I definitely agree with your mom on the "purpose" of wearing a sweater. But my shoulders are cold just looking at it!

3:03 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I love your sweater....very chic!!

I love the idea of sending the sweater back....that is sweet.

3:43 PM  
Blogger whichendisup said...

That's an amazing mod! It looks great. You nearly knocked me off my chair laughing when I realized what you meant by sweater puppies! This is the 1st time I've heard of that. You should def wear that out, be proud.

meh... NJ thrift stores. Unfortunately, I've found that you have to head south in NJ to find any decent thrift shops.

3:53 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Whaddya talking about, you're not going to wear it in public? It looks great, as do you!

Ick on the bug casings (props to you, I'd have screamed and tossed it), but it would be SO cool to get a sweater from beyond the grave!

$3 a gallon. I long for the days gas was only $3 a gallon...

11:44 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

That is just fabulous!! I don't see no puppies!! LOL! I think you should wear it out! Fits you well! I like your version better, the other one looks like a weird noose IMHO! I think finishing the sweater is a great idea. I finished a quilt that my MIL's mom did the squares on, it was very well appreciated.

12:30 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

But...aren't we all supposed to aspire to sweater St. Bernards?

I think it's beautiful, and you should wear it with pride.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Only you...It would be pretty cool to get something mom made way back when. I loke your version of the i-cord sweater very much! Like your color choice too!

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home