Tuesday, April 24, 2007

What Do You Want Your Obituary To Read?

Today marked Interview No. 3.5.

I say 3.5 because I'm only counting my run in with Mr. MatchMaker at the massage parlor as a 1/2 interview. Who by the way has called me twice in the past couple of days trying to entice me with a job that will "hire me on the spot--no interview that has great benefits."

Yikes dude. No thanks. I'd feel safer working across the street at Clancy's Tittie O'Rama.

100_3321 copy

Friday was a law firm. Monday was a high school. Today was a police department.

Friday's interview went very well. It was a nice firm and even though it's a bit larger than what I'm used to (they have offices in the tri-state region and 70 attorneys on staff) it had a small-firm feel to it. It would be boring law--corporate law, educational law, political campaign contribution law, etc. But I'd be able to get back in the legal swing of things.

Monday was with a high school. I'd be replacing a dead secretary. She just dropped dead of a heart attack one day. Ugh. What a life huh? But it seemed pretty straighforward. You deal with the kids (it's an alternative high school so there's under 100 of them), you answer the phone, type and all that other mundane paper pusher stuff.

Today was with a township police department as a transcriptionist. This interview I think I did the worst on. However, I'm not 100% sure. The police captain didn't seem too impressed that I was in the legal field before. He wanted to know why I thought I was qualified to be a transcriptionist.

I had to explain to him that when I worked for The Man, 90% of what I did when I wasn't wiping her butt or picking up her daughter from school I transcribed her documents. If you've ever worked in oil and gas law, you know that when you are about to drill or even explore a piece of land, you have to go back to the dawn of time with a title report and do up a lenghthy summary of who owns what portions of the land you want to drill/explore, etc.

The Man would dictate these things to me.

She'd eat and dictate.

She'd smoke and dictate.

She'd hack up a lung and dictate--it was disgusting.

Therefore, if I could handle long boring descriptions how the Druids (did you know there was an ancient Michigan sect?) bequeathed a parcel of land to the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, which was then bought out by the Saginaw Valley Railway thus transferring ownership in the SW4/NW4, T45N, R33W, to them, while The Man sucked on a Capri cigarrette bringing her four minutes closer to death, I think I can handle typing the taped confession of Harry McCriminal as taken by Officer Doogooder.

Each job had it's perks.

The law firm job pays wonderfully. I mean I'd be making just as much as Dr. Mad Scientist. The lady interviewing me gave me some great pointers as to what to ask for in the legal field. I guess with my experience I was selling myself short. To my credit I've never worked in such an urban area where the pay-scales are much larger than the rest of the US because of the high cost of living here.

The high school secretary job has wonderful hours. I wouldn't have to show up until 8:20 a.m. and I'd get off at 4:30 p.m. This would allow me to take Chunky to daycare and pick him up before the 5:00 p.m. rush hit. It doesn't pay very much though.

Finally, the transcriptionist position would mean just transcribing. They let me do a "test" transcribing a witness interview and I was honest to god a bit bummed when they came back in the room to tell me I was done. I wanted to keep going! This job too also pays next to nothing, and is quite a drive away.

Gobs of cash aren't really something I care about. If I can get something that covers the rent and daycare each month then we're good to go. In order to do that, I'd have to work 40 hours a week at $11.75 an hour, that's right about what the high school secretary and transcriptionist position would be offering.

So we'll see. If I'm lucky I'll have many choices as to what I want my obituary to read.

I get the feeling my days of unemployment are coming to a close. Which is fine by me.

In the meantime I'll try to finish up my Quill Lace Socks:

100_3313

I'm making much better progress now that I frogged the first attempt.

I might also start taking a few naps just because I can and because I have this guy as my nap-guru:

100_3308

Seriously, how the hell is the comfortable???

Labels: , , ,

27 Comments:

Blogger Sherry W said...

hmmm...the kitty brain bake in a sunny spot.

Good luck with the law firm! Sounds like they liked you!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I hope you get whichever job you'd like most.

Nap guru! Heh. I refer to my little dogs as "nap accessories." Get one on my stomach, the other at my feet, and we're all doing our version of purring. Otherwise known as snoring. Enjoy those naps while you can!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Ah, cat's spines must have more jelly than human ones, or something...

I had to turn down a job last week, full time, no bennies though, retail-esque (I'd be doing more office things in the background), for the simple reason of not being able to afford to work there. The pay rate started at 1/2 what I make as a temp.; with no bennies to even it out, not even worth considering.

So I hear you and have fingers crossed...which makes packing hard, but I make these sacrifices for others :).

1:38 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

It's nice to have job options! Good luck with them. If only you could mix the law firm money with the school's hours. Take some naps, they're nice! :D

3:00 PM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Good luck. I hope one of them snatches you right up soon!

3:01 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

But the REAL question is....are any of them near Jersey City so we can have lunch? :)

Kitty looks very comfy....I'm gonna go home and lay on my bed like that to see if it is comfy....

3:24 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

If you had a job across the street, you would have a great commute!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

Wal-Mart has buttons. I just thought of that. Quite randomly too, I might add.

I often lay in my windowsill just like that, with my fat pressed against the screen. A kid coming down the road yesterday had to stop and vomit in the petunias.

Now this is something the other tour guides won't tell you. In this particular cell-block, Machine Gun Kelly had what we call in the prison system, a "bitch". And one night in a jealous rage Kelly took a make-shift knife or "shiv", and cut out the bitch's eyes. And as if this wasn't enough retribution for Kelly, the next day he and four other inmates took turns pissing into the bitch's ocular cavities. (short pause) This way to the cafeteria!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Fingers crossed firmly for you! I'd like mine to read: She came, she saw, she had a good time.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Good luck with the job hunt!!!
You could always come to work for my company. I'll see if we could pay you in yarn.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Red Dog Knits - Kristi and Otis said...

But what about the "get out of jail free cards" you get if you worked for the fuzz? Good luck and hope something pans out. My cat sleeps on shoes with heels...I don't get it.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

I'd go for the money job at the law office. It's a resume builder and that's what a young working mother needs, IMHO. The other stuff, day care and all will work itself out. However, it is not a "take it easy" job. They will work you for that money.

The socks are beautiful!

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the sock.

Good luck on those interviews! The law firm sounds great but the hours for the school sound perfect. I hope you're happy in whichever job you get!

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Susan said...

Oops. I accidentally posted as anonymouse. Sorry!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I hope you will have good news from one of your interviews before I get back! My fingers are crossed. Yep, kitty definitely looks like he spreads "sleep hormones" about indiscriminately!

8:52 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

I can see Springs's butt and nose at the same time. I don't thing that's normal.

Hope you get one of those jobs!

-T.

9:39 PM  
Blogger janna said...

good luck with the job hunt! And the cat picture is so cute. Harley likes to lay under the coffee table, resting her head/chin/neck on the very narrow brass support. It must hurt!!!

10:07 PM  
Blogger The Fluffy Ewe said...

OMG Poops you made me pee my pants. Lol

Cats are crazy creatures. These are also the same creatures that will sleep in the same place they poop (cat box). Go fig.

Pulling for the law form job for ya!!

Oh and Chunks sweater doesnt look that bad! He's just gonna do biy stuff in it anyway and muck it up. Lol

10:22 PM  
Anonymous birdie said...

I don't care what my obituary says. As long as I get to come back as a lazy house cat, I'll be happy.
Good luck with the jobs! I'm sending you good vibes!

11:51 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Yay, Bezzie, I'm excited for you! Sending many good job vibes your way - the Job Fairy stopped by here yesterday afternoon, so I'll send her in your direction!

Love the socks. And the napping sounds like a great idea.

12:10 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

The bonus at the High School is that you won't have to find someone to take care of Chunky on days off or holidays. Summer will be different. At the benefits in the school system at awesome and inexpensive. So there's that.


POOPS! You crack me up. My last blog entry has a very "SIMAAM" moment. Must be time to pop that movie in the ole DVD.

7:24 AM  
Blogger LilKnitter said...

That's, umm, gross! She'd eat and dictate? Ewww. I loved taking dictation. I'm a quick typist, and I enjoyed correcting my lawyer's grammar ("You may have the high-paying, executive job, but I compose a better sentence!"). Plus, it was just about the only thing I actually *knew* how to do within my job description. Wonder why I don't work there anymore....
Good job-finding vibes to you, too, Bezzie!! Good luck to us both!

9:56 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

If you took the job with the fuzz, you could always make a little cash on the side fixing tickets for people...

Either way, from no options to three is good news! :)

12:42 PM  
Blogger bigevilgrape said...

I think that cat looks nice and comfy, and some sick and twisted way I wish I was small enough to do that.

1:49 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

I knew a law firm job in Jersey would pay a lot!!! I can understand why you'd hesitate to take the job, though. Personally? I'm pulling for the school job for you, since you're not concerned with making tons of money. The hours would make it more worthwhile to you (plus think of the days off you get!)

2:58 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

At least there are some possiblities and it dosen't involve some creepy man...that is good!

Love the sock and your napping gru is da bomb!

5:12 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Cats always amaze me with where they'll sleep. Love the sock so far.

Fingers crossed on the job front.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home