Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Finito!

100_3413
Some "bad" pennies that Dr. Mad Scientist had a NJ Transit train squish when he was waiting for his train to arrive.

Bad Penny is done!

100_3397
I still take self portraits even though Dr. Mad Scientist was sitting just out of the frame of this picture.

100_3411
This picture is a bit better, but not much. I miss my afternoon sun photo shoots!

Pattern Stats

Pattern: Bad Penny from Knitty by Stefanie Japel of Glampyre and Fitted Knits fame.

Yarn: TLC Cotton Plus in (now discontinued) Moss. I believe my CASP Knitting Mama bought this at the Dollar Store. Have I mentioned how much I love TLC Cotton Plus? In my opinion, it kicks the collective butt of Lion Brand Cotton Ease and it has a higher cotton content (1%) than LB Cotton Ease. I like the colors that Cotton Plus comes in compared to Cotton Ease, and to me, Cotton Plus feels softer than Cotton Ease. How that is when Cotton Plus actually has more cotton than Cotton Ease is beyond me.

Needles: US 8 on the body and US 4 on the 1X1 ribbing on the cuffs, collar and bottom.

My thoughts: I am in love with the top-down sweater. I usually shun non-textbook patterns or techniques, like two circulars for socks or toe-up construction, but I love top-down sweaters! No seaming! Oh the joys!

Combine that with my love affair as described above with TLC Cotton Plus and I was in heaven with this sweater.

The way the pattern was written I feel it could have used some tweaking. For instance, the lace increases in the sleeves were poorly written. But through some internet sleuthing I was able to find another Japel pattern on Magknits that used the exact same increases and was clearer in how to execute them.

Then there was the whole ordeal with keeping with the 1X1 ribbing when you do the bottom eyelet design—the pattern never specifically said to do that. I can overlook that one. That was probably my own ignorance that caused me to eff it up the first time.

It was also incredibly difficult to pick up 140 stitches on the collar. I only ended up picking up 114. It puckers a bit as it is. I can't imagine what would have happened had I picked up all 140. But I don't mind the puckering at all.

Finally, the pattern called for the sleeve cuffs to be knit back and forth flat. I didn’t really understand that at all and instead just knit them in the round. Simple enough.

This stands as the nicest thing I've ever knit to date.

I am completely doing another top-down sweater soon.

Ah but what? After witnessing The Great Tomato Race, I dig Tomato, but that would involve purchasing a whole book. (I just splurged on a book when I found out I got my new job).

I also dig Rusted Root, but I'd have to make the mods that everyone who doesn't want to give a peep show has made in the lace panel.

But either one of these would mean buying yarn. So to the back burner they go.

Now I only have one project on the needles--the second Quill Lace Sock from Knitty. But that's my lunchtime knitting.

For now, until the time Grandma Mad Scientist and Niece land, I’ll be hand sewing some boring pillowcases for our new futon that was delivered this past Saturday (see background of the first picture!) instead of knitting at night before bed.

I think the hand sewing squares will be good for me. Gives me time to percolate a new idea or two to cast on for.

Labels: ,

31 Comments:

Blogger Trillian42 said...

That looks awesome!!! I love the color. And I'm with you - I actually love Cotton Plus, but I can't ever seem to find it in anything but pastels. Plus, I have that trunkload of CE from Smiley's, so I'll be using that for a while yet.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Looks great! That color is great on you. :)

I'm a sucker for anything I don't have to seam, and most of the sweaters I've knit have been either top down or bottom up raglan or yoke. Who needs seams?

8:07 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

You need to check your e-mail! I love your bad penny and am contemplating making it myself. You have such a pretty smile!

8:07 AM  
Blogger AR said...

Cute! I should add that to my someday list.

8:16 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Looks great. I love the moss color!
I lov ethe pennies in teh shot too!

Yeah, no seaming - can't beat that.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

Wow! I'm proud of you!

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Looks good! I can't find cotton plus around anywhere - tips? Cotton ease is more expensive :P so I haven't tried it yet.

Oh. And Bezzie - don't buy a book. Use the local library! Depending on how good it is, you can get almost anything on ILL!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Very nice job! Excellent color choice. It fits! Hooray!

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Does that sweater look good on you or what!!! And I bet that Dr. MS is hoping that there are no guys reading this blog!! I am PROUD of you! Love, Mom

10:36 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Wow! Someday I hope to be able to finish a sweater and have it look THAT good.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Amby said...

Bad Penny looks gorgeous and you look wonderful in it!!! Tomato is my next item to cast on, hopefully tomorrow...I'm planning to do a bunch of short-sleeve sweaters this summer!

11:02 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Beautiful! I like both TLC and CE, but haven't knit a sweater with either. I do have enough TLC to whip up a sweater tho... hummmm.

I can usually find TLC C+ at AC Moore. They usually have "Midnight Madness" sales when you can get all yarn for like 25% off.

11:07 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

The sweater came out great, and it looks fantastic on you!

Hmmm, maybe I should knit something that has, like, sleeves and stuff...

11:20 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Nicely done!!! It looks great on you too! Thanks so much for the heads-up on the tweaking, I definitely plan to make this one. You guys picked a nice futon, hope it's as comfy as it looks, it's a nice one!

11:32 AM  
Blogger bradyphrenia said...

it looks nice, and it's a great color for you!

hmm, top-down sweaters...have you looked up any of wendy's patterns at knitandtonic?

11:38 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

It looks great! If you think you need a pattern for top-down construction, get Barbara Walker's Knitting From the Top from your library. You will be liberated! The only real point of departure I make from most instructions for top-down raglans, is that I think most busty gals and all plus sizes need to stop the increases at the correct depth and then, make up the necessary girth difference in underarm cast-ons. Sometimes this ends up being a surprisingly large number. (Like 5 inches worth of stitches for yours truly. On each underarm!)

And, BTW, I'd love to send you yarn for a project. You know, my McArthur Grants for Knitters project. Let me know. I might have something in the stash that will work for you and lighten my load all at the same time.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Gorgeous on you, what a good fit.

Love the color too.

Good to note about the collar...and you might have inspired me to knit one!

11:53 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

It looks fabulous on you!!I think I want to do the tomato too but I'd need to modify it for my arms. Thank Gourd for Elizabeth!

12:10 PM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

What is this tomato you all speak of?? I love how Bad Penny came out! It looks fantastic! Rusted Root is pretty as well. Congrats on the penny!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I love it! The pictures of you are great.
I love the top down raglan from Stefanie also.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Your sweater came out incredibly well. It fits you so well. Can I blame my knitting for the lumpy way my sweaters fit??

2:36 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Just Fabulous!! Go you!! Neat pennies too!

Gee, thanks to you, Elizabeth gave us..um..well you know gals a bit of hints to help!

3:55 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Um, do you like the sweater? I can't tell by the look on your face. Haha! And we all thought Chunky was grinning ear to ear in his new sweater because he's 5 and likes it. Nope, it's not an age thing--it runs in the family!

-T.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Loverly! Good job.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

It's great! Wonderful job, and now I'm tempted to try a top-down (like I need another project). Thanks! Then again, Knitty has so many other good patterns...

11:40 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Oh wow it looks so great!!! Perfect fit for you!!

I so want to try this after seeing it done up. The color is great too!!

Where's your beer??

9:21 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Gah! I thought I commented yesterday. It looks fabulous on you! Great color choice and beautiful job on the fit. Yay!

11:30 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits & PashyKnits said...

Great job!! I love the color on you too :) I love the top down sweaters too!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

Yay Bezzie! There's nothing bad about that. It looks fab on and the colour really suits you. Hurrah for no seaming!

3:01 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Looks awesome Bezz..very flattering on you!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Macoco said...

Bad Penny looks fantastic. Nice fit! I like the flattened pennies as well. I'm still scared to try that ever since my mom traumatized me with tales of pennies flying out and lobbing off the heads of poor unsuspecting children who were stupid enough to try such a foolish thing. hehe

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home