Thursday, May 03, 2007

My Kingdom for a Jigsaw

First up, a quick Day 3 progress pic of Bad Penny:

Day 3 Progress

It's hard to take a picture of a top-down sweater and make it look decent. I don't think I'll get it done by Monday, but definately by next week.

I'm not sure whether it will fit though. It seems awfully wide--and I'm knitting the smallest size!

Yesterday the mail heralded a surprise from Turtlegirl!

Among a big old box of Oreos for the boys was all of this:

Awww!

That's a couple of cones I believe from the infamous "secret yarn sale" she attended last year, a ball of Fixation, and some Trekking in some "out there" colors. She suggested some Chunky socks out of that. I tossed the idea past Chunky and he glommed onto it immediately.

Do you think if I make him a pair of socks out of some coolio Trekking he'll finally be able to get those socks to make it into the laundry basket? Yeah, probably not. They'll keep his feet warm, not change his genetic code.

I'm brewing on a couple of ideas for the cone yarn. Let's just say I'm about to hop in the shower after I finish this post.

But here's the best part of the box she sent:

blockers!

SOCK BLOCKERS! If you're a loyal Turtlegirl reader/follower, you'll know that when she went home this year at Christmas her dad whipped out his jigsaw and made her a slew of sock blockers.

These are the coolest damn things ever. I mean why go out and buy those expensive wooden sock blockers if you've got a jigsaw, some wood, stain and poly? Ok, that sounds like a lot of supplies, but I'll bet aside from the jigsaw, the materials are probably cheaper than all those wooden sock blockers you see on the market. A jigsaw is an investment. Kind of like a glue gun. You can use it to cut sock blockers, kill renegade zombies, whatever...

I can't wait to get my first quill lace sock off the needles and block it!

I think Ripple and Calvin might have sent a message to Springs in the box as well.

He couldn't stop sniffing the large cone of yarn!

sniff sniff

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

So very sweet of Christi! She is a peach and 1/2!

8:51 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Nice package!

You are making good progress on bad penny. Hopefull yit will be ready to wear for the new job.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

Nice package! Those sock blockers are great. My sister just bought a jigsaw I'm going to have to hit her up for some of those.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Amazing what you can do with a jigsaw. My dad cut off his thumb with his.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Cool package. Those cats are talking to one another! You've made top downs before right? They do look huge at first, look at the girth of your shoulders compared to the rest of your body. Try it on! That's the joy of top down, you can see the fit easily by trying it on as you go.

PS, we have some fancy wood scraps and I'm still waiting for those sock blocker! Yay Cristi's Dad! Maybe I'll learn to do it myself. Can't be too hard.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Cool sock blockers! What a great idea, different sizes, too. The top down sweater is "Lookin Gooood"! I can't wait to see it on you. Hey! I had my appointment yesterday, now I hve all kinds of lab work to be done!:( Love, Mom

11:35 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

That Turtlegirl rocks!

11:51 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Cristi rocks! Or would that be RAKs? ;) What a great package she sent - including those fantabulous sock blockers!

Ah, the secret cat society starts to reveal itself. They're communicating via yarn.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I want Cristi's dad's sock blockers!!

And I like that trekking colorway....let me know what # it is....I may be in need of some more trekking for the stash. Yeah, right. :)

12:29 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Love the sock blockers!! I want some so badly. Maybe if I get a gift certificate for Mother's Day I'll invest in some.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Susan said...

Bad Penny is looking good!

I love sock blockers. My hubby is going to crank some out for me once we're moved. Right now I'm using wire hangers. Good but sorta ugly.

3:35 PM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

wow, what a parcel, and from Calvin and Ripple ;-), and it contained oreos!!!!! What a gal that turtlegirl! Keep going with Bad Penny, she is looking good

4:26 PM  
Anonymous birdie said...

Do you have any idea how much I want to squish that cat of your's? Well, it's a lot. Ooooo!

11:47 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

TG rocks! Can't wait to see what you make from the cone yarn.

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home