Friday, May 18, 2007

Frankenmeme

In the past week:

I was tagged by Maryannlucy to give seven random things about myself.

I was tagged by Connie to give eight random things about myself.

I was challenged by Domestic Overlord to give a review of my state (if she did one of hers in return).

So in the interest of fairness I’m going to give you the love child of that threesome and I'm even putting pictures in here (not my own) to break up the monotony of a meme:

Seven and a half random things about my home state.

1. I have never seen an igloo made of ice in Alaska. The closest we have is this in Cantwell, which I have seen.

igloo
Photo ripped off from the person's whose name is on the picture.

2. Alaska gives Texas a size complex. I had a few people bite my head off when I casually mentioned that Alaska is much bigger than Texas . They’d get huffy and whip out the “Oh yeah, we’ll we’ve got more people living here.” Touchy touchy!

ak_over_usa

3. One of the guys on the first season of “The Deadliest Catch” dated my best friend and roommate from college. He was a sleazebag that had a girl in every port and a wife in Mexico that he never told her about until she found out through chance that said wife in question was pregnant. As such, I don’t like that show and have a bias that all fisherman are two timing bastards.

DEADLIESTCATCH080_m
Ripped off from the Discovery Channel website.

4. Yes. It really does stay light out nearly all night—if it’s sunny. Back when I used to wear that theater monkey uniform I posted a picture of a few weeks ago, I often got stuck working the closing shift. On weekends I wouldn’t get out of work until 3:00 a.m. and the sun would be hovering low on the horizon. It doesn’t really set, it goes down a bit, hovers, and then comes back up.

800px-An_Alaskan_sunset_-_NOAA
Photo ripped off from NOAA.

5. The town I grew up in was formed as an agricultural experiment masterminded by FDR’s New Deal.

bailey-estelle_farm
Photo ripped off from the Library of Congress.

6. Both of my parents are older in years than Alaska has been a state.

(Oh this is where I would love to put a picture of "Budnik Gothic" but my sister T. will have to provide me with that picture.)

7. You can walk from Alaska to Russia in the winter.

big diomede-little diomede
Photo ripped off from University Corporation for Atmospheric Research. That's Big and Little Diomede Island. One belongs to the U.S. the other to Russia.

7.5 When I kiss my husband, we do not rub ______________.
(Since it’s a point five meme hybrid threesome love child, you get to fill in the blank.)

I’m not going to tag anyone since this one seems to have thoroughly worked its way around the blogsphere. However, Sarah, you owe me at least 7.5 random things about California now.

More knitting content soon, I swear!

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that "IGLOO"!!! That is the best there is! I had a lady come into the library wanting to find a book on how to build one. She wants to build a smaller version of one like it for her retirement home!! You know that it was suppose to be a Hotel but they ran out of money. The Army didn't have to refuel their helicopters there any more. Love, Mom

7:48 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

hehehe! I like it! and No I'm not tagging myself..I'm not as witty as you! :)

8:43 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Nice! I especially like the Alaska-Russia proximity pic, very cool!

"The Deadliest Catch" sounds like a reality dating show. But in the end, you get to say, off the guy for wasting your time.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous OLPP said...

When you kiss the Mad Scientist, you do not rub... magic lamps?

I am in love with Mike Rowe. I truly am and I cannot help it. Watch Dirty Jobs instead. Boy, I've got a dirty job for that man. And that's all I'll say because right up there is a post from your Mom!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Holy cow...walk to Russia over the ice. That is cool!

Very neat post.

11:32 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Oh, "Budnik Gothic" is on the cover of my "Budnikspeak" book and everyone says something about it.

It's not on this computer, otherwise I'd email it to you.

-T.

12:03 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I was tagged too. I'll be whipping out mimi for this meme. I suck at coming up with random things about me.

At least I think I do.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

Alaska sounds really cool. It's on my 'places to go' list.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Excellent post. Beautiful and not conforming to the memes.

You don't really require knitting content to be read. We all like to see it though.

PS> I am just as old as Alaska is a state.

3:49 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Do potato chips in Alaska cost $10 a bag? That's what someone told me once.

I won't tag myself because I couldn't possibly come up with 7.5 things more interesting about my state than Sarah

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude...you hate that "Deadliest Catch" Show? I love that shit...it's extremely addicting.

Which guy dated your friend?

-Youngest Younger Brother
John

10:27 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

WOW! Always nice to hear/see random meanderings about AK. My husbo told me that the only "igloos" built in AK are made of wood... kinda like the barabaras the Aleuts created out of driftwood and such. Apparently, ice igloos are only made by Natives in Canada. Who knew?

Love the bit about Deadliest Catch... that show sorta rubs me the wrong way too. Mostly 'cause we see a lot crabbers in Kodiak during the post-season drinking, snorting, and whoring their way through Kodiak blowing all those thousands of $$$$. Hmmm...

Also want you to know that I now check yer blog more that The Yarn Harlot's. 'Cause you're funnier.

12:21 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Great pics.

My husband watches Deadliest Catch all the time. I'll have to give him the 411!

10:23 AM  
Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

You got it!

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home