Monday, May 21, 2007

I'm Knitting...

...I swear! But I've just got Quill Lace sock #2 on the needles and I'm not into posting pics of socks until they're both done.

And I'm knitting "Yasser" right now. It's nothing special, but it's not done and not really that cool looking in WIP form. It's lace. Does lace ever look that cool in WIP form?

So instead of knitting I'll post pictures of my latest adventures in sewing.

Bear in mind I completed all of these in the past three months and I was unemployed for nearly all three of those months!

First up, when we moved here, we realized that the kitchen window was easily viewable by the people next door and the people next door to them.

Did I mention the bathroom is right off the kitchen? Meaning yes, I do walk naked through my kitchen to the shower.

So I took this:

100_2904

...a frumpy hippie wannabe skirt (long skirts make me look even shorter than I am and stumpy) that I bought at Ross for $9.00 and turned it into:

100_3423

Nice huh? I bought a wooden dowel at Home Despot for 79 cents that fit where a normal curtain rod should. You can't find a real curtain rod for 79 cents!

Then I became enamoured of those "Go Knit" pouches that everyone seems to have. But dude, have you seen the price on those things? $18 to $32?!?! It's just a nylon bag with a strap and drawstring!

It would have to lay eggs or spout prophecies for me to pay that amount of money for them.

So I decided to make my own.

100_3082

I take it with me when I do laundry and knit Hats for Alex, or when I take Chunky to the park.

I took a kerchief I bought at Walmart for 99 cents (I used to tie my hair back with them until someone told me I looked like a rabbit wearing them), folded it in half, seamed up one side, seamed a "pocket" for the cord, and for the bottom I sewed in a round bottom cut from an old velvet tank top that I don't wear in my Post-Chunky Fashion Era.

I had saved the cord and cord deely bob (you know those plastic things that you can pinch on either side to move to cinch the bag?) from an old purse that I had and threaded it through the "pocket" I sewed. When I get rid of a purse or even sometimes a garment, I like to cannibalize the zippers, buttons, or closures. You never know when you might need them!

I simply love it. And I love the fact it cost nothing to make and honestly comes in a waaaay cooler color than any of those Go Knit pouches.

Oh, but it doesn't snap to your belt loop so you can walk and knit, you might say.

But can you look this cheesy with your Go Knit pouch?

100_3090

Finally, one of the reasons I haven't been knitting is because I've been working on pillows for our new and exciting futon-couch.

For some stupid reason when we trashed the old couch that didn't fit inside the house, I didn't trash the throw pillows that came with it.

Best thing I ever did.

For $5.99 I bought a yard of (I want to say trigger but my mom thinks it's outdoor canvas) heavy duty canvas-y fabric in navy blue.

So my funkadilly-o old couch pillows went from looking like this:

100_3421

To this:

100_3422
(Don't mind the cat hair already on there!)

Even though they're just handsewn squares, I think they class up the old futon-couch.

Not bad for a girl who's afraid of her sewing machine and hasn't plugged it in in ages huh?

Labels:

36 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Now you can sell ____ ____ pouches for $25!!! Yours is great! I cannibalize discarded clothes too. It pays to save that stuff! I made us some cutains for the sliding glass doors for about $6; compared to about $75 to buy comparable curtains:) I really love your ideas, you one smart cookie! Love the Alaska facts, seems like surreal kind of place & tough! Sometimes TX just isn't the biggest. The laundry thing, if I do it, there's no ironing:)

6:14 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

OOh! I love your Go Knit pouch way more than the commercial ones out there. I have one that I got at the shop as a gift - no way would I pay that much either. And I also use a little purse that I like the best. I sling it over me just like you're wearing yours. Much handier.

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Kathy said...

You know what, I'm moving to New Jersey so I can be your neighbor. NOT because you saunter all nekkid-like through your kitchen, but because you do cool stuff.
I'm going to call you Fraulein Maria! Or maybe Maria Fraulein, since you made curtains out of clothes.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Bufanditas said...

The print and color make your new pouch a knockout. You've got one hot, fashionable and functional item in you hands.

8:07 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

I'm with you on the pouch! Yours is gawwwjus!!!! I have a couple scarves that I never wear... Hummmmmmm.

My pouch came with sample J&J products in it and has a defunct J&J company logo on it. I use one of those clippy things that rock climbers use to make the cord into a loop and if I wanted I could clip it to - whatever. I used to keep tampons in it and hang it from the toilet tissue roll so when I needed one they were right there.

I know... TMI.

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Emilee said...

Those all look great. Very impressive sewing for someone who claims not to be good at it. You're too modest!

My husband and I use "Home Despot" and "deely bob" too, but I don't think I've ever seen them in print before.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

I love your knitting travel pouch! Cool print. And the wooden dowel for a curtain rod? You are one smart lady!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

You make me want to learn to sew. I love your Go knit pouch. Very cute and I love the colors!
You should write a book about your awesome frugal ideas. I'd buy it.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Yeah for recycling and sewing with found fabrics.

Etsy has much nicer pouches for much less if someone can't sew. I don't mind paying for one if it was made my a small artist and is cooler fabrics.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

In our house, we get a lot of satisfation using our creativity to make a comfortable lifestyle. I really enjoy seeing the inventive ideas you have. And the go knit pouch...sooo cool!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Great job of recycling and sewing. The pouch is much nicer than any of the ones I've seen. Since I rarely wear belt-loops, the over the shoulder option would work much better.
I cannibalize garments too, especially buttons. The buttons on Mr. Mag's shirts are nice so when he's tortured one enough and it has to go into the rag pile, off come those shell buttons.

10:42 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Love the sewing projects! So with you on the pouch. Yours is so much snazzier, and free - which makes it even better!

Hmmm, may have to dig out the Singer and see what fabric lies in my cupboard...

10:56 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

If you make curtains out of clothes, aren't you like the opposite of Scarlett O'Hara? Or Fruelein Maria?

11:00 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Though I love the Boho skirts, the curtains turned out great!

You knitting bag is cool too.

:-)

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice curtains, pillows and go-knit bag. I have a dowl holding up the curtain/door to my sewing room. You need to tame that sewing machine of yours, it will not bite and can do things much faster. Love, Mom

11:28 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Miss Scarlett,
you never cease to amaze me! Please write a book!!

11:48 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits & PashyKnits said...

You've inspired me to not be afraid of my sewing machine! Love love love the curtains, but the best is the go knit pouch!! I agree, you could see those!!! Great job!!

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Knit Mongrel said...

As someone who is as afraid of her sewing machine as she is of the dentist, I am very envious of your new curtains and bag! They're lovely, and truly creativity knows no bounds. I definitely say you should sell yours on Etsy... I'd sure rather buy one from someone I know (and by know I mean, of course, read their blog). :)

12:31 PM  
Blogger janna said...

I'm afraid of my sewing machine, too! So afraid, in fact, that I gave it to Mom when her 30 year old hand-me-down-from-Grandma died.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Oh wow. You did great! I can't wait to get a sewing machine. Your curtains look bought. Those go knit pouches clip to your belt? I hate when people clip things to belts so I like yours better! :D

12:48 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I really like your curtains out of a skirt. And the goknit pouch! Much cooler than the ones I've seen.

The sewing machine and I are still getting used to one another...though all it hears from me are curse words....

12:56 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

I love the go-knit back you made, very cute. And the curtains - awesome!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Go Bezzie!

3:38 PM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

Fantastic jobs. O live the Go Knit pouch - lovely colours.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I agree! That is an awesome pouch! Neat curtains too, and I use the same dowel thingamabob too!

Go you!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Knits, sews, types memos with a bold RE: for shysters ... I mean lawyers ... Is there anything Bezzie doesn't do?

Seriously, you're my hero! I want to be you when I grow up ;).

8:11 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Love your Go Knit pouch! If you ever need extra money, I'm sure people would buy them from you. Much cooler than the painfully orange ones.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Yes, lovely little pouch. Write a book AND start a business. Please!

1:50 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

You are beyond talented woman. I wanted to try to make my own pouches and also desperately need couch pillows but haven't been able to get myself to even try. I even used to sew my own clothes. You did a fantastic job with everything and I love your resourcefulness!

6:55 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Love what you did with the skirt!
I'm telling you you are missing your calling. There is a book in there somewhere.

10:25 AM  
Blogger bradyphrenia said...

such creativity! i might have to steal some of your ideas.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Talk about handy woman! That's the way to reduce, re-use and recycle. And the results don't look tacky.
very swanky indeed. And I thing the dowel is better anyway. Most curtain rods have a bump in the middle where the extender part goes and the curtains hang up on it every time!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

please sew me a Go Knit bag that spouts prophecies. i will send $32 check made out to magic sewing mama...

1:50 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Bezzie, you rock. You are the Queen of crafting DIY. The pouch is amazing.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Stitchcounter said...

Awesome. Now I have some ideas for my "practice" fabric. That knitting pouch is definitely cuter than anything I've seen. I like all your repurposed ideas--makes me want to go through my closet and see what can be reused for home decor.

4:24 PM  
Anonymous birdie said...

I was in John's room while he was looking at your latest entry and when he saw the picture of you modeling your knitting pouch, he looked at me and went, "Blaaaeeaah!" because he was freaked out at home much we look alike. I don't think we look THAT much a like. Just like sisters.
Anyway, I wish you had heard his reaction, because my spelling may not be correct. Haha!

PS. I really like those curtains!

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home