Wednesday, May 23, 2007

It Applies To Grown Ups Too

Remember my post about the death of creativity? Well, creativity is dying amongst adults too!

I received an email from our marketing department (from what I can tell consists of one woman) about a “Marketing Department Creativity Contest.”

They recently upgraded the firm brochure to a new folder and have a stack of old folders they don’t know what to do with and are trying to solicit ideas from us, the drones.

Here’s how much creativity weighs in the decision on the winning idea: 10% out of 100%

Hm. How can you honestly say that it’s a “creativity” contest? There’s nothing creative about creativity only playing a 10% role.

I have plenty of bizarre creative ideas that I could lend them. However, I realize what kind of place this is and will keep my ideas to myself.

What kind of place is my new job?

Have you ever heard the word “quash” before? I’ve never seen it used outside a legal office. Usually you quash subpoenas or testimony.

To me, this is the type of place that would pretend to foster creativity, but instead would quash it.

Such is life.

My creative ideas are better suited for my own gain anyway.

And speaking of creative ideas being used for my own gain, I will not be writing a book. Of course I will reconsider if one of you is willing to front me a few grandola that I can profit off of while I write said book. Which, probably isn’t going to happen. Actually I’m not even sure how one gets a book published.

Besides, everything I have to say here has been said in one way or another before. I’m just barfing it back up for your enjoyment.

I do, however, have a different idea up my sleeve.
One of these Friday nights when Dr. Mad Scientist is working late and I’m in front of my computer, knitting and listening to reruns of This American Life I’ll work on this idea I’ve got up my sleeve.

I’m about to take a one week or so blog hiatus.

Dr. Mad Scientist’s mom is coming into town with one of his sisters’ daughters.

They land on Friday night. Tonight is grocery shopping night and Thursday is vacuum the floor, do the dishes and do laundry night. Once they are here we have a whirlwind tour of New York City planned.

This is his niece's first real trip out of Alaska (well if you don’t count the few years they spent stationed at Ft. Riley in Kansas when she was really young). I remember my own first trip outside of Alaska when I was about her age with my mom. It was to visit an almost equally culture shocking place as NYC will surely be to her—southern California .

Needless to say there will be minimal time to blog or knit sadly.

But what the hell, I’ll leave you with a glimpse of Yasser. Maybe the name of this project will make more sense when you see the colors.

100_3424

He’s being made from some yarn that TurtleGirl so kindly RAKed me.

See you sometime next week!

Labels: , , ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Macoco said...

Have a great time on your hiatus!

6:38 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

We'll miss you, but I'm sure you'll be having a ton of fun. See you when you get back.

I can't wait to see what Yasser is...

7:54 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

What? What? You CAN'T be gone for a week! What in the h@*L will I DO without your "random meanderings" for a whole ... freakin' ... week?!?

Have a great time exploring the Big Apple with your kinfolk :).

7:57 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

How will I survive?

Have a wonderful time with your relatives.

:-)

8:21 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Awesome macro shot then! That stuff's sock yarn! I can only imagine what you're doing with it. Hmm...market bag perhaps? It looks stretchy. Have a nice time playing tourguide!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

No Bezzie for a week?!? How will I survive? :(

Looking forward to seeing what Yasser is....

8:37 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Have a great time! Sounds like a lot of fun.

8:58 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

You mean...I'll have to find ways to be a cheapass all by myself? For a whole week? *thud*

We'll miss you, but have fun showin' the relatives the Big Apple! :)

11:12 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I think they called the project creative to get more people excited about it. Enjoy your time off. Yasser sounds like an interesting project! :D

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As everyone is saying---GONE FOR A WHOLE WEEK!!!! What will I do? I guess I will have to turn over my replies to your YYS! Don't complain to me when she complains to you!! Have a good time. Take a lot of pics! Love, Mom

11:49 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I hope you have a pleasant visit. I'll definitely miss reading your blog.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

I totally agree about creativity being quashed in adults (isn't that basically squashed without the 's'?). I think the key to unlocking one's creativity is to just do something anything that you wouldn't normally do. Sit down with crayons and scribble, doodle, melt the crayons down & mush them all together in a ball. whatever - just give yourself some time & space to just PLAY!

I think we could all use some undirected play time. Followed by cookies & a nap. Yup.

Enjoy your hiatus! - Zuma

3:20 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I know the "prep" work (read--cleaning) for company is a pain, but think of all the fun you'll have showing your niece around! And I want a picture posted of whatever she thinks is the weirdest or neatest or whtever...

3:48 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Don't let 'em quash you. Have a great time!

6:32 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Sigh,it's like the sun is blocked out again for a week...

Have a great visit with the in-laws!

6:49 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

"My creative ideas are better suited for my own gain anyway."

Um, that's one thing I worry about with going into a "creative" industry. What if work suckles all of my creativity and I have nothing left with which to write birthday stories?

-T.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Knit Mongrel said...

Dude. I love that you've shortened it to just WV. Makes the whole thing less daunting, somehow.

Have a wonderful week!

11:17 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

No books? Sigh. My hopes for tasting Bezzie Brownie Bombs are so dashed now.

Is Yasser a waterproof head-wrap, with room for groceries?

Enjoy your visit!

2:16 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Yey "This American Life!"
I've still got years of shows to catch up on...

10:51 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Happy hiatus! See you next week:)

2:41 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Enjoy your break!

Your plotting sounds dubious...I can see you in a high back chair, stroking a cat and laughing manically at your plan.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home