Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Long Weekend

Ever take a vacation and feel like you needed a vacation right after?

Grandma Mad Scientist and Prima Cousinerina just finished up their leg of Grandma Mad Scientist's Eastern Time Zone Offspring Tour (ETZOT).

I call it ETZOT because she started in VA visiting Dr. Mad Scientist's brother and his wife (still no Spawn, she is holding fast and not coming out early at all); then they drove up here to visit us; and on Thursday they'll be flying from VA to Ohio to visit Dr. Mad Scientist's oldest sister and her kids. Those are the three of Grandma Mad Scientist's five kids that have left Alaska that she hasn't seen in years.

I'll warn you in advance, there is no knitting content in this post whatsoever. This is all tourista pictures.

If you've been to or live in New York, or don't care for non-knitting related posts, you won't find this post (or tomorrow's) interesting.

Grandma Mad Scientist and Prima Cousinerina rolled in Friday night so we didn't do much until the next day.

We woke up early and hit the train station in Clifton.

waiting for the train
That's Dr. Mad Scientist, Grandma Mad Scientist, Chunky and Prima Cousinerina.

Then we boarded the train to New York Penn Station.

two by train
Chunky really hit it off with Prima Cousinerina. He was VERY sad to see her go. She's 13 going on 14 (in two months) and has that total kid-magnet vibe going on despite her typical teeny-bopper demeanor.

At Penn Station we hopped on the subway and headed towards South Ferry.

I love the expression on these threes' faces on this pic I snapped of them riding the subway. Chunky staring off into space, Prima Cousinerina hamming it up and Dr. Mad Scientist rolling his eyes.

on subway

We finally got to South Ferry and made it to Battery Park. We bought our tickets to ride the ferry to Liberty Island, and we waited in line for an hour and a half in the heat.

We watched people hand feed squirrels, avoided schmoes trying to sell us fake designer handbags, sunglasses and Rolexes, and laughed at people who couldn't read like this guy.

illiterate

Then we crammed onto the Liberty Island ferry which was also Chunky's first boat ride!

Wha?
Note the extreme enthusiasm on his face.

Yeah it wasn't that exciting. I think they pack you on there like sardines to give you that authentic immigrant feel.

First we went by Ellis Island.

ellis island

Then we were able to see the statue as we got closer in the ferry.

sol

Dr. Mad Scientist and I were too busy pretending it was the Love Boat and wondering if we could get that boat a rocking to notice.

hey baby

Just kidding!

We disembarked at Liberty Island and found a place to rest our tired line and boat-standing feet.

While we rested, we took pictures of the Manhattan skyline.

100_3487
Mmm...hazy goodness. Did I mention it was nearly 90 degrees all day and sunny? Blech!

I love this picture of Chunky and Prima Cousinerina chillin' in the grass.

100_3499

Next, we walked around the statue up close.

100_3502

100_3510

I had to get this picture of her butt (which incidentally if you take the ferry from the Jersey side, is the view you get of her as you pull into dock--did anyone see Zach Braff's monologue song on SNL a few weeks ago?).

100_3511

Check out how she's lifting her right foot there. I thought that was neat. Everyone else thought I was nuts. But you don't see THAT on postcards!

We didn't get to go into the statue. They were all out of the free passes to get inside for the day (they only give out a set amount). We noticed a lot of seapeople (I want to say seamen because it makes me giggle but there were women sailors too!) crawling around the island. We ascertain that because it was Fleet Week in NYC, they probably the seapeople first crack at the passes to get inside. I know they got to cut to the front of the line to board the ferry ahead of everyone.

Ah well, they'll still have to bleach armpit sweat stains out of their white uniforms! Why do they give seapeople white uniforms? Does anyone on earth look good in white pants?

We hopped back on the ferry and decided to skip Ellis Island. We were exhausted from the heat, the crowds, walking, and standing in line. Not to mention it was lunch time and we were all starving!

We hopped the subway from South Ferry back up to Grand Central Station where we had a heavy lunch, or linner/dupper, to tide us over through the evening.

From Grand Central Station we went to the Empire State Building to look up at it.

We didn't have time to go into the Empire State Building, which was fine. Grandma Mad Scientist and Prima Cousinerina at least got to see it.

Personally, I'm partial the Sears Tower, but that's just me.

From there we went to Times Square and they got to see the Vegas-wannabe lights and we took them to M&M World and to the giant Toys R'Us store. A lot of the stuff I've already blogged about back in March when we went on our own.

We also went to the bathroom at Toys R'Us. If I was making a George Costanza list of best bathrooms in NYC to pee in, Toys R'Us would be on my list.

Before we left Toys R'Us, I got a crappy picture of Chunky next to Shrek.

100_3513

After Times Square we skedaddled back to Penn Station, caught the NJ Transit train to Clifton and then drove home.

The first full day was exhausting, but oh so much fun!

If you're interested, stay tuned, for tomorrow I'll highlight Sunday and Monday.

Labels: ,

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! You are back!! Looks like you had a good time with your MIL and neice. Sorry that it was soooooo HOT! WE had a nice weekend also here in AK, I was able to plant my flowers and my veggies. Love, Mom

9:15 PM  
Blogger Janelle said...

That looks like a great trip! LOL at the "authentic immigrant feel" on the boat ride. And it's a good tip about the bathroom at TRU, I'll definitely file that info away for my next trip there!

11:28 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

It's always important to know where the good bathrooms are when one is out on the town.

I think Lady Liberty was raising her foot in hope someone would knit her a great sock.

11:50 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Ever since Ghostbusters II, whenever I see the Statue of Liberty, I remember:

"Makes you wonder doesn't it?"
"What?"
"Whether or not she's naked under there. Hey, she's French."

Can't wait to see whatcha did on Sunday and Monday!

12:14 AM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Yayy! You're back!!!

On seapeople: I can personally vouch for the following rank/names:

Seaman Flood
Seaman Sheets
Seaman Guzzler
Seaman Swallows

All. Real. People.

5:11 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Hee Hee! "Prima Cousinerina" cracks me up.

You know, I never knew the Statue was walking. Cool!

6:32 AM  
Anonymous liz said...

"Seapeople" makes me think of Merpeople, and I love the visual it creates of mermaids and -men in sailor's whites. ;)

6:34 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

Yay!!!! Glad you're back.

Looks like everyone had a great time. So nice that Prima Cousinerina and Chunky are getting along well!

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Amby said...

Fun! I haven't been to NYC in YEARS...back when you could still go all the way up to the top of the statue and they didn't have a limited number of passes for the day. It was also back before they opened Ellis Island to the public...I think being able to visit that would be the only reason I'd ever want to go back.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

The only time I went to the top of the statue was in 99. And lemme tell you, it ain't all it's cracked up to be. All those goddamn steps, that you can't just climb because people kept stopping. The top only has room for 2-3 people in it at a time. Ugh.

I get to stare at the Statue all day....She's the view out the south window at work! :)

Look forward to the next batch of pics.

9:34 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I've never been to New York - Looks like you guys had a good time!

9:48 AM  
Blogger AR said...

That looks like a fun, but really tiring time. Welcome back. :)

10:02 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Geez, I can see why you need a vacation to recover from your vacation. and if I ever come up to NY, I'm calling you up to organize the "tour"!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Looks like fun! Shrek and Lady Liberty in one day. Cool.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

It's fun being a tourist, even close to home. I grew up in a suburb of NYC, and lived in the city for a couple of years. It wasn't until two years ago that I went to Ellis Island (and the tenement musuem -- you really should check that out if you get a chance). Looks like everyone had a really great time!

11:54 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

I always feel I need a vacation from a vacation. I'm jealous that you can just pop into the city any old time.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

The statue is pretty boring inside, but there is a cool museum in the base that has/had a lot of history of NYC related stuff, Ellis Island,etc.

And I agree, it's always important to know where the good public bathrooms are in a city!

1:36 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Sweet pictures. Looks like you all had a good time.

Don't you love how Mom rubs in the fact that it was a nice weekend in AK? Like we wouldn't like some nice cool, clean-air weekends? haha!

-T.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

If I ever get up that way, I'll have to hire you as my tour guide! Hey, I'd pay in yarn so don't brush me off that easy!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Sure you were just kidding! ;-)

Glad you had a wonderful time.

See you tomorrow...same bat time, same bat channel!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Wow, 90 in May is hot for NYC.

You know that "Seapeople" are really just brine shrimp? ;-)

I loved your tourista stuff, very fun and boy I couldn't have done half of it. Your MIL has some stamina! I saw the statue back in the 80's when she was a wreck, before the makeover. We couldn't go in then because she was so decrepit. We saw her butt end first from the Jersey side. I think she's lifting her foot to avoid stepping in some gum. (Jersey-ites don't know the meaning of spitting out their gum in a trash can.)

9:54 PM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

Seapeople! I read this thinking of Ursula the Sea Witch. Maybe they were all trying to escape her!
Fab piccies, and good for George, you do need to know of good loos.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Looks like you had an awesome time! I love all the pictures, although the 'new' skyline always makes me a little sad. When I lived in NJ we did all those touristy things and visited the WTC once. In any case, lots to see & do, Lady Liberty always impresses! - zuma

11:58 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

It looks like you had a fab time.

British sailors wear white bell bottoms and look like fools. White is sooo not a good colour for the military.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Love all the photos. I so loved New York City.....your lucky to be so close. One day I want to go back. I fell in love for sure!!

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home