Monday, May 07, 2007

New Beginning and A Near Finish

Not much was accomplished on Bad Penny this weekend.

I'm still working on the bottom rib:

100_3371

Don't worry, when I finish it I will give you a modeled picture. I'm getting as sick of these progress-on-the-bed-shots as much as you are.

I think I messed up the eyelets on the bottom ribbing though.

100_3372

The pattern doesn't say whether or not you continue the 1X1 rib when you get to the part with the eyelets. It merely says to "follow eyelet lace chart." So I did. But I didn't keep with the 1X1 ribbing when I did (the chart doesn't say to).

I don't think it's going to look good all stretched out on my waist. I can't tell from the picture with the pattern whether or not she kept with the 1X1 rib or not. Nope, wait, I lied. When you PRINT OUT the picture, you can't tell if she stuck with the 1X1 rib. If you go back to the pattern online, yeah, she did stick with the 1X1 rib.

So I guess tonight will involve frogging the past seven rows and starting the eyelet rows all over again except keeping with the 1X1 rib.

This weekend also saw us dropping gobs of money in anticipation of Dr. Mad Scientist's mom and his sister's kid visiting over Memorial Day weekend.

On Saturday we bit the bullet and bought a "couch" for the living room. Since we moved here in February, we have been sitting on those nylon camping/lawn chairs to watch TV as the couch we moved from Texas (and Michigan) didn't fit through the doors.

We decided to buy a futon.

But it WILL fit in the front door and it will come in handy for he and I to sleep on while Mother In Law (I'll have to come up with a better blog nickname for her) and Niece (again, I need a good name for her too) can share and sleep in our bed while visiting.

And of course because MIL and Niece will be in our bed, I had to go out and buy new bedding. Why? Because Dr. Mad Scientist and I have been happily married for nearly eight years. I credit this largely in part to the fact we do NOT share covers. We both have our own twin-size bedding that we curl up with each night. No hogging of the covers creating marital problems here!

Now if my mother was coming to visit, you can bet she'd be sleeping in our ghetto-rific bed.

But because it's not my mother, I had to go out and buy a pair of nice pillows ($9.99 for two! My pillow is one that my mother stole from the US Army upon discharge I believe and is older than I am. Can't really let MIL sleep on that can i?) and a queen size comforter ($28.00).

I did save $20 resisting the FutonMan's urgent insisting that I upgrade to the next best mattress. Both Dr. Mad Scientist and I sat on the one that cost $20 more and couldn't tell the difference.

I came really close to caving in just to shut him up, but then I remembered for the past three months I've been sitting on FREAKING LAWN CHAIRS. Any "substandard" futon mattress is going to feel like heaven on my ass!

I also calculated that this weekend was the tenth time I had done laundry in the great state of New Jersey.

How do I know?

By counting hats of course!

100_3369

Each week while I'm washing my laundry at the laundromat I chuck out a Hat for Alex. My goal is to stuff the little box I've got in the back of my closet collecting these hats as full as I can get it before I send it off to Pam.

I love making these little things. I can do them fast and I can futz around with new techniques. I've been doing some colorwork (that blue and white checker-band one is this past Saturday's hat) and loving it. I never thought I'd like or be good at colorwork, but when you knit it in the round--it's a breeze! I think my problem is that I always tried doing colorwork in the flat. Yuck!

Alright finally you're probably all wondering how work went today huh?

It went OK. It's a job. I must say that I do HATE starting jobs. I hate having to get to know the ropes all over again. In the legal field there are so many things to take into account too. I mean I know how to do everything I'm expected to do--it's just that I don't know how they like to do it.

Plus it's going to take some serious adjustment getting used to not having to do everything myself. It's such a large firm! I'm used to handling everything about a firm if you could even call working for The Man (a virtual sole-practioner) working for a "firm" (her partners basically moved out of the office and 20 miles away from her...but remained her partners and kept the firm name).

The people there seem nice enough. The girls I work right next to don't seem particularly friendly which at first seemed odd. Most people I start jobs with are very friendly and outgoing.

However these poor women are being constantly micromanaged by Attorney Bigmahoff. He's like The Man on crack. I didn't think it could get worse than The Man, but it can! I feel for those poor girls, so I can cut them some slack for not being more friendly.

I remember what it felt to have your sense of happiness and will to thrive crushed constantly day after day. Poor things!

Hopefully once I get to the point where I can print stuff out, get some guidance on where the supplies are kept, and my keycard so I can go to the bathroom and not have to wait for someone to unlock the door to let me back into the office I'll be more comfortable!

Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

Blogger weezalana said...

Ooo, I'm the first one to comment! Wow, got a little too excited over that.

You'll have to show us the hats all laid out once you get them ready to ship!

Give it a week, and you'll feel like you've been at that new job for a year. Hopefully in a good way.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Hey Bezzie... you somehow missed the part on my blog where you won my blog contest... get in touch ;)

I hate starting new jobs, too. Learning new people's idiosyncracies is frustrating.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

BT and I also use separate covers. I tell ya...saved our marriage for sure.

Glad work went okay.

8:39 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I hate the first week too but you have that first paycheck to look forward to!

Congrats on the new couch/futon/guest bed combo!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

yeah, i hear ya. I like to work early, and with the flex schedule my company allows, i can. But I don't have a key and the alarm code yet (few more weeks) so once in a while i sit in my car for up to 20 minutes til someone else shows up. minor pain. i also have to be way careful because of all the repetitive motion. and then the knitting! man.

10:11 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Dude, I've been sleeping (for a little over a year) on a futon I paid $100 for at WalMart. Well, you've seen it. The first time I ever slept on it, I thought, "Damn, this thing is really uncomfortable." But, I get a full-night of sleep on it. In your face fancy beds! Haha!

I hate starting jobs, too. You get all excited that you got hired and then you have to think about actually working. Bah!

-T.

10:17 PM  
Blogger clumberknits said...

Northeasterners aren't friendly by nature. I mean, we are in our own way .. we just have a different definition of "friendly."

If we don't give you dirty looks and snicker "behind your back" (when we know you're really looking), we're being friendly.

10:18 PM  
Blogger janna said...

oooohhhhh...... I haven't started a new job in 22 years (well, I had a bunch of jobs at the library, but they were all with the same people). I don't even want to think about my first day at my new job!

Anyway -- the futon sounds like a great improvement over the lawn chairs -- especially if you think about you and the hubbo sleeping in them while your MIL sleeps in your bed! Yay, futon!

10:55 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Glad the first day went ok!! I know it's hard to start over.

Why is it we get things when MIL's come over!! I put curtains up for the first time (years ago in our first house) 3 yrs after living there (house in the woods, no close neighbors, only the deer saw anything ;)! Well enjoy your futon!! Can't wait to see your hats!

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Erin said...

It is hard starting a new job but with your fabulous glowing personality you will be just fine and those girls will warm up to you in no time! I wish I worked with you! And, congrats on the "couch"!!!

5:42 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

It sounds like the Man has really sucked the life out of them. We NJ folk are a friendly bunch for the most part. I'm sure it will get much better soon. You've got a great personality and sense of humor so before you know it - work buds.

Futon- great purchase! I need a new one. It broke and so I need a new frame.

Seperate covers - Mom and Dad started doing that a couple years ago - brilliant move!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

You'll be one of the "guys" before you know it. And yeah, what Weezalana said!

I cannot wait to see the modeled top!

7:37 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I hope the job gets more exciting!
Maybe the other girls are just busy. It always seems like new people start here on a day when I am SWAMPED and then I feel like I've been the bitch in the office next door to them, when I really just haven't had time to be anything but frazzled. Maybe that's the case.

7:58 AM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

Hey -- we went the futon route for a couch too! We already had the mattress, and went out and bought a frame.

Let's see -- loveseat-sized sofabed at Jennifer = $400. Futon frame at Discount Warehouse Furniture = $79. Futon cover that is now covered with cat hair = $40.

8:08 AM  
Anonymous OLPP said...

Few things in life bring more comfort than a key to the potty.
What's the futon like? Peectures, woman, peectures!

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dibs on the futon when I am there!! Glad that your first day of work went OK. Yes make sure that you takes pics of those hats before you send them off. I want to see what "color work" is. Love, Mom

11:08 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I hate starting new jobs too. Some of the people in my office aren't friendly at first either. I think they wait to see if the new person stays around or not.

Where did you find a queen size quilt for under $30?

1:37 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

back to the grind, huh Bezzie! I have been away for too long! Congrats on the job, the great hats, and only 10 trips to the laundry since feb!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Bad Penny looks good! Glad things are OK at work, beats looking though! The Man on crack, that sounds like a harsh worklife. I'll bet after your MIL & niece leave you'll have great nicknames for them! Hang tough girl!

4:31 PM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

Glad to hear it went ok, but do you really have to wait for someone to let you into the loos?! Yay to the futon, it should feel heavenly on yer butt! And yay to seperte bedding, saved this marriage too!
Looking forward to seeing the Bad Penny.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous zuma said...

I heard about the two-blankets-for two-people in one bed concept on the knitty board (it was like a huge revelation to me that you could *do* that), so I went out and bought two twin comforters for my bed. It is so much nicer. Now I usually just share the bed with Sally - but even when her rather large furry butt hogs the covers, I can pull the other one onto myself. I'm a much happier sleeper now!

good luck getting settled in at the new job.

5:23 PM  
Blogger KnitMommy said...

Congrats on the new job and futon! Only 10 trips to the laundry, So not fair!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Love how penny is looking!!

I love all your hats. That is so awesome!!

I hope things continue to go well at the new job.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

Woah! Hat-tastic.

Hope all is going well with the job now.

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home