Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Rest of My Three Day Weekend

Alright! Just one more non-knitting post, I swear!

I didn't get any pictures from Sunday. That's because Dr. Mad Scientist, Grandma Mad Scientist and Prima Cousinerina went into the city by themselves. They hit the Manhattan Mall (PC is a 13 year old girl who lives in Alaska. They don't have many of the teenybopper stores that we take for granted down here in the Lower 48 malls up there).

They also went to see where Dr. Mad Scientist worked (been there, done that) and they went to a matinee performance of the New York City Ballet.

Now you know why I call her Prima Cousinerina (get it, Prima Ballerina?? And hey, "prima" means cousin in Spanish, even though she's not MY cousin..she's Chunky's!). She's big into the ballet scene back home. She can bend her limbs in the most disconcerting ways as a result. She loved it.

Chunky and I didn't go because um, yeah, five year old boy at the ballet for two and a half hours? Yeah, no thanks. Plus, I would have hated it. Dr. Mad Scientist likes to say that my idea of culture is the kind found in a cup of yogurt. I can't disagree with him there.

But I had time to make a big old dinner of lasagne while they were gone. Something I couldn't have done if we had gone with him.

On Monday, we got up early again and this time Dr. Mad Scientist DROVE us into Manhattan. Which wasn't as bad as it sounds. It was early morning and Memorial Day.

The intention was this: Dr. Mad Scientist drops us off near Rockafeller Center and we get on the Today Show and he would go to work to do something or other to his cells.

Well, he dropped us off, but nowhere near the Today Show. Wandering around, we asked a doorman where the Today Show was, and he pointed us in the direction to Good Morning America.

GMA was kind of lame. Again, all the good spots to show up on TV were taken by those damn Seapeople. I'm all about supporting the troops, blah, blah, but dude, way to rain on a sistah's tourist parade!

But I got a good picture of Chunky on the walk there!

100_3518

After buying Grandma Mad Scientist some more suitable shoes in the Garment District, we hoofed it to Penn Station to meet up with Dr. Mad Scientist.

From there he took us up to Mt. Sinai--which happens to be extremely close to the Conservatory in Central Park.

100_3521
Could you ask for a better day for going here?

I took lots of flower pictures.

100_3524

100_3528

And the cousins messed around.

100_3531

100_3542
I made him make that silly face.

During one of our breaks from walking around so Grandma Mad Scientist could rest her weary toes, I took this series of pictures that I simply just LOVE of Grandma and Chunky:

100_3556
100_3557
100_3558
100_3559
Too cute!

After the Conservatory it was on to the Bronx Zoo!

After we got off the subway we stopped at Riverfront Park right in front of the zoo for a little picnic lunch (you didn't really think this cheapass was going to shell out the dough for zoo food did you?)

100_3567

Check out my sexy chubby pasty white legs! I might as well tattoo "Tourist" on my forehead!

We packed sandwiches, chips and even slices of watermelon.

This was the view from that park bench, notice the yahoo trying to get himself killed in the picture.

100_3570

After lunch it was into the zoo!!!

We saw zebras.
100_3575

And giraffes.
100_3579

And an ostrich!
100_3585

Then we decided to go into the Butterfly House. We sprung for the tickets that let you get into all the extra zoo attractions (like the Butterfly House and other things I'll show you shortly) but Dr. Mad Scientist used his Mt. Sinai employee discount. Score!

Check out these butterflies! It reminded me of Texas where they had a MASSIVE butterfly invasion this past winter.
100_3593

100_3596

They also had a koi pond in there with the biggest koi I had ever seen!

100_3598

Next up we went on the Bug Carosel (part of the all-inclusive ticket)

100_3603

Chunky got to ride the praying mantis he wanted to get on. I wanted a ladybug, but I accepted the annoyance of adulthood and let the little kids riding have it.

Then it was on to the Children's Zoo.

100_3608
The cuzzes posing in a bird's nest (notice Chunky's "wings").

100_3616
Chunky testing if he could jump as far as a bullfrog.

A porcupine sleeping in a tree in the Children's Zoo.

100_3625

Chunky the turtle.

100_3629

Chunky seeing what it's like to have bat hearing.

100_3630

And what's a Children's Zoo without a place to pet and feed barnyard animals?

100_3632
The cuzzes feeding some sheep.

Those sheep were really soft even in their funky greasy, straw covered state. You know you've got a fiber problem when you're fondling sheep wondering what kind of sweater they'd make!

Even though at this point we were only half way through the zoo, we were tired and decided to catch the Safari-Tram (I forget the official name of it).

Prima Cousinerina, Chunky and I were in one car and Dr. Mad Scientist and Grandma Mad Scientist were in the one behind us.

100_3641
Do they look excited to go up?

You get really crappy pictures through the windows of the tram, but do you see those black dots at the top of the hill?
100_3649
Those are baboons!

By this point I had run out of memory on my camera card! And even though we had only seen half of the zoo, it was going on 5:00 p.m. (the zoo closed at 5:30 p.m.) we decided to head home.

It was an amazing zoo. Pretty damn close to the best one I've ever been to. I think the Denver Zoo is pretty good too. It's definately up there with this one.

On the way home we went through the sea of swirly twirly gumdrops.

No, I kid, but we did go through the Lincoln Tunnel!

100_3656

We had a really good time entertaining our first visitors in our new digs.

Tomorrow: I announce May's KAYE winner!!! And then it's back to your regularly scheduled random meanderings!

Labels:

24 Comments:

Blogger Alisha said...

More great photos!!!

I just love Chunky...he is an absolute cutie pie!!

9:33 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Wow! What a day! It's nice to have an excuse to play tourist sometimes.

10:38 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

phew! I'm tired from just reading about all those adventures.

NY City Ballet, sigh. I'd love to see them someday.

11:28 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits & PashyKnits said...

What a great weekend! ANd what a fabulous tour guide you were too! And I agree...Chunky is just adorable!!

1:09 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

That looks like a great day! Your pictures are really good, I especially love the one of the giraffes!

1:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason half of the pics didn't load near the end. But anyways, did they have any Musk Ox in the zoo?

What kind of po-dunk zoo is New York City running without any Musk Ox?

Anyways, Mom might have already told you, but "Said" package is on its way with Andy Bob's Swankin' new sweater-vests I'm sending him as well as the other thing.

Not sure on the ETA on it though.

Alrighty!

Laters,

John

or for everyone else ,

Youngest Younger Brother

3:31 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

What a great day. It looks like you guys had so much fun! I've been begging DH and step son to take me to a zoo since the day I met them nine years ago. Maybe someday!

7:23 AM  
Blogger AR said...

The pics are great! I love the look on Chunky's face with the bat ears. Cute!

7:43 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Non-knitting posts are fun, don't worry about it. I love the pics....

7:55 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Love the pictures. I'm hoping to go to our zoo this summer. It looks like fun. Love all the pictures! I really get a smile at the one of chunky and the bat ears.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

Loved your comment about the sheep! Wool on the hoof!

It was just like being there. *sigh*

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Amby said...

Wow, it definitely has the Detroit Zoo beat, hands-down!

8:41 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Chunky as a turtle! I love it!

8:44 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

If I ever make it to New York, I wanna take the Bezzie Tour! Great day!

And could Chunky BE any cuter? (I must admit, when I first saw the nest pic, I thought, "Why is Chunky playing Tune in Tokyo?")

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

How on earth did you fail to notice and comment on the, um, MEMBER in the foreground of the zebra picture?

Or am I the only one who saw it?

9:10 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

You have a LOT of stamina! That is a very big full day of NYC activities! And Chunky seems to be such a great, good-natured kid to stay so happy through a long day. (My kids get crabby and tired after about 2 hours.)

What a great family time!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Yes, what weezalana said! I may be applying to a graduate program in the city. Would you take me on a Bezzie tour if I end up going? Please???

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! My that is some ZOO!! Too bad about the today show! I wouldn't have been able to see if you did get on, so no big loss. Chunky looks so cute as the turtle and bat! So if I come down there will I get a set of pics taken with Chunkie? What a great momento for your MIL, and if you didn't send them with her a great Christmas present. Love, Mom

10:50 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

I think my favorite is Chunky testing out the bat ears. The look on his face is priceless. He's a wonderful photo subject, cute as a button and a great ham.
The prima is a really pretty girl. Gosh I got tired just looking at all you did that weekend, but what a wonderful memory you've created for everyone.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Sounds like a great time. I love all of the awesome photos. That zoo looks like a blast!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

You weren't that far from the Today Show if you ended up at the GMA show. I've been to St. Andrews Bar....s'ok there. The big Toys R Us is right there. :) I miss my city.

The zoo....you went to GMA, Central Park AND the zoo all in one day? Lunatics. Absolute freakin' lunatics. The zoo is an ALL day thing for us. I like our zoo, but I think the one in Philly is a lot nicer. Maybe the one in New Orleans tops them both. So far. We've still got a lot of travelling to do. :)

AND....am I the winner, huh, huh, huh? :)

1:00 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Glad you had a good time in our city! I need to be a tourist soon, I haven't been to the zoo in ages.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Danielle said...

Aw, I remember those ears from when I was a kid!

8:58 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I love that picture of the giraffes and the one of Chunky hearing like a bat. He looks like he's really concentrating! It sounds like you did a great job as hostess!

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home