Thursday, June 07, 2007

Cute As a Button and Three Times As Round

I'm not sure what the post title today means, but I remember my mother saying it a lot. Are buttons really all that cute?

No knitting to show you.

Just the recipient of the Spawn Sweater...the Spawn herself!

100_0282

Is it pathetic when you can't take your eyes off the hat the baby in question is wearing because you can't help but wonder if it was handknit or not?

She's cute enough as far as scrunchy pinkie newborns go. I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of her since her parents (Dr. Mad Scientist's brother and sister in law) have already made tentative plans to join us for Thanksgiving dinner. I don't really remember inviting them, but hey, if they're up for adventures in cooking turkey in my non-temperature calibrated oven, they can be my guests.

I'll be honest with you, she's cuter than Chunky was.

He may be a cutie now, but he didn't really come into his full cuteness until he was about 8 months old. Poor kid had some serious cradle crap on his scalp, a Cletus slackjaw (that he finally grew out of thank god) and eczema on his cheeks. Don't get me wrong, he was cute to me. However they didn't coin the phrase "A face only a mother could love" for no reason.

Maybe he'll be blessed with non-awkward looking teenage age years as a reward for going through some seriously not-so-cute baby time. Ha ha, yeah right!

Hm, upon closer inspection of The Spawn up there, I detect a hint of slack jawedness on her as well. I guess this means I can blame Dr. Mad Scientist's genes for forcing me to mechanically milk myself for a year because Chunky couldn't latch on to Laverne or Shirley properly to feed with his slack jaw (and I was too cheap to buy formula).

This gives me a bit of peace.

Speaking of cute! I have got to finish up these damn Quill Lace socks. Why?

So I can knit this!

pig

Now that's a bandwagon I can hop on. I like the Noni bag line and I love seeing other knitters knit them, but I've never felt inclined to buy the patterns for myself.

Maybe after the Quill Lace Socks and Chunky's microphone are done, I'll buy this pattern and also cast on for Tomato as well.

Hm, and I was just giving Turtlegirl crap about knitting a BLT.

$8.00 is a wee steep for a pattern in my cheapass opinion, but I I'll check my piggy bank. I think I might have enough yarn in the stash to do a black and white one. Therefore it would only be an $8.00 purse right? I can always scrounge up handles and a zipper from something in my closet.

I'd have a hell of a cute frankenpiggy bag on my hands.

Labels: , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Batty said...

Spawn is adorable! What a cutie! Congratulations to the entire family.

I saw those bags today, and I just have to make one.

8:49 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Spawn is a cutie pie.

I saw that pattern in the Noni binder at the LYS and wondered, Who would make this? And now I knwo...

11:50 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

LOL, I totally thought the same thing about the hat!

Piggy purse! If you don't want to pay for the pattern, something tells me you would be able to wing it. ;)

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great writing!! I love the way you descibe things...such as "mechanically milk" and "Laverine and Shirley". Did you really have to pump for your baby because he couldn't latch??? for a whole year?? What is "slackjaw"?

12:15 AM  
Blogger Janelle said...

Laverne and Shirley! Love it. Congrats on the new niece!

12:38 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

The baby is a cutie! I love little babies. You can dress them up however you like and they cannot do a damn thing about it! :-)

That is the cutest purse/bag ever! Oh my, I cannot wait to see yours!

5:15 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Aww, the spawn is so cute! And I was thinking the same thing about the hat. It must be handmade, dontcha think? And that purse is cool as hell. Now I think one of us needs to knit up some lettuce.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Awww, the spawn is very cute!

I think if you want the piggy purse you could engineer it yourself and save that eight bucks. Heck, they practically give you the pattern in the description!

7:10 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

The spawn is cute! remindes me of seeing my niece when she was first born in a knit hat that was bigger than she was.

Allright, I'm looking forward to seeing the swine bag!

7:24 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

OMG. I almost spit out my coffee. Laverne and Shirly! You really crack me up. Spawn is definitely cute. I'm sure Chunky was cute too...I don't think I've ever really seen a baby that isn't somehow cute. And the bags! I love the pink pig. I may have to sign up for that myself. I will first have to decide if I can really walk around with a pig purse first. ;)

7:44 AM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

Where do I start??? Laverne and Shirley! The description of Chunky as a babe! ROFLOL!!! OMG you get worse. Spawn is a cutie too as I am sure Chunky was.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

Spawn is cute and very serious looking.

You know what I was surprised to learn about babies the other day? Sometimes they have intense body hair. I had no idea.

I love that pig bag!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Awww, what a sweetheart.

I love the pig Noni! Especially the black and white one. You definitely need it!

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh! The Spawn is cute! And I can say this Chunky was cute also and still is!!! And yes I am not a knitter and I was thinking the samething about the hat. That pig purse is cute and just right for you. I think that you could do that with out a pattern. Love, Mom

10:32 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Bezzie, I love you.

You love them, but not all babies are cute. Your right, we all have those stages. I looked like the frickin' Gerber baby, but my husbeast suggested that I burn my 6th grade school pics when Mom isn't lookin'.

I wish *I* looked like Yoda when I was a baby instead and avoided the teasing when I was in middle school! You've lucked out, Spawn!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Now that's a newborn babe! Congrats to the parents and Chunky has a new prima!
A pig purse, Oh dear. I am old. ;-) Go for it, while you're young. Actually, I can see it in black and white. Although, I could make a pink one and call it Wilbur.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

I have a theory that everyone peaks in cuteness at some time in their life. I think mine was at age 4. Sucks to be me, lol! Therefore, anyone who endures - ah, unattractiveness? - at an early age should grow up good-looking. Or something.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous MayaB said...

I LOVE the Pig Bag!!!

12:59 PM  
Blogger knitty_kat said...

I love the pig bag too!!
(congrats on the niece!)

1:06 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Oink oink! Added to the queue. I might get to it by the time I am 50....

6:35 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Go for it girl!! Pigs away!

Cute lil' spawn!

11:30 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

haha. Funniest post ever! Baby Spawn looks like she's going to have some personality! :D Good luck with the bag. You should call it heifer or bacon...

12:34 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

I'm sure you could figure out a cheap-ass version of the pattern yourself. They're really freaking cute.

Cute spawn!

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home