Saturday, June 09, 2007

Quill Lace Socks

Done at last, done at last, thank freaking god, they're done at last!

100_3677

Pattern: Quill Lace Socks from Knitty Spring 07

Yarn: Plymouth Sockotta in um, a color number I don't recall. (I hate it when companies don't name their colors but only give them numbers!)

Needles: US2 DPNs--my faithful Brittany Birches. I managed to hairline crack one knitting the first sock. It survived the second sock in on piece, so I'm not giving up hope.

Notes: This was my first attempt to knit a pair of socks on DPNs from a pattern that was written for two circular needles. After I got the hang of the lace pattern repeats, I stopped paying attention to the pattern. As a result the lace "rib" of sorts is broken on the ankle where it meets the cuff. They also don't have an eye of partridge heel either like the pattern called for.

But I really don't care. I wear my socks with tennis shoes, and no one is going to notice the flaws. Quite frankly the only ones who will probably notice are people who knit socks. Sadly, I don't know anyone around here personally that does. I should be safe.

Knitting these socks had a lot to do with Turtlegirl. Why? Because they gave me the first opportunity to try out the kick-ass sock blockers her daddy-o made for her and she so sweetly sent a pair to me...

100_3680
(They're kind of damp and blotchy looking there)

Aren't those the coolest things ever?! I pine for a jigsaw of my own.

The way I knit this pattern is also the first step in my preparation in knitting her Red Dwarf Socks. Those bad boys are knit toe-up on two circs. I'm confident with my results doing lace now on DPNs instead of circs, so the next step will be to knit a pair of socks from a toe-up pattern that I've converted to a cuff-down.

She thinks I'm crazy, and yes, I know I am. But I will knit them cuff down on DPNs, oh yes, I will knit them cuff down on DPNs!

Labels: ,

25 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Love the socks and the colorway. I knit a pair of lace socks in the exact same yarn. (I must like the yarn, because I sent some to a secret pal once.)

5:01 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

yey socks!

The Red Dwarf socks look rather familiar...ummm would you hate me much if I pointed out that the "fishtale lace" pattern is kinda sorta almost exactly EXCEPT an upside down version of those monkeys you said you'd not make for a year? (Well, that's what I gleened from that post.) Only everything else about them is TOTALLY different.

7:05 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Love the bright colors and the lace pattern!

I think they came out great!

8:29 PM  
Anonymous NikBudnik said...

you knit a mean sock. in return for the overpriced bear clothes, i want a pair of KAYE socks.
i like purple and green. Go.

9:01 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

The socks look 100% perfect to me! I have that colorway in my stash so it's nice to see how it will look knitted up.

I know what you mean about socks. I mostly wear mine with Danskos and the heels get beat up. (But the Eye of the Partridge is pretty cool looking)

I want to knit Red Dwarfs too but prefer DPNs and cuff down so I'll look forward to see how you do it.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Brena said...

Awesome sock blockers deserve awesome socks!!!!

9:40 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Fab socks! If you hadn't pointed out the design features (there's no flawing in knitting!), I never would have noticed. And I love the colorway, numberless and all. ;)

9:57 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

The quill lace pattern didnt inspire me when I saw it on Knitty. but seeing your version makes me want to make 'em. I think it's the lovely colours in yours. so much more interesting than the neutral clours on the Knitty one! Another one for the queue....

10:06 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Dear Kaye,

Did you take a picture of the sock on your foot? Congrats! You didn't get the "looking down at my feet" shot.

Nice socks.

-T.

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool socks!! I have no idea what you were talking about in this blog but I LOVE the socks! Love, Mom

12:28 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

They look really good! Go you for tackling RDS's cuff down on dpn's!! Giggle.. ;) They look good on the sock blockers! :)

12:59 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

The Fishscale lace (which is on the front of the sock) is not the same pattern as Monkey. Not at all. Aside from the Y shape, they are not alike.

I like the Quill Lace socks with that yarn! That's color 5616 and yarndex calls it "Persimmon" but for some reason plymouth does not acknowledge this on it's ball band nor it's website.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

They're pretty and colorful! I love socks that are bright and happy.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Gawgeous! (Now that you live in Jersey, I think that's how we have to say it.)

Great work.

9:47 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Great sock finish! I'm going to have to look at that pattern again. I went right past it too.

10:30 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

P.S.
Crazy Aunt Purl has a blog entry from a couple months back on how she repaired chewed on DPNs. You may want to check it out since for a second there I thought I was reading YOUR blog instead of hers. It was that cheap-ass brilliant. It may work on the crack/splinter on yours.

http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2007/02/luckily_my_knit.php#comments

10:45 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

Nice socks! I think I used that yarn to make socks for the girls. Except I think it had more white in it. I dunno. There's a lot of orange and pink too. And it's Sockotta. So there you go.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Bufanditas said...

One of my favorite colorways! The socks look awesome both on you and on those great blockers.

11:05 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits & PashyKnits said...

They look fabulous!! Great job! I had forgotten all about this pattern...now I want to make it :)

1:15 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Excellent Sockage*! (*tm)

4:35 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Those are some great looking socks and I look forward to seeing the red dwarf socks too. Great stuff!!

The blockers are great. My father in law has a jigsaw and I have cut many things out....maybe this summer I should do a pair of sock blockers when we visit!!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Very pretty! I love the pattern!

5:42 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Great work on the socks! Love 'em!

7:41 AM  
Blogger AR said...

Love the colors!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

Me likey! Who cars about imperfections, it makes them exclusively yours.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home