Saturday, June 30, 2007

Right Under My Nose

Chunky and I drove to Livingston in my eternal quest to find a place that will change my oil without an appointment and that is open on a weekend.

While we struck out in the oil change department (I'm just going to have to suck it up and make a damn appointment to get it done and borrow Dr. Mad Scientist's car to get to work), I drove past a large banner kittycorner from my office building declaring "Jersey Fresh Produce."

I saw the banner on Friday, but it was kind of droopy and I couldn't tell what it said.

On our way back home, I decided to check out to follow the arrow the sign pointed to and lo and behold, check out what we scored.

100_3821

Three ears of white corn (4th of July dinner), two Jersey tomatoes (bound for hamburgers tonite and on our homemade pizza tomorrow--I'm excited to lose my Jersey tomato virginity!) and a pint of green beans (side dish to the aforementioned burgers tonite).

The blueberries were scored at Shoprite and are grown here in Jersey too. $1.48 a pint. Me and Chunky will snack on those like candy. Mmm!

All told, this produce set me back less than $8. What a steal. (Remember I grew up in Alaska where produce is muy expensive!)

I asked the guy there when they were open--he told me daily after 11:00 a.m. How freaking sweet is that? All I have to do is freaking cross the parkway I work on to get there on my lunch hour. If I'm feeling dangerous I could even do it on foot!

17 Comments:

Blogger Magatha said...

What a beautiful haul! I've had those Diamond Blues! Can you make some blueberry muffins? Or maybe just over ice cream to avoid heating up the house with the oven.
Sadly, I have no farmer's market here. They have a thursday night market, but well it's really sad.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Woo!!! That is so exciting!

I was feeling all bummed for you and your failed farmers market bid the other day, and here you hit the jackpot!

I miss Jersey blueberries. sigh.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Every place has its good points and its bad. It's nice when you start to figure out the good ones and work them into your regular life. Mmmm. Fresh produce.

4:49 PM  
Blogger LilKnitter said...

Two years ago, I worked a five minute walk - and lived a 20 minute walk - from the downtown produce-and-funky-stuff market. Oh, how I miss buying fresh, local produce whenever I wanted and without hassle. You lucky ducky!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Oooh! white corn! Yummmmmmmm....

7:10 PM  
Blogger buttercup said...

You'll have to report in on the tomato tasting...

Sweet that you have the market right across from work, but please don't walk there! You've lived here long enough to know how bad Jersey drivers are!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

That's awesome!! I am very jealous. I hope to live in a place with a half-way decent farmer's market. You just can't beat them.

I will just have to continue to pamper my tomato plant so that it will give me at least one tomato before it gets burned.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Yey on the find!

I'd been lamenting how far my nearest grocery store is from my new apt., then DUH, realized just how close one is to the place I'm temping at currently.

I love those moments of discovery.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Calling Kahlo said...

The in-laws are over from the UK and they are always telling us how much stuff is cheaper here. But when you find a decent farmer's market forgetaboutit it is amazing!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Oh wow, nothing beats good local produce and now it's on your doorstep you're laughing. It looks great.

9:15 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Can I eat with you?

-T.

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Man do those things look good!! Wish we could get things like that up here. Love, Mom

12:54 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Awesome! Isn't it great when you find something that's always been there, but you just had to be looking for it to see it? It was like that for me when I found the farm stand here. It's been there for YEARS, and it wasn't until I started the OLS last summer that I actually "saw" it.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

go Bezzie! Yer eatin local, gal!! And too easy, if you ask me... how was the jersey mater?

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Wow! Your monkey can knit! Dang. I need to get me one of those...

7:19 AM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Yes, produce can be good out here...make sure you get some Peaches in late august...the corn gets better then too. And let me know if you'd ever like to sample some local LI wine...we've got quite a few nice wineries out here!

4:32 PM  
Blogger roxy =^o^= said...

That's what I miss the most - Jersey fresh produce. I was spoiled by blueberries and silver queen corn. And strawberries.


Livingston? Ack. Last time I was there I was almost mugged for a dollar. I ended up buying the guy a cheeseburger to save my @$$ but still...

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home