Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Sweet & Sour

First on the agenda today--cuteness!

How did the "singer" portion of Chunky's performance yesterday go? Smashing if I do say so myself.

Here's a quick five second clip for ya:




My finger wasn't fast enough pressing the "record" button. The first line and portion of the second line you missed was "Someday I'll be a singer/Just you wait and see..."

What was he wearing?

100_3714

I took a misprinted t-shirt I got from Cafe Press (The Loteria Bloody Heart-Come Ball of Yarn #27 ala Knitty shirt--they let me keep the misprinted one after they sent me my replacement at no charge). I turned the t-shirt inside out, ripped/cut off the sleeves, slashed some holes in the body of the shirt, stuck some safety pins on there and used puffy paint to write "Rock n Roll."

Dr. Mad Scientist nearly shit a brick when he heard I put an anarchy symbol on there. Considering the performance was in the Temple gymnasium, yeah, I might be going to hell for that one. Add it to the list. (We're not Jewish, and neither is the preschool--but they use the basement of a local Temple).

Next item of cuteness on the agenda--the mini-mite hat I knit for the baby shower Dr. Mad Scientist has at work on Thursday.

100_3756

Gah, the damn thing looks even cuter in that picture.

Notice anything else in that picture? On the bookshelf?

Yeah, at Knit's End.

It was a gift! I swear!

If you've been around here, you know I don't really care for the products of the Yarn Harlot.

I did read at Knit's End--but I checked it out of the library. It wasn't that bad, but it wasn't full of stellar revelations that would make me want to shell out $9.95 for it or any of her other books.

And ok, I'll admit, I have been stalking the Yarn Harlot's blog this past week or so--but only because I was waiting for her Alaska post.

Her post on Alaska was kind of like At Knit's End.

Nice fluff, but nothing interesting about Alaska.

I keep hoping that someday someone will visit up there and say "You know, Alaska's really not that weird."

I hate the way everyone fixates on the whole light in the summer/dark at night thing. Norway's the same way--why don't you hear more people talking about Norway in that respect???

I didn't really appreciate her misspelling of the word "Oomingmak." I will admit that I'm not perfect and I make my fair share of typos/grammatical errors. However, I do go back and read these posts before I publish them to clean them up and check my spelling.

If you're going to consistently misspell a word, great! Go for it.

But if you're going to misspell a word UNDERNEATH A PICTURE OF A SIGN THAT HAS THE CORRECT SPELLING? Bah.

Alright, maybe I'm being a tad anal.

I guess the Yarn Harlot's been having a hard time lately.

I'll preface it with the perfunctory: I'm sure in real life she's an upstanding human being. However, again, like her books, what she had to say about blogging today was kind of "duh" and has been said many times before by others.

(Go read her post today if you're interested in seeing what I'm talking about. I don't link to her not because I'm afraid she'll see me talking about her but because I've never linked to her. She's ubiquitous enough in the knitting community, she doesn't need any link pimping).

But on the other hand, I want to say "Get over it."

Ok, maybe the written word has more sting to it than the spoken word. But who among us doesn't remember the not so nice things said about us?

I remember Maree G. in 9th grade telling me I had a fat ass.

I remember Richelle, my elementary school nurse's daughter, telling a friend of mine (I overheard them talking) that "it made her sick to look at me I was so poor."

Yeah those words stuck with me how many years later?

But on the other hand (how many hands am I up to now?), I also remember the first time someone (outside my immediate family ha ha!) told me I was beautiful.

The good words stick just as tight as the negative words.

So what if someone thinks you look like a weasel and have bad grammar? Now I might be more inclined to side with her if someone alleged she beat her children and locked them in closets. Them are fightin' words!

But looking like a weasel? Yeah, get over it.

OK I realize that she might have been using the weasel thing as an example...

...but who doesn't look like some type of animal?

Sometimes I think I look like the lovechild of the pig and a beaver.

C'mon, you know you think it too!

PIG + BEAVER = 108230307_4e4c6203c6_t

It's OK. You can say it.

I promise I won't write a veiled blogpost anonymously yelling at you.

25 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

I think you're beautiful. Even with your hair in rollers and blowing a bubble.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous OLPP said...

I agree with Elizabeth. You are beautiful inside and out! When I need a rock star outfit, I am calling YOU. You're such an awesome Mom!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Nice job on the Rock Star shirt! You are just too cool! :)

10:50 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Even tho the video was only 5 seconds long, I could see Chunky's inner rock star shining through.

You are beautiful

10:54 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Holy crap. That was freaking hilarious! Someone give this woman a book deal. lol. I went to her blog and saw the sign typo. That made me laugh as well! I don't subscribe. I google it. Maybe I should google "yarn harlot misspells Oomingmak". Then she could see that search leading to her blog. Man, your post put me in a feisty mood! ;P Off to google.... :D

And hello! You don't look like a pig and a chinchilla or whatever that was. :D You look like a rock star!

11:02 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Mmmmm.... yeah..... I have to say I really think there IS a difference between someone *saying* (as in "speaking") something unpleasant about you and putting it out there on the internet for the entire world to see, comment on, and link to. If nothing else, both things are rude and there's really no excuse for grown-ups to be rude on purpose.

I do agree that proof-reading's a good thing, though! ;-)

11:38 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Lookit all the cuteness! That shirt is hilarious! Now if only Chunky had a mullet...

I don't read YH's blog anyway, so knowing ahead of time it's duh, I'll just take your word for it. ;)

You are beautiful! Not only on the outside, but on the inside, where it really counts. :)

2:53 AM  
Blogger Krysstyllanthrox said...

I was in Alaska last year and was pleasantly surprised by the weather and the beauty while being unpleasantly surprised by it still being dark at 8am and really messing up my sleep schedule.

I'll have to post my few dinky Alaska pictures later to my blog.

6:05 AM  
Anonymous jennifer said...

My question is, why don't you have a book deal (or, as publishers refer to them, a "blook"* deal)?

*blog + book = blook

You know I'd pay $9.95 for your book.

6:44 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

That is the cutest baby hat ever! I think that everytime you knit one!

7:42 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

The baby gifts are adorable! I have to wait to get home to see Chunky's Rock Star moment tho. *sniff*

You DO NOT look like a pig and a beaver. But someone in my neighborhood looks like Jabba the Hutt...

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Amby said...

You know what freaks me out the most about this whole latest Yarn Harlot flap? The commenters. Some of those people are really scary. They're pulling out the torches and pitchforks, ready to defend their beloved Harlot to the death, and yet 80% OF THEM HAVE NO CLUE WHICH BLOG THE POST IS SUPPOSEDLY REFERRING TO!!!!!! I don't know which comment bothered me the most, the one offering to kick someone's ass for bad-mouthing the Harlot, or the one saying that she hopes the knit-blogging community will gently correct her (the commenter) and take away her yarn until she apologizes, should she ever make a blog-blunder like that.

I'm all for kindness, but not if it means it's arbitrarily enforced by the popular kids and I'm LECTURED about it.

And no you do not look like a beaver OR a pig. We would tell you if you did. ;-)

8:35 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hubby once sent a lunch with Dan on a mini camp day...ham and cheese sandwich. Problem is, the place he goes is Jewish. Not only that, but he should have known better...His MOM is Jewish!!

You're beautiful and NOT a mix between a pig and a beaver.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

That hat just cracks me up! I love it.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First things first---I always LOVE your baby gifts!! They are soooo cute. Next---I think that it is funny that you consider yourself a cross between a pig and beaver!! When I was a kid the kids in school use to call me "Beaver" because of my buck teeth. Even after I had gotten braces and my teeth were straightened. So I guess you really are a cross of a beaver and whatever your father is. And yes---until you leave the little town you grew up in you don't realize that you are beautiful. I think that home town people(your peers anyway)know too much about you and are blinded by what their parents say. Love, Mom
PS-I always keep a dictionary close by cause I can't spell!

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Fiberfool said...

Bezzie, both pigs and beavers are beautiful!! dontchaknow?

2:54 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I was in Alaska about 4 years ago. I saw a lady in a kayak get hit it the side of the head with a spawning salmon. Alaska kicks ass.

P.S. I am feeling you on the YH comments.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

All I know is that I like you even more because we share the same feelings about the YH. I don't see the what all the hoopla is about. I'm sure she's very nice, and she's witty, and she can knit...um...so can 5 zillion other bloggers.

I so love that spidey hat. Maybe I should make one for seamonkey for Halloween this year!

9:09 PM  
Blogger kathyb said...

So I had no idea who this lovely harlot was...I don't knit, not talented enough, but I do think it is funny that this woman who obviously gets mad support can't understand that not everybody is going to like you and more importantly we are people, not perfect. So better to accept our own faults and those of others right?

And in case you were wondering I look like a bunny and a raccoon (squishy nose and too much eye makeup).

9:52 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

I like the Harlot, not in a pitchfork and torch kind of way. Why you've stated your opinions you've never resulted to being a jerkass, either.

I think some knitbloggers DO go overboard with the snark in general. I just keep away from them. Who wants to read crappy high schoolish BS?

10:20 PM  
Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

You so totally rock!

I wanna be the president of the Bezzie Fan Club.

10:53 PM  
Blogger peri said...

As long as you don't look like a cross between a big and a peaver - I wouldn't worry too much.

Great post - good read, with great humour - A+

4:08 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

LOL

Yarn Harlot with its million comments...it is like a cult LOL and somehow that has me giggling. A knitting cult LOL

1:31 PM  
Blogger AR said...

Rock On!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

Aw bless what a cutie, although a knitted rock star wig would have gone down a storm.

My brother lives in Norway and I have to say that I do mock the light thing, but it's all tongue in cheek and in good fun.

Although I'm sure you couldn't give a monkeys what people think of you - I think you're fab and worthy of blogstalking

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home