Thursday, June 28, 2007

Tuh-Mater

Time for a Tomato update!

100_3812

Yes, probably not best to put my WIP on my dirty stairs, but if people can hang knitting and/or yarn in trees to take pics, a dirty stair isn't going to kill me.

I'm nearly done with the increases for the sleeves. After I completed 15 (of the 24) 2 row increase rounds, I did the neck modifications so the neckline won't be so lowcut. I think it will turn out OK.

100_3813

I'm also not really having the "it's ginormous!" panic that many people knitting this seem to be having. Granted, that could be because I'm knitting the 35 1/2 inch bust version (I'm a 37" bust--but the next size up in the pattern--40"--seemed too big).

It could also be because I'm knitting it with a sub yarn. TLC Cotton Plus is a lot thinner than the Blue Sky Alpaca cotton that the pattern calls for.

And yes, I did swatch!

I had to go up to a size 8 needle. Even then, my swatch was a smidge smaller than what the pattern gauge called for.

If it's too small I'll send it to Mom or something. Or maybe my Youngest Younger Sister. Or maybe I'll just send it to Palmer and let the both of them wrestle for it. Hm, I might be on to something there!

My tomato plants are still doing well too--knock on wood. I had to pull them upstairs and under the landing last night during a torrential downpour we had.

We're under flash flood warnings all tonight too.

Hopefully my steak knife stakes will hold.

100_3814

I couldn't push the blades too far down for fear of slicing some roots.

Speaking of Tomatoes, Chunky and I tried hitting the local Farmers' Market tonight.

As I was telling Youngest Younger Sister via email today, it's that time of year where I miss things like fresh turnips that you can eat like apples from Bushes and Bunches back in Palmer, or Van Houten Produce in Lansing (which downscaled from a large local produce store to a flea market stand last time I read due to the owner suffering a fatal heart attack chasing some jackhole who was shoplifting/stealing from them).

This yearning combined with my not-quite-ready-pot-garden-harvest and the fact I signed up as a Baby Steps member of One Local Summer, I figured we would check the Farmers' Market out.

It runs every Thursday in downtown (Insert The Name Of The Town I Live In) from noon to seven p.m.

We got there at 6:10 p.m. to find all of the vendors packing up.

I was sorely disappointed. If you're going to advertise "Until 7:00 p.m." then at the very least don't start packing up til 7:00! Ok, ok, I understand they've got to get home, and I could accept them packing up at 6:30 p.m.--but 6:10 p.m.?

Yeah, I wasn't too happy.

Oh well. The (Insert The Name Of The Town I Live In) Center Alliance will get a strongly worded email expressing my displeasure and informing them that unfortunately I will be instead patronizing the Farmers' Market (also on Thursday) located in (Insert the Name Of The Town I Work In That Is 20 Miles Away From The Town I Live In) on my lunch hour.

I just thought it would be fun to drag Chunky along with me. I remember how much he loved going to Van Houtens in Lansing.

This weekend we'll be hitting the local butcher shop though for some steaks. Shoprite steaks don't hold a candle to butcher shop steaks.

We've got plans for a delicious July 4 grill-out. And hey, maybe they'll have chicken hearts. I have yet to find anyone that sells chicken hearts. They always mix them with gizzards. Gross. Who eats gizzards?

Labels: , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger T. Budnik said...

I sure hope Nikki reads this. Because she loves the word "jackhole."

-T.

8:10 PM  
Blogger rincaro said...

Right. Cause chicken hearts aren't gross at all. Yeesh.

I've got yarn coming for a Tomato from knitpicks. I'm such a joiner! (Either that or knittyboard folks are terrible enablers....)

8:35 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Gizzards, marinated in soy sauce (and possibly other things...) and then chilled in the fridge and eaten cold are yum, yum, yum, delicious!! Ok, I AM half chinese you know....us chinese eat strange things. :)

9:39 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

That sucks about the farmers market. Although not sure I would eat produce in NJ, you know, it being the armpit and all....haha just a little metro area rivalry there...carry on...

9:41 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Ewww chicken hearts and gizzards! Anyway! Both Tuh-Mater's are looking good! Bummer about the market, maybe no one was buying or something!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Chicken hearts?! What do you do with chicken hearts? I guess that's a blog post of it's own.

Yay for the tomato. I like the sheen of the yarn you're using. Hopefully it'll fit you just fine.

Good luck with the next farmer's market you're going to!

10:54 PM  
Blogger janna said...

My dad loved chicken gizzards -- deep fried, of course! Personally, I think all chicken innards are pretty gross.

We've got a Saturday morning Farmers Market here. I'm going to try to get there this weekend.

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh! Chicken hearts!! I haven't had them in years. They are best just fried in a cast iron fry pan. As for the gizzards I used to use them to make my gravy for Thanksgiving. And you know if your Tuh-mater don't fit that I can take your YYS down! Hahahaha!! Love, Mom

11:50 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

That is so bizarre...I was just craving gizzards the way my mom used ta' make 'em. She never made me eat hearts though...

So who eats gizzards? Well, I'm Mexican...and have had cricket tacos, cow brain, and who know what else from my family in the "DF" (Mexico City), so we eat weird things too.

12:26 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Those steak knives are cracking me up! It's your own version of "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"!

Your Farmer's Market story reminds me - I need to send a strongly worded letter to City Hall about the Santa truck skipping our street in December. Fat bastard.

3:20 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

I love fried chicken livers! Yum!

Your tomato sweater is looking good! It is a very pretty color.

4:20 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I wish I lived near a proper butcher shop! I really miss that most. All right I'll give you that gizzards are yuck - but how are the hearts any better?

7:32 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

I can find chicken hearts at Shop-Rite. If you have one near you, check it out.

I never do the farmer's market in a local parking lot thing. They tend to come in from a long way away and get there early so those of us who show up later get the picked over stuff. Find a local "farm stand". They're usually a lot better.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Our local library cafe used to be like that - it would close at 7:00pm, but try to buy coffee after 6pm and the girl would tell you that you could only have tea because she had already cleaned the coffee pots and coffee machine and didn't want to dirty them again. Um, yeah... the cafe is no longer open...

8:56 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Bezzie - reading your blog gives me major blasts from my pasts. For one thing, NJ tomatoes are AWESOME, so I think you'll be quite please with how yours turn out (well the food ones, and the top!). And also because I used to shop at ShopRite. - zuma starts singing Memories... all alone in the mooooonlight....

11:52 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

My mom used to eat gizzards. Now i save them for the dog. They just look too much like...well you know. Big chickens huh? Your plant is looking really good! We had the skies open up here too, what a racket! Love that color you chose, soon, I'll be casting on too, can't wait!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Admit it, you just said that about chicken hearts to freak us all out and get the 'gross out' factor flowing. Didn't ya? ;-)

That potato plant is ginormous! You have seen the old black and white movie, The Thing from Another World, right? Keep an eye on it.

Very pretty color for your Tomato, the knitted tomato that is. I can't decide about the boob skidmark on the design. It tasks me.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Strangely enough, my dad eats gizzards. I know! I don't know. My grandmother eats pig's feet, too...

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home