Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Yasser

Yasser is done!

100_3670

What the hell is Yasser?

It's a car trash bag of course.

100_3671

Before Yasser, I would tie a plastic grocery bag to the headrest.

Now that it's summer, with the windows down, Chunky would get a facefull of plastic and trash blowing in his face with that set up.

I needed something sturdier.

Cristi rak'ed me some black and white sock-weight cotton mystery yarn.

The neutral colors made them a perfect fit with the color scheme my car. All I did was knit up a giant lacy-mesh rectangle, some straps to attach it to the seat and sewed it all up. Very mindless.

Why do I call it "Yasser?"

The way the yarn knit up it reminded me of Yasser Arafat's trademark headscarf.

Yasser_051024022914127_wideweb__300x375

That's not the best picture of him, but I couldn't resist posting a pic of him going through his Ringo Starr identity crisis period.

Now all that's left on the needles is my second Quill Lace sock. I'm about to turn the heel on that one so it should be done soon.

I thought I would be hard up to think of something new to knit. Oh no. Not with a five year old in the house.

He came home with his "wardrobe" list for the graduation performance they're putting on at school.

Wanna hear what I have to get to school by June 15? And is it any wonder I hate musicals?

* A bandana (Check--it was a going away to Texas present from my old coworkers)

* Blue jeans (Check--I hope they don't mind them with knee holes)

* Denim shirt, long sleeved

* Cowboy hat (Check--Thank you Grandpa for getting Chunky a real cowboy hat for xmas two years ago!)

* Light blue shirt (Check--I think I can round something up in his shirt drawer resembling this)

* Solid white pants

* Dress black shoes

* Toy microphone

Here's what I have in mind:

I can knit him a toy microphone, that will be super easy.

I've been wanting to buy him some bigger shoes, but I hate buying him black tennis shoes. I think I'll buy some black shoe polish and a new pair of white tennis shoes. I'll take the polish to his OLD white tennis shoes that he's wearing now. His teachers will never know the difference. He's outgrowing those old shoes anyway.

Here's what I'm stumped with:

White pants (Who the hell looks good in white pants?)

Long sleeved denim shirt (Where am I going to find a LONG SLEEVED SHIRT in summer?)

Maybe my ghetto sewing skills can help me get away with making him some white PJ-type pants? I can't guarantee they'll be thick enough where his Sponge Bob underpants won't be clearly visible on his butt when he turns around though.

The long sleeved denim shirt is totally annoying. Thrift stores are out of the question. They have JACK for thrift stores around here. It sucks.

Ah the joy of having children.

Speaking of which, The Spawn was spurned this morning at 6:06 a.m. I seriously thought that blog name was prophetic when I heard what time she was born, but then I realized it was 6/5 and not 6/6. Whew!

I'm sure she'll be cute. But only because of my two ugly parents = cute kid theory. Two pretty people = ugly babies.

Chunky is cute, but Suri Cruise freaks me the hell out.


Labels: , , ,

28 Comments:

Blogger Penny Karma said...

ME FIRST ME FIRST!!!!

Um, I didn't have anything in particular to say, I was just hoping you'd be tuning in to America's Got Talent this evening.

I'll keep an eye out for a denim shirt for Chunkilicious.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Hit the thrift?

7:15 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Love the Yasser! Ringo Starr identity crisis - ha!

Light blue shirt AND a denim shirt? Sheesh! Maybe you could take a regular long-sleeve shirt and get some dark blue Rit and dye it?

7:20 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

I love that fishnet lace business. Yeah, go thrift diving for the shirt and pants.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

I'm ass deep in thrift shops. What size does Chunky need? PM me or email me or summat and I'll see what I can come up with.

Yasser is very cool too. Add that to the book idea...

7:39 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Knit a microphone? Are you telling me he doesn't have an echomicrophone from way back when Mom bought them every summer at JoAnn's?

-T.

PS. I eagerly await pictures of this performance.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

So, I am pretty sure Danny has a long sleeve denim shirt, AND a toy microphone. I can't do anything on the white pants though....you want one or both, just let me know. I can meet you somewhere in Jersey this Sunday, as we're there again looking at houses.

What the hell does he need white pants for?!?! I totally need to see pics of this....

9:13 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I can look around the thrift shops here for some stuff if it would help.

For white pants, would sweat pants work? One year when Owen wanted to be something involving white sweatpants at Halloween, I found them in the girls dept. But I didn't tell him that was where they came from.

Anyway, reading the comments, it looks like you have lots of offers to help. But let me know if you get to a crisis. We have many great thrift shops.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Awesome, Yasser it is! You are just too creative!! You need a book!

Hoping everyone gets lucky finding you the goods for Chunky!

10:25 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I think it's cool that Chunky has all these knitting Aunties ready to make sure his costume is on the money!

11:43 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Yay! I wonder what good old Yasser would think of having a knit garbage bag named after him...

The thrift shop here sucks. I feel your pain. I have an old denim shirt, but it goes down to my knees, so I doubt it'd be a really good fit on the Chunkster.

I too am wondering about the white pants.

2:54 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

Mwahaha! Very apt name.

You should have bagged yourself a sailor during fleet week and trophied his pants! At least he isn't coming home three times a year needing an outfit for a historical site visit. My mother wasn't best pleased the year I needed to a medieval peasant, a victorian serving girl and a nun. Hope you find everything you need.

4:51 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

So...he needs costumes for reenacting brokeback mountain and saturday night fever? Interesting.

Love Yasser! Very clever. I never would have thought to knit something so useful. Hmm...*eyes the spindles on the shelf*

6:39 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

Hmmm... maybe if I made a trashbag my car would be cleaner... doubt it. And good idea, wouldn't want to be messing up Chunkie's cute face with trash and plastic whip marks!

No thrift stores? Seriously??? That sucks.

7:42 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Yasser is very clever.

Okay - this costume for the play does sounds a little odd - but I hope he has a bunch of fun.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Alma said...

And we have the sixth Beatle.
And when you say "Who the hell looks good in white pants?" I say Bryan Ferry. I've always thought he was mightily delicious. Even in white pants. *tries googling for photo*

It sounds as if you're in for an interesting musical experience.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Yeah, dye a cheap or old shirt dark blue and bleach a pair of old/cheap pants to get white....What kind of play is this? Brokeback Mountain goes Disco?

11:17 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

A knitted microphone would be shockingly similar in shape/size to a knitted penis....I'm sure few would notice if you just substituted. ;) ha!

Your car accessory is so clever. You are a whiz.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Sweet Mother of Jesus, I cannot believe you put a picture of Yasser Arafat on your blog.....Who's next The Captain & Tennelle?:p What the hell, for some damn reason he won the Nobel Peace Prize! Gahhhh!

Back on track though, like your *shiver* Yasser!

Love, love will keep us together.....

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! that is a great idea! I know what you can give everyone for Christmas---Yassers!!! Your Middle Younger Brother really needs one, And grey/silver is a color that would work in everyones car! Your welcome!! Love, Mom

11:39 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I like Yasser. Might have to make one myself.
What a rediculous list. You might check any type of "workman's wearhouse" type place that sells Wrangler work clothes for a denim kid's version.
Hey, add me to the KAYE list. Got it taken care of Monday. (and got some of those chewable BC pills they show on TV...very handy!)

12:37 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Love Yasser! I thought it had something to do with him all along. I feel your pain with the school list crap. I had to do that with 2 girls right up to high school. aaahhhhh!!!

2:39 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Yasser is exactly what I was thinking of when you said you called your knit Yasser! How cool is that?

3:15 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

I love that the car trash bag is named for the ex-leader of the arab world! love and hated by many, much like the various items that will end up in the bag! congrats on the new baby, my son is 5 today, 6/6 not 6/5... that long sleeve shirt issue is a tough one...

4:04 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Yasser rocks...great job!! I was dying at the Ringo Starr identity comment...Oh my gosh!! LOL

That is quite a list. Do you have denim shirt you could take apart and make him one.....easier I would think to find an adult size.

Your so inventive that you'll get it all together!!!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Ohhhhh!!

I have white pants. Lots and lots of white pants. How could I have forgotten? Granted, they're grown-up pants, but you could sew them up in a smaller size in a jiffy. Do you have a sewing machine? I have the added bonus of being unemployed, so if you need 'em, sewn and all, lemme know.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Crochet does take lots more yarn even on open work bags! Next one is definitely a knit even though that cone seems to be a never ending one. Yasser is one I gotta have in the car!

7:29 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

I love that trash bag idea! And I can't wait to see how everything turns out. You are so creative. I'm sure a knitted microphone will look really cool!

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home