Friday, July 27, 2007

Chasing My Tail

Well kindergarten registration was a bust. And my next paycheck will suffer because of it. I don't have paid time off yet, and we're still living check-to-check as we pay off our dark masters Visa and Mastercard from the 2006 moves.

Oh the doctor's appointment went well, and I had all the right paperwork, and technically he could start in September.

But because I didn't register before June 21, they can't tell me whether or not he'll be in afternoon or morning kindergarten until the day before or the first day OF school.

Now I understand teachers and administrators are entitled to three months off. But shouldn't there be a way to assign kids as they register to morning or afternoon kindergarten as they register?

And am I just nuts to find it odd that teachers don't have to show up until the day before school starts? How do you prep for a school year in one day???

Effing New Jersey is probably too cheap to pay them to come in a few days earlier. They're probably coming in a week early, but they're probably not getting paid for it.

Now tell me, how am I supposed to arrange for before and after childcare when I don't KNOW when my kid will be going to school???

It probably doesn't matter anyway. Since it's half day kindergarden finding childcare would be an effing nightmare even if I knew what time of day he was going to school. (No, the Y, the primary before and after providers at the elementary school he'd be going to does not offer full before and after care for kindergarteners.)

On the plus side, the preschool he's at has a kindergarten program. That's actually the classroom he was in when the school year was in session.

He was behind the other kids as he joined the class in April, not September when it started. But his teachers have told me he's very quick in picking it up and very excited to learn it. (He really digs math. I know those genes aren't mine.)

Plus the place is run by a bunch of Russian women and there are a lot of kids there who's first language is Russian. Chunky's already rattled off a couple of words (and tried to teach me some!) at home. It makes me homesick for Alaska hearing all those Russians. I know they're from a place nearly as far away as we are.

So I guess for next school year he'll be going to "private" kindergarten.

And all I'll have to do is dip a little into our meager excuse for a "savings" account to cover the money I lost taking him to the dr. and to register for public kindergarten.

Plus he was overdue for his yearly physical. Can you believe that child of ours is only a foot and two inches shorter than me? Dr. Mad Scientist did the math compared to his measurements from February last year and he's growing 1/2 an inch every two months. Geeze! He's not even six!

Moving on, I finished Mom's boobie.

100_3918

Sorry about the concave nipple there Mom. Just tell people your nip is a little shy. As I knit more of these I'm sure I'll get the nippleage down better.

I think it might be a tad bit too big than your other boob. I'm not sure. It's been a while since I've seen your rack. Besides, who has two boobs that match perfectly?

This is why Laverne is named Laverne and Shirley is named Shirley. Laverne is bigger than Shirley.

Speaking of Mom, I can now tell you what I put on the cards for the Very Devious Plan for her 50th birthday.

It was a rebus.

100_3920

Each card had a picture or symbol. The final message read:

"Happy Birthday!! You are old like cheese, but you smell better!!"

The stamps on the cards were upside down because I believe that means "I love you." Chunky's coveted Star Wars stamps however were not put upside down--they were too beloved to put upside down. He agonized for half an hour about which stamps to part with!

And the fat cat? That was an old picture. I've been told he's lost a few pounds since that was taken. But they don't call him Pig for nothing!

Finally, I think something is up with my baby tomaters:

100_3919

Two of them (on the same plant) look like this. The one in the picture is the worst of them.

Doing some research it looks like buckeye rot at first but these maters don't touch the ground, which is what tomatoes with buckeye rot do. Therefore I'm thinking that it's blossom end rot. That would make more sense since that has to do with watering stress (they can get quite wilted from the time I leave for work and when I get back home) and lack of calcium.

I think I need to lime them. But where do I get just a little bit of lime? I don't need a whole honking bag.

I feel a weekend quest coming on.

Labels: , , ,

31 Comments:

Blogger Krysstyllanthrox said...

Half day kindergarten has always been odd to me. I had a full day when I started going to school. What is the point of only being there a few hours? I would imagine you would no sooner get them really settled and into the groove before oops! time to go home.

And most (good) teachers start going back in around the beginning of August to get their rooms clean, organized, and get stuff ready. They are still technically getting paid for it, since they get summer pay, but it is exactly like going in to work on a day you took as a mental health day.

6:06 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

I think it's crazy that they don't offer before and after care as well. Sounds like a bad business decision on their part. I hope the private school works out well.
The boobie came out fantastic! It sounds like your mom is a very upbeat woman with a great sense of humor (which is where I assume you got yours from)! I hope your tomatoes work out...I would guess maybe a nursery might have smaller qtys of lime? Good luck!

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Kindergarten sounds like a giant pain in the butt. I had to laugh at your tomato problem, though, as you may recall that the water here is absolutely lime-encrusted. That's all you need to save your tomatoes! Texas water!

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Miss T said...

Terracycle plant food is 100% natural (made from worm poop), and they make tomato food that has calcium in it.

7:59 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

That whole after care thing has always been a nightmare for parents that both work. It's the summer conversation around all watercoolers here in NJ.

Speaking of growing fast - my 7 1/2 year old nephew's feet are as big as my SILs. She can wear his sneakers. Looks like he is going to take after his 6'5" uncle with the size 15 feet.

NJ may be the state that's wrapped in more red tape than any other but we know how to grow tall kids here. ;-)

I have a black thumb so I'm no help with the lime. Sorry. Can you go to a neighbor and borrow a cuppa? heh

8:14 AM  
Blogger tejiendo said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:22 AM  
Anonymous bufanditas said...

I didn't realize that there was 1/2 day kindergarten. It's always been full day here and according to my teacher friends it's more like 1st grade nowadays. Kids don't get a nap and there is less play. Kinda sucks if you ask me.

8:24 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Those kindergarten problems suck.

Nice teet.

My condolences about your 'mater.

-T.

8:36 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

It does look like blossom end rot. You could go get a bag of all-purpose plant food, like Miss T said. OR (and this may sound crazy) if you really only need calcium, you could get some chalk, crush it up, dissolve it in water, and water your maters with it. Chalk is calcium carbonate. It's the same thing as lime.

Or if you really wanted to get crazy, you could dissolve some Rolaids or Tums (which is the one with added calcium? I forget) and water your plants with that. I'm not so sure I'd recommend that, though. I don't know what else is in there. Ask the Mad Scientist, maybe? He's medical, right?

9:13 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Bezzie, I completely empathize. We had to go through hoops to get Willow into full-day kindergarten - a lottery, no less! The school has one full-day class for 20 students and apparently 100+ joined the lottery. In this day and age when so many families have both parents working I don't understand why full-day K isn't the norm. Good luck!

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

My buddy Necia (Jane of All Trades) CONSTANTLY has issues w/the NJ school system. She mostly says it sucks ass. LOL

What's wrong w/a whole bag of lime? You can use up a little on the tomato and the rest cut up and stick in some Coronas and drink up! :D

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, the replacement Boobie looks real good!!! So life like!! I just hope my right side will do it justice! As for your 'mater I can't help you, but as someone suggested try a nursery. Love, Mom

11:09 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Crushed egg shells work for calcium too. Plus it's free!

Nice titty. sorry about the lovely school crap.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Yet one more reason to dislike NJ and their stupid things about Kindergarten. GAH!

12:07 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Heh heh - maybe he can teach you all the bad words. Because you KNOW that's what they share first. ;)

Nice half rack! I can't help you on the mater sitch. All my plants go straight from thrive to die with no transition in between.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

That is super poopy! Bad 'maters! If there is a mater plant that has lack of water stress, it would be mine and mine have never had anything like that. They too don't touch the ground. I will have to ask my green thumbed relatives at our (drunken) family reunion this weekend.

The boobie is wonderful, BTW.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Our tomatoes always get wilt. It's a drag.

Nice boob for your mom. An act of true daughterly devotion.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Geesh, I didn't know they still had 1/2 day kindergarten. Bummer about that!! I have a black thumb, so I'm useless there.

Awesome tit!!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

From a former teacher's POV:
"1/2" day kinder means you can have up (in certain districts in cali) THREE different classes a day to deal with the shortage of teachers. It's gruesome and I'm happy I never taught anything "younger" than 7th grade.

We were not ALLOWED to go into our classrooms--i.e. they took away our DO NOT DUPLICATE keys and would not give them back--until 2 days before school. No roster, no photocopying, no nothin' (do you wonder why I loved the profession so much? I bow down to those who can do it and not go a wee bit bonkers.) The trick was to have everything ready before the end of the last school year. My friends start on Tuesday, they just got their keys yesterday...Nary a roster yet, though.

Great boobie!

Okay, here's my plan for how you can afford Chunkie's school: Write up your fish pattern, SELL IT. Write up any more of your fabu ideas, and SELL THEM. I'd totally buy a rebus for my little brother from you...just sayin'.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Showing us a real tomato is a cop out. What happened to your Tomato sweater????

8:09 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

How frustrating!

Best wishes to your mom. The nipple will look fine in a bra, and the boobie is pretty enough to display openly, if one could figure out how to attach it. And if it weren't just a little bit too naughty.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Sorry about the school stuff. It sucks ... but you probably know that as a homeschooler I'm a little anti-school biased anyway :).

Regarding your tomato, here's some good info: http://www.essortment.com/home/howtogrowtoma_sded.htm. Apparently, eggshells, as someone else suggested, will work ... and it's free :).

11:35 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

That's a beautiful boobie! It looks very soft.

That tomato looks like an eyeball

12:42 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I was an afternooner when I was in kindergarten. Seems kinda silly really. I don't get it. School's not that bad let 'em be there all day like the big kids! Plus, like you've related here, it's a pain in the ass for parents that work. It shouldn't be stress filled it should be exciting. I'm glad you have a "private" alternative for Chunky.

And the cards for your mom? That's so creative and cool. Love it.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Welcome to the public school system! my oldest in private high school for some of the same stupid reasons! And height? Don't me started-my 12 yr old is 3" taller than me & I'm not short. Good luck with the public servants (yeah right).

12:51 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Wow - your mom's boob looks great! (never thought I'd say that), and it sounds like she had a fun birthday. - zuma

11:06 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Love the boobie!!

Our teachers are here the whole first week before and I beleive we knew quite in advance what days Amber would be going. It sucks not to know what is up.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Excellent titbit (much nicer than storebought)!

Looks like blossom end rot, alright - at least it's correctable. I'd remove the affected fruits because they aren't good to eat, only get nastier, and take away strength from the good fruits. Lime is too strong and slow for a container plant. Bone meal is a good mix in for container soil. For an established container plant, just tuck a Tums or two into the pot.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Um...nice boob. heh.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

That sucks. Surely they must realise people need to make further arrangements.

Start putting the fertiliser on the tomatoes instead of the kid!

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home