Friday, July 20, 2007

Falling Out of Love

By the time I get to about the heel of a second sock, I am ready to move on to a new pair.

You could say I've fallen out of love with them.

Which was true as I knit the Falling Out of Love socks.

100_3886

They're based on the Falling In Love socks from Magknits. They're supposed to be knit toe-up. But you know how I feel about toe ups.

100_3887

I like that when I look at these socks when I'm wearing them, the hearts are upside right. Not upside down as the pattern would have been had I knit them toe up.

The details:

Pattern: "Falling Out of Love" based on "Falling In Love" from Magknits

Yarn: Socks that Rock lightweight in "Mustang Sally" (Thanks Amy!)

Needles: US 2 DPNs. I snapped one of my 5" Brittany birches doing the K4Tog this pattern calls for. Brittany not only sent me a replacement needle for free--they sent me TWO needles. Nice!

Mods: Obviously I flipped the design by knitting them cuff-down. I also didn't knit the pattern all the way around the cuff. Since there are cables involved in these socks, I'm glad I didn't. I would have run out of yarn had I done that. I like the plain stockinette back to these socks. It really shows off the purtiness of the yarn.

I really hate to say this, because I know there are people out there that put a lot of thought and effort into designing socks, but the past few fancy socks I've knit, all I do is copy the design pattern. I ignore everything else about the heel and toe and even the top cuff. All I really care about is the main pattern.

When I printed out the pattern for this sock, all I did was copy the lace instructions into a word document.

I added a 1X1 cuff to the top and I did a band/German strap heel. I think I'll stick with my old standby the round heel. The band heel was OK, but not as asthetically pleasing to me as the round heel is.

We'll see how these hold up in the wash. The STR is very soft indeed, but in some places it the yarn was pilling already! The red here (best portrayed in the first sock) also stained my needles. I'll have to handwash these puppies a few time to avoid turning my laundry pink.

Labels: ,

26 Comments:

Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

I love the socks! I think they look great!

6:29 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Great socks. You did a awesome job!!

The only fancy ones I have done so far are the Aran Braid socks. I loved those and have another pair on the go.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Great socks. You did a awesome job!!

The only fancy ones I have done so far are the Aran Braid socks. I loved those and have another pair on the go.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Crap double post...sorry :(

7:14 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I think those socks came out very nice. I do the same thing with sock patterns. I ignore everything but the stitch pattern.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Damn, those are some good looking socks! If I could do that, I'd be wearing socks with my birks every day ... instead of just in the winter ;).

Oh, I hope they don't turn your foot red ;).

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Connie said...

Those turned out really nice! Love the color.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

I like that you switched it up so you see the hearts when you're wearing them. I haven't tried out any fancy sock patterns yet - have just done some pretty plain socks.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

They are very pretty!

8:59 AM  
Blogger bradyphrenia said...

yeah that's what i do too when i knit socks. except for nancy bush patterns. i tend to knit those as written because i feel like nancy is trying to teach me to be a better sock knitter, but generally nancy gives me a great deal of frustration instead, so who knows. i might be giving up on nancy's instructions too. why fix what ain't broken, ya know?

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Kathy said...

Bez, those are great! Maybe someday I'll be a fearless knitter like you are. You can cheer me on while wearing those fabulous socks!

PS- my bloglines told me you had 25 new posts. As a symbol of my devotion and loyalty to you, I clicked the link fully prepared to read 25 posts! (Even though I read you all the time and didn't really think you had posted 25 times in two days!)

9:15 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Bezzie, those are very pretty socks! I especially like the dark red colour. When I knit my dad's red hemp socks last year I ended up with red-stained needles (and hands!) as well.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NIce socks! Hey and I see that your shaves just for that pic! Haha!!! Love, Mom

10:27 AM  
Blogger Beverly... said...

Socks look great! I do the exact same thing with sock patterns. I have toes /heels/cuffs that I like, so I use what works for me, just adding the stitch pattern to fit around the elements that I like. Sometimes I try different toes or heels if I find a new one that sounds interesting, but that doesn't happen very often.

10:29 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Those are gorgeous! And the hearts should face right side up when you see them. :)

1:13 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Isn't that the way to do all sock patterns? :-) I sure thought so, I've been doing it that way for a while. Patterns are not custom socks, and that is why I'm going blind here with these tiny stitches, for the custom made factor.
Sometimes, if I 'know' and respect the designer, I'll try it their way and if it works, yay. If not, I'll do it my way.

They really are beautiful. Well done!

1:49 PM  
Blogger buttercup said...

I'm in search of a new toe technique to replace my tried and true. Till then I do what everyone else does - follow the pretty part and do the cuff/heel/toe I know and like.

I have a pair of socks I knit with Anne (red and a little brown), and they STILL run and turn my feet red after many washings. The only think that has saved my laundry are those "Color Catcher" things you throw in the wash. They work GREAT!

Your socks are loverly and you should see the heart when you look down at them!

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks are beautiful. I just got a skein of Mustang Sally, and I was about to look for how they knit up. Thanks for saving me some searching.

Does anyone follow instructions exactly? Wouldn't that be boring as he!!?

~Denice

3:04 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

They're pretty, but I know what you mean about falling out of love with a pattern. There's a reason for SSS!

4:00 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Socks turned out well! Even if you are bored with them at this point.

5:29 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I love them! Perfect pattern for the yarn.

I do the same thing. I take the stitch pattern and insert it into my own standard sock recipe. That's why I don't sweat the sizing details on my patterns as much because I know people that have knit socks before will use whatever stitch count, heel and toe they want to use. It's not rocket science, right?

6:00 PM  
Anonymous kristi and otis said...

Purdy! I like the cuff-down look.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I love them!

I think I have a few second socks hanging around this close to completion somewhere...

I'm even worse than you on the socks: I only ever make the exact same boring 2X2 ribbing socks over and over and over. Every time. My big thrill is choosing 60 or 64 stitches.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Nice sockies.

Right off the bat I'm always altering patterns thanks to the ankles I inherited from the "ranching stock" I come from. CO 60? with US2s? HA HA HA HA... Try 80... with US1s. That tends to change most patterns immediately.

So you never said...what orphan wizzard book are you reading? The Little Prince maybe? Do share.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Very pretty socks there!! I like your idea of sock knitting too...Hope I can do it one day..I'm pattern OCD I think! Gah!

9:59 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Nice jorb!

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home