Sunday, July 29, 2007

Here Comes The Brides

In the past three weeks we've received two wedding invites in the mail.

The first was for Dr. Mad Scientist's sister who's getting married for the second time around.

Per Miss Manners and our craptacular move-depleted bank account, they get a nice card and no gift.

I ripped off Jersey Knitter's idea of taking the Ann Budd Knit Your Own Greeting Card idea and twisting it to my own.

100_3921

This comes from a heart-lace bookmark pattern I found somewhere out there on the internets. (See? You don't need no stinkin' Site That Shall Not Be Named to find cool patterns--all I did was type "Heart Lace Pattern" in Google to find this. Oh, how difficult!)

I decided to thread ribbon in the lace holes because they didn't show up too well even after blocking.

I think it's a snazzy little alternative to a present her and her second husband probably don't need/want.

The second invite came from Dr. Mad Scientist's oldest nephew.

His oldest nephew is the same age as my Youngest Younger Sister. If you really want to get creeped out...the mother of his oldest nephew (Dr. Mad Scientist's sister) is closer in age to my mother than he is to his sister. This is what happens when an oldest child marries a youngest child.

This was the more interesting wedding invitation.

Why?

Because when I accessed their registry lists and found that they registered for the baby layette set AND the matching king size bed 300 threadcount cotton sheets--I had to laugh.

Now maybe their marriage will last, it's possible. I'm a half-bastard myself and my parents have been married for (hmm..I'm 29....) what will be 30 years this December.

I have no room to judge. It's very well possible Chunky could have a string of knocked up women before he's 25. Who knows?

I do know that this maternity wedding gives me the opportunity to knit baby presents instead of trying to come up with something more wedding-y. (Not everyone likes hand knit washcloths.)

So I whipped up a quickie bib out of some dishcloth cotton in the stash.

100_3923

No pattern for that one. It's a bib, not toe-up short row heel entrelac cable double knit knee high stockings.

But you know, even though the wedding is obviously a shotgun one, they needed something else.

Remember Tiny Tether from Knitty? So cute! But so girly! And going off of the fact that the aforementioned layette was requested in blues and sports themes, I am ascertaining that they're having a boy.

I quickly came up with a different idea for a pacifier tether:

100_3924

A squid!!

A felted squid actually. This is the pre-felted version. I've still gotta felt the hell outta this knitted calamari, attach the clip and the ribbon for the pacifier and embroider some eyes.

Ha ha! The coolness will probably be lost on these people of a felted squid pacifier tether, but no big deal. It was fun and easy to make.

And the best part? Both the nice card for the second wedding and these wedding-come-baby presents cost me nothing than an afternoon of knitting and using up some scrap yarns in my stash!

Labels: ,

27 Comments:

Blogger LilKnitter said...

I think the squid is cooool! Felting is a little like magic: personalized felting is extra-super magic!

And I wish I could find the cotton you always use; alas, Canada falls short in some ways, including brand-name yarn selection.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are some nice presents!!! The card is going to be an heirloom!! And the bib and squid tether oh so useful!!! Isn't is nice to be able to come up with such great gifts and not spend a cent!! Love, Mom

1:48 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Clever girl!

I have a wedding and a baby shower next month too.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Email Me said...

I do like the look of the baby bibs. I really need to start a dishcloth.

Hm, a squid, how interesting. If you get nautilus pattern from knitty you can maybe add a rattle to go with it?

3:27 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

The card is really pretty! The squid is very clever....I can't wait to see it felted and finished!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

The squid looks a little... phallic. But great thinking on the gift front. Very resourceful!

My brother was "in the oven" when my folks married and they are coming up on 48 years. You never know what will work and what won't.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Love the card, but you do know the kid is going to turn into an evil cultist if you start him/her out on a Cthulhu pacifier holder, don't you?

6:53 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

If I hung out with you, I'd probably have money! You know, you missed your calling in the comic financial advisor extrodinaire field don't you?

7:38 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Nice squid.

I really do wonder what the expression on their faces will be when they open it.

-T.

7:44 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

That squid is too cool! Love it! I probably blew right by it but is that a pattern of your own too? If so, you gotta write it out! It's a squid! I mean, how could you NOT?

8:21 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

i love the squid, kid! and the rant... as always, you rule! i also share your getting ready for school for the first time blues. money and dr appts and all. in IL the kids need physicals for school... that is a cool $85! and don't stop reading just cuz i have a huge garden... you should see the weeds!!

10:02 PM  
Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

The squid reminds me of a body part I don't have. I hope the recipiant's mind isn't residing in the gutter with mine!

10:29 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I love the card....it is beautiful.

Great squid too!!!

6:40 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Love the squid! You definitely need to write these patterns down and submit somewhere. You're just f'ing brilliant!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Beautiful card! Most of the patterns I use come free off the internet. The only time I purchased one was when I had a gift certificate and wanted to use it all up. The pattern used the last 4 dollars. I love the squid pacifier holder. They weren't invented when my girls were young (my youngest if 18) and they are such a wonderful back saving invention.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Whooooo! I want the squiiiiiid!!! :)

9:35 AM  
Blogger Amysatx said...

Am I the only one who thinks the squid looks like a male body part with streamers attached? Love the card!!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Ok - now I wanna get married, just so you can make me some fantastically creative gift! That card is really pretty, and I love the pacifier squid. Too cool! - zuma

12:15 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Nice wedding stuff! I hope the couples are very happy. Er, but that squid....

3:44 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Hehe - she's getting married for the second time and there's two hearts on the card. ;)

Well, squids ARE phallic. And boys are into their thingies, so he'll probably love it!

7:15 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Great gifts! I like the card a lot, it's perfect for a multiple wedding. Um, I have to say I was thinking of the groom when I saw the squid though...

8:21 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Good ideas. All of 'em. Baby stuff always knits up quick!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh yeah, and my brother in law is almost the same age as my parents, I'm the baby married to the after-thought baby. There's a lot of overlapping in generations for us.

8:22 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I love the squid! how cool is that! I want to make one!

The card is lovely. I know I'd cherish it - and so will they.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Great gifts - you are so creative with your ideas! And if my boy used a pacifier (he prefers his thumb) I would demand one of those squids, they are too cool.

8:40 PM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Very cool and creative gift ideas! I'm sure the brides will love them!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

I love that card, it's so pretty and the ribbon really sets it off.

The squid rocks! You make the bestest baby stuff ever.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home