Sunday, August 12, 2007

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

What a freaking great weekend!

Not much knitting.

Yesterday I was busy harvesting my potatoes from the Great Urban Potato Project.

The potato was starting to show signs of dying.

100_3966

Kind of sad huh?

I figured what the hey--I'd pull 'em up. August is potato harvest time in AK. These are Yukon Golds. Maybe it was time.

So I started pulling up the plant.

100_3967

And I dug.

100_3968

And I lined up my little lumps of "gold."

100_3969

I lovingly washed them.

100_3970

And check it out--I even got a mutated "Nixon" potato.

100_3973

I'm not sure if it looks like Richard Nixon, or maybe the Virgin Mary. It hasn't cried blood yet, so I'm leaning towards Tricky Dick.

Overall harvest: 7 edible potatoes; and 5 mini spuds that were about the size of marbles. I've saved the mini spuds to see if maybe I can't plant them next year.

I would say that the Great Urban Potato Experiment was a success! One store-bought potato sprouted and planted in a large tub of potting soil yielded a nice batch of taters. Enough for two side dishes of baked potatoes, or perhaps a large helping of mashed potatoes. We'll see.

Next year I'll definately leave them in longer. Those mini spuds could have really become something. I think I'll also plant them lower in the pot and mulch up like everyone suggested. I didn't have much room to mulch up this year because of the way I filled the pot.

Today was amazing too. We went to Sea Girt, NJ and frolicked at the beach.
Chunky played in the water.

100_3978

The boys built a sand castle.

100_4010

And they swam.

100_4005

I left my swimming trunks at home. Next time they'll be coming with me for sure! I read on my blanket, napped like a cat in the sun, and even did a little knitting (a nice mindless Hat for Alex).

What a relaxing day!!!

Even the traffic on the GSP wasn't half bad.

The only downside was that despite using SPF 50, I look like I'm auditioning to be a spokesmodel for Red Lobster. Ouch!

El Chunkito was spared though. I must have put it on him thicker than I did myself.

He only has reverse-raccoon syndrome. I neglected the slather up the round areas under his eyes (it's the part of my anatomy that I call the bags under my eyes!). I know it's not nice to laugh at sunburn, but it looks hilarious!

Labels: , ,

28 Comments:

Blogger Trillian42 said...

How much do I love that you grew actual, real potatoes? That's awesome!

7:18 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Nice harvest! Hey, you should auction that spud on the seller's bay! The beach looks nice, ours gets littered with wall-to-wall people.

7:18 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Nice 'taters!

That white t-shirt Dr. MS's wearing looks exactly like the white t-shirt Hubster's wearing this summer...

7:38 PM  
Blogger roxy =^o^= said...

Tater love going on LOL

I used to work at the Gap in Sea Girt, NJ. How funny!


Glad you had a great weekend. :)

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And a good time was had by all!!! To include all of us that read about your adventures!!! If you can't be with them it is nice to read about their fun!! Cool taters!!! I am impressed with how many of those things came out of that pot!!! Oh! What will next year bring? Love, Mom

8:19 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Man, nice taters. Looks like you all had fun at the beach.

Now, if you're gonna talk about your sunburn and tell us "it's not nice to laugh," you're gonna have to give us a picture--the chance to laugh.

-T.

8:30 PM  
Anonymous kristi and otis said...

Holy tubers! Excellent!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Poor raccon-like Chunkito. Did you slather some moisturizer on his poor widdle eyes?

Lvoe the potatoe experiment. Maybe next year I will try too! We can have a potatoe-along...

9:12 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Way to go with the 'taters! The first year we grew potatoes in a container (one of those plastic storage boxes with lids like people have in their garages), we used compost and harvested about 20 or so potatoes from two plants. I tried it the next year using potting soil and harvested, like, three - potatoes, that is. So far, my harvest this year is much better with the tires and compost, but it was very cool to see how great you did with your "experiment" :).

Sorry to hear about your burn. That's no fun, but isn't a beach day just worth it?? :).

10:30 PM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Sounds like a great time! Congrats on the taters!

7:20 AM  
Anonymous pyewacket said...

Mmmm, Yukon Gold...

I must try that. I haven't killed the basil on my porch yet, so maybe I can pull it off.

Gorgeous beach! I love watching dads and kids make sand castles.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

That's a lot of potatoes for one plant! Cool!

7:58 AM  
Blogger The Fluffy Ewe said...

I'd def call that a sucessful tater experiment. :)

Oh I recall getting my eyelids sunburned. Cucmber slices were marvelous to help with the pain, if you can get him to sit still long enough.

Sounds like a marvelous weekend! Bettern than what I did all weekend, clean!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

great job on the potatoes! Definitely save those little guys, those are your "seed potatoes." They are the last ones that the plant modifies and they're exactly what they sound like. Just keep them somewhere cool and dry and each one will make a new plant and about the same number of potatoes next year! Yum!

8:14 AM  
Anonymous bufanditas said...

Fresh potatoes are simply the best. Next year's crop sounds like it will be even better.

Ahh, the beach. What a great place to spend any summer day. Unless of course they are Texas beaches, 'cause they suck down here.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Yay on the potatos experiment! How are your tomatoes coming along? We have harvested a few f ours - I'm having my doubts about the peppers, though.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Love the potatoes. Sometimes we get tomatoes that look like they have noses.

Owen looks for images of the Virgin Mary in everything. He keeps hoping for the next big Ebay item.

Looks like a great time at the beach. Any problems with jellyfish? I spent the summer of 1980 in Stone Harbor NJ and the jellyfish made the beach unusable by early August.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Congrats on the potatoes!!! They are awesome. Definately keep the small ones for next year - that's what they are for. They are call "seed" potatoes. I may have to give that a try next year.

Off to check on my 'maters.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Holy cow that's alot of taters! I think you were a farmer in a former life.

Great day at the beach - that's one thing the east coast has going for it.

9:35 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Looks like you guys had a great day a the beach. I think that is always fun.

Nice potato harvest you got there! Very cool indeed. Hope they taste as good as they look.

10:26 AM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

Quick! Sell the Tricky Dick tater on eBay!

All these "nice 'taters" posts makes me think you showed your rack. Hey -- there's an idea. I showed off my burned rack a few weeks ago -- why not show off yours?

10:57 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I am so trying this next year. I love that one can grow potatoes in a pot.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Wooot! Urban Potato Sucess!

I can't wait to harvest mine, its the first year I've grown potatoes too, and man, I'm excited.

Beach day looks like it was fun!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Excellent harvest! Wow, they're so shiny and purty! Were they yummy? Hey, keep a garden notebook. You'd be surprised at the details you won't remember for next year's planting. Write it all down and keep it with the garden stuff, like those marble sized spuds.

Oh, now I loved the Jersey shore. When we lived there, we spend a lot of time at Cape May. I think Chunky has grown in height, hasn't he? He no longer looks babyish to me, he looks like a big boy. Those pics are great. What a beautiful weekend!

1:54 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Wow! If you had asked, I would have said you couldn't grow taters in a pot. Cool!

2:17 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Those are some nice potatoes! Go you! Hope you aren't too burned..

2:39 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Taters! Hmmm...I have a pot and dirt...Maybe I'll have to plant taters.

I'm glad you enjoyed the shore...we hit Long Beach yesterday. It was wonderful to sit and knit and watch the boys play.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Gambolin' Man said...

I think I've got the world's MVP - most valuable potato...only, unfortunately, just a picture, since it was stolen a few years ago in a locked box I had my very own "Dick-Tater" in....if you want to see a picture, let me know. It's a heck of a potato I had that grew only 4 shoots - one little eye nubbin, one unicorn horn, and two - yes two! - gnarled twisty horns of satan. So, it was truly the DEVIL DICK-TATER!

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home