Monday, August 20, 2007

Веселое Рождество!

Which means "Merry Christmas" in Russian, if Babelfish can be trusted. Ha ha!

Christmas (or your winter holiday of choice should you be celebrating it in the Northern Hemisphere--summer holiday of choice for those down below the Equator) is right around the freaking corner.

Maybe it's me jumping the gun because it didn't break 70 degrees today, but I can't wait for snow and Christmas!!!

But where am I going with this? I was cleaning out my bookmarks and came upon an online yarn store that distributes yarn spun by a Russian mill.

Talk about a great price! Check out what I scored:

100_4114

Mmm..the ball on top is 100% alpaca (208 yds for $4.55), the two light blue balls are 50% "goat down"/50% wool (246 yds for $4.75--and don't let the word "goat down" make you think its rough--it's soft!) and the balls of dark blue and black are both 50% angora/50% wool (328 yds for $4.95).

I've decided to make a pair of lacy scarves for Chunky's teachers for Christmas out of the dark blue and black angora. As corny as it sounds, and keep in mind I had the plan to make them lacy scarves already, they're both Russian immigrants so finding this yarn was just too perfect!

Now I just need to find two lace scarf patterns. And yes, I checked The Place, and was disappointed to find most of their patterns were from books. I'll probably just pull something outta my butt. It's a lace scarf, not rocket science.

The two light blue "goat down" balls will become a Wisp for yours truly.

I originally bought the brown alpaca to make Dr. Mad Scientist a winter hat for when he's walking home from the train station at midnight and 1:00 a.m. this winter, but it's a really fine yarn. The needle size recommended was US 5-7. I interpreted that to mean it would be at least sport weight. But it's pretty much fingering weight. No worries, it's still a beautiful ball of chocolatey brown alpaca goodness.

I'm very hesitant to share where I bought this stuff. Maybe some of you know. But judging by how many other people at The Place have yarn from this company, I don't think many people know.

It's kind of a small-time website. But very good--I ordered this yarn on Friday. It came TODAY. I did upgrade to the two day shipping...but do you know how much it cost to upgrade to the two day shipping? Ten cents!!!!

It's kind of like a secret fishing hole or a recipe for peanut butter cream filled brownie bites---too good to share!

But I'll share.

If you go to a website that is the word for the land used to describe the vegetation found mainly above the treeline, add the word yarn to that and then throw a dot com in there, you'll find my secret yarn fishing hole.

Muhahahahahahaha!

Labels:

30 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Oh, Bez, I'm just too tired to figure that out right now! I'll try later...

6:38 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

I figured it out, but if I announce it now, it's like blurting out the answer to final Jeopardy before everyone's done hearing the question. Very rude at my house. :-)

7:56 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

"goat down" balls

Can't we just shorten it to goat balls? It's so much easier to say (and fun!).

-T.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I found your secret fishin' hole ;). I wish I had a fishin' pole and knew how to fish. I could have fun there. Maybe I'll just go swimming instead ;).

8:26 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I've been to that site before, but always wondered what the yarn would be like.

Is goat down another word for mohair?

You can always get my Mead Scarf pattern off my blog and use that. It's free! (Shameless self-promotion.)

8:27 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Good score!

9:15 PM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Very nice haul! I see my sale yarn luck rubbed off on ya. Which is good cause I need to start knitting from my stash.

Knit and Tonic has a lacy scarf pattern she just put up the other day. It might work for one of the yarns.

I need to go check out Elizabeth's freebie now...

9:16 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

OMG, you said the C word! ;) I can not believe this, I was just looking at Russian knit/crochet magazines at knitting tonight! I tried to steal them, but that didn't happen. I thought it would be easy, like stealing shots from needy children :D) Tonight was comic night.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

huh?

Hmmm I guess I have something to figure out tomorrow while my brain is fresh...it's sufficiently fried from mindless work drudgery that I'm lost for words, hee hee.

I'm guessing the word's etymology is Russian in some sense or form?

Here's where growing up in a desert is a liability...treeline? Trees!?

12:51 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

That yarn looks sooo soft and shiny. I want new yarn, new cheap yarn. Must go google tree stuff...

1:13 AM  
Blogger Lola said...

Doesn't look like tundrayarn.com s the right place. neither is tundrayarns.com. Anyone have the right answer?

7:36 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

The yarn looks like a great find. It will make some beautiful scarves for the teachers.

I"ll have to go sort out the puzzle now...

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Longtime lurker surfacing to throw a bit of light on the alpaca. I've knit with Russian mohair/wool laceweight that was like cotton crochet thread *UNTIL* it was washed and blocked. The bloom on the yarn was amazing. Alpaca will also bloom, as well as being roughly 8 times as warm as wool to begin with. One of the benefits of working with camelid fibers is that you can have an extremely warm garment that is also very light weight. HTH.

blueknitter

9:19 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I am very not clever, so I had to do a few searches to find it. Thanks for the tip!

9:22 AM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

Wow lucky teachers! That yarn looks fab.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hmmm interesting site...the needles look good, anyone try those Bamboo DPNs?

I'm tempted to order some.

And I'm guessing the goat down is cashmere type. Angora goats which make mohair is have hair, cashmere type goats have down.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Must not try to figure out website. Do not need more yarn, whether it is from hubby's homeland or not. No more yarn.

I've just purchased the heere be dragone shawl to make for my mom for Xmas...and the yarn today.

Didn't I say I didn't need anymore yarn? Stop trying to get me to figure it out. Really, no more ya.....ok, I'll go figure it out. :P

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok! I am not even going to try to figure out your riddle. But that is some nice yarn! Those teachers will really like the scarves. Love, Mom

12:53 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Found it, but yikes I'm closing the window now...

1:36 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Nice yarn score! I'm going to avoid searching for the website because I must not buy more yarn. Really. Seriously.

*runs off to Google*

2:46 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I know how you feel about The Place, but did you try the pattern browser? It allows you to specify only free patterns when you're searching - so you could eliminate all the patterns from books at once.

3:03 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Wisp is on my list, too, for me. But suddenly I have winter-holiday knitting to do....

3:24 PM  
Blogger The Fluffy Ewe said...

Score! Eventhough I am too dense to figure out your riddle, my Google-fu is strong and I found your site. Lol

Beautimus yarns, Bezz!

3:27 PM  
Blogger Sssarahevt said...

I would like to brag that I found the site using clever internet searching, and my alpine ecology husband couldn't think of it. Good site Bezzie!

7:38 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

when you pull a lace scarf out your butt, will you film it and post on youtube so I can see...

9:03 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Fab yarn score there!!!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

You are clever ;-)
Those are beautiful yarns. I have a love affair with Russia, good thing I am on a yarn diet or I'd have to reign myself in. How cool you can give the teachers the ball band from home?

9:34 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Great yarn.....Christmas...good heavens. No. I was suppose to work on stuff all year but alas have not. Go figure.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Great score indeed!

I too can hardly wait for winter. I hate hot weather. Oh, hell, I hate lukewarm weather. If there's the slightest chance I'll sweat--and I break a sweat easily, thank you so much DNA from dad--I hate it. Bring on the cold.

And Christmas isn't bad either.

9:11 PM  
Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

I've got a pattern for a drop stitch lace scarf if you'd like it.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home