Friday, August 24, 2007

Der Frawd!

They're done!

Don't ask me when I started 'em, but they're done.

100_4124

Der Frawd socks!!!

Pattern: Der Frawd. "Der Frawd" is "Red Dwarf" spelled backwards. These are total knock offs of Turtlegirl's Red Dwarf sock pattern.

Why a knock off? Because real Red Dwarves are knit toe up. These are knit cuff down. Real Red Dwarves are knit on two circulars. These are knit on DPNs. Real Red Dwarves have ribs on the sides that separate the fish scale (front) pattern from the fish tail (back) pattern. Mine don't.

Yarn: Socks that Rock "Love In Idleness" from the MIA, but still lovely, Cpurl. We suspect she might be being held ransom by a pair of Gangsta Kitties. But as no one I know has received a frogged ear in the mail, I think she's just been wrapped up at work too much to blog.

Needles: US 2

Comments: I've been holding on to this yarn for a long time waiting for just the "right" pattern. When I saw Turtlegirl's pattern, I knew it was just the pattern for this yarn.

I considered learning to do toe ups on two circs for about 2 seconds before I decided to just adapt it to cuff down and dpns (Why fix your style if it ain't broken? That and I didn't want to mess up and hate the socks and yarn!). I decided to omit the side ribs because I was knitting with Socks that Rock yarn. I like to keep a bit of stockinette so I can get a good feel for the prettiness of the colors.

I also continued the back fish tail design all the way down to the base of the heel. Not the smartest idea. I'm sure they'll wear out and hole up. But it was just too sexy looking not to do!

100_4126
Requisite Fat-Ankle-Sock-Shot

I like 'em. Even though they're technically backwards, when I look at them on my feet, I see them the way people are meant to see the pattern from their viewpoint.

And if you're into folklore, thanks to I believe it was Amby, you can read about the creepy little Red Dwarf that haunts Detroit. Yick. Thank god my socks are Der Frawds and won't have a chance of leering rudely at anyone!

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I love heel detail all the way to the bottom! Sexy mamma! They look great.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

Awesome colors. Very nice! :)

8:33 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Lovely!

8:51 AM  
Blogger Amby said...

Hopefully those socks won't bring a natural disaster to the city of Detroit either. ;-) They look great!

9:24 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Hey, heel pr0n! Nicely done! OR should I say enod ylecin!

9:59 AM  
Blogger bradyphrenia said...

when i first saw the picture, i thought you had knit a pair of monkeys. i probably should've known better. they look nice, but i think i'm over the STR love, personally. however, yours knit up much prettier than mine did.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Great Sockage! I love that backwards code. It smart. ;-) Have you ever read a basic code book? Hours of fun making up your own language. I have a font that imitates Leonardo's backward script writing. I use it to confuse and delight, depending on the individual on the receiving end.

Em ngis,
Teragram

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Miss T said...

Beautiful!

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Susan said...

Fantabulous socks!

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the color of those socks!! And did Chunkie take the pic of your back ankles? Love, Mom

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty as always!

Oh, I was the anon. posted about your car wreck BTW. I forgot to sign my name!

Kay

1:04 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Pretty socks! the detail oon the back is really nice! We won't mention how long you had these on the needles. After all, glass houses and all that!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I like the pattern down the heel- it's very cute.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Very pretty, and the back looks really sexy.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Der Frawd, c'est tres belle.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Great socks!!!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

They look fab, especially the heel detail.

11:46 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

OOOhh! Very pretty!

Can't you wear them with clogs or crocks so the sexy heels/backs will show?

12:05 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Are ya sick of me yet? OK, just how many posts did I miss? These are great socks and I'm glad you knit the lace by the heel. It looks nicer and why shouldn't you have a nice view of em too?

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home