Saturday, August 18, 2007

Futbol Americano!

Ok, no knitting. So clicky-click if you're in it just for the knitting. That darn North Start Tam O'Llama is taking forever! Now I know why the only thing I knit on size 2 needles is socks. Oof!! Dedicated are those who knit sweaters on size 2 needles!!

Yesterday was the big pre-season game my boss gave me his season tickets to.

The Minnesota Vikings vs. the NY Jets at the lovely Meadowlands, New Jersey.

As an aside, I heard there's a lawmaker in Trenton (or maybe it's Albany) who wants to create a law about broadcasters being required to put a little disclaimer on the screen every time a New York sportsteam is broadcasted playing in New Jersey. Something to the effect of: "The place you are seeing is not New York! It's New Jersey!" That cracks me up to no avail. Growing up in Alaska, where you struggle to convince the morons you seem to always meet that Alaska is not a separate country and is part of the United States, I can feel New Jersey's pain in feeling kind of overshadowed by The Big Apple.

Anyway, after I picked up Chunky from school, the heavens opened up and it started raining, thundering, and even hailing.

Here's what it looked like from the car window while we were waiting for Dr. Mad Scientist at the train station.

100_4043

Luckily, by the time we hit the Meadowlands, it was just a small drizzle.

100_4049

That picture looked a lot nicer when I took it! What you're looking at is the practice bubble and the stadium behind it. And no, that's not the moon rising--that's just a raindrop on the lense.

We were on the first level, so we didn't have to ride a bajillion escalators up to the nosebleeds.

100_4051

Check out those seats! We were 13 rows away from the front row. Dr. Mad Scientist claims it would have been better had they not been basically in the end zone, but I thought they were pretty damn cool! See what perks going to law school will get you eventually?

We had a $35 stadium dinner and settled in to watch the game.

100_4059

(See Penny! Chunky and Pie have the same shirt! Ha ha!)

The poor Jets struggled terribly, but finally made their first touchdown in the 2nd quarter I believe.

Chunky didn't like the noise from all the cheering.

100_4082

It was a ton of fun!

In true Penny Karma photography form, I had to take a picture of this guy and his son.

100_4073

He was wearing a Viking's jersey and his son was decked out from head to toe in Jets gear. Too damn cute!!!

After the Vikings pretty much sealed the win. We left.

100_4093

The final score was actually Vikings 37, Jets 20.

Since we're not huge Jets fans, this doesn't hurt that much. And we honestly spent a lot of time looking for Vikings #61 Josh Day--a Colorado State alumni--who did a great job warming the bench for the Vikings last night. There was some Michigan State alumni playing first string for the Vikings too, but despite spending more time at MSU, Dr. Mad Scientist loves his undergraduate alma mater more.

It was an incredible experience to go to an NFL game if even a preseason game. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed the crowd of a regular season game to be honest.

Chunky's one lucky kid. I think when I was his age, the closest thing to a major sporting event I ever saw was standing out in the cold to watch the start of the Iditarod. I vaguely have memories of this. But maybe we never did that and I'm just thinking of all the other times I had to stand out in the cold as a kid.

We also got to realize how close to the Meadowlands we live. It took us longer to walk from the stadium to my car than it did to drive home from the stadium to the house last night!




I closed the comments on my post a ways back. It was merely supposed to be my opinion of The Place. I didn't think my original post showed any disrespect towards anyone participating in and loving The Place. But maybe it was disrespectful and I didn't see that, I apologize if you felt that I was defecating in your Captain Crunch. I know I said a ways back that I was putting the subject to bed, and hypocritically I opened my big yap about it. However, when I was waiting in line trying to find out more about The Place and googling it, all I ever saw was one opinion of The Place. This itself speaks volumes of The Place and what it represents to a lot of people. I just wanted to speak up as someone who was on the less-populated, and apparently less vocal (at least that I could find when I was looking for opinions of The Place) side of the coin. I didn't want to stir up any trouble. Hilariously enough, one thing The Place has given me is something never listed as one of its features: the desire to become a more consciencous blogger. I'll work to make my writing a bit clearer in the future.

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

You shouldn't have told us that wasn't a moon-rise! I would have stayed happily misinformed.

Glad you all had fun at the game and the weather wasn't miserable.

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! You know that Chunkie will never forget last night!!! Yes, I think that we did take you to see the start of the Iditarod. You know that your YYB will be very jealous of you all for going to see an NFL game even if it was a preseason. He has been working 12 hours a day and I know that he would have loved to go with you all no matter how tired he was!!! Have a good weekend! Love, Mom

11:47 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Hubster would have traded places with Chunky in a New York millisecond! What a great memory he'll have!

LOL on the $35 stadium dinner. Nothing like paying $10 for a hot dog, huh. ;)

P.S. Hope you're doing well Bezmom!

12:16 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Yeah, I don't like the noise of the crowd at a pro game either. The most shocking thing to me was learning how much berating of players goes on by their own fans. I was naively under the impression that we were all there to 'cheer them on'. Sounds like it was pretty cool over all.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

In-freakin-credible seats. What a blast!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Sorry. Grew up in Europe, don't get football. To me, football is played with a black and white round ball, and my dad would take over the only TV in the house every time it was on. It's the ultimate anti-cartoon.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

My hubbie would have been sooo excited to see an NFL game, pre-season or otherwise. The kid int he Jets outfit was hi-lar-i-ous!

4:37 PM  
Blogger janna said...

What fun! And I'm glad you weren't soaked!

And I totally understand Dr. MS loving his undergrad school more...

4:55 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Aw man! What did I miss now?

5:45 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Never mind! I saw ;)

5:53 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

My first ever real live major-leagued ball game was a baseball game I went to last year. My parents' house is 10 minutes from Dodger stadium, 15 from the Rose Bowl. I do so much more similar outings now than I ever did as a kid...this even includes going to parks that may or may not have the words "amusement", "wild animal" or "water" attached in some way, shape, or form. I know I'm considering myself lucky :).

2:37 AM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

What a fantastic night. Maybe that kid was wearing the helmet to keep out the crowd noise, but I wonder how much he could actually see from behind it! $35 for a stadium meal doesn't sound too bad, apparently Wembley is charging abou £8 ($16) for a burger. But it does all make for the occasion.

6:20 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

I thought about you when the skies opened up on the way home. When I was watching the game they kept showing all families and kids in the audience. I was hoping they would have shown the Chunkster. I'm glad you had a great night.

My nephews do the same thing with crowd noise. We went to a Rutgers game last year and they shoot off a cannon after every score. Needless to say we had to leave early.

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For more Meadowland (free) fun you can check out the Environmental Center in Lyndhurst.
http://www.meadowlands.state.nj.us/ec/index.cfm

Kathleen

6:16 PM  
Blogger Macoco said...

That first picture of Chunkie is really great! Sounds like you guys had fun :)

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Danielle said...

A $35 stadium dinner? Who are you and what have you done with Bezzie's packed sandwiches?!

The comment about NY vs. NJ reminds me of a local singer who once made a similar observation to his email list-- about Providence and NH marketing their airports as just a stone's throw from Boston, as if you could stand on your tiptoes from Providence and JUST see the Prudential Bldg. Which, obviously, you CAN'T.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

What a fun time for you guys!!

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home