Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Girls Gone Wild!

Ok, not the kind you're probably thinking of, but finally the tide of baby boys is turning and I’ve got some baby girls coming down the pipeline I can knit for!

First up, a coworker of mine is expecting her first December 1. I’m sort of hoping she goes early. That’s only because I have a soft spot for late-November babies.

Apparently she's having a very modest little girl because she finally figured out it was a girl late last week. I immediately I cast on this little number this weekend:

100_4175

Can't tell what it is? I'm trying to knock off this beautiful baby jumper that Jennifer recently knit.

Oh geeze, I’m even knitting it out of the same color! What can I say? It’s a stunning baby dress!

I think mine needs to be bigger though. It’s been a while since I’ve spent a lot of time around a newborn!

Second, an old coworker of mine in Lansing emailed me to let me know that her daughter figured out the sex of what she was having—another girl!
I’ve only met her daughter a few times and we’ve hung out at work functions. I don’t really know her as well as I know her mom. That’s a good enough excuse to knit her something though, right?

I’m going to have to brainstorm something kooky to knit that little girl. Mom and Grandma will appreciate a nice weird handmade baby gift!!

Thanks for your kind words, tips and links from yesterday. Many of you offered to donate the September KAYE prize--but don't worry about it. When I unveil it next month, I'll give you the story behind the yarn. One thing I vowed when I started this contest in January, was that no matter how tight things got--the prize was not something I would scrimp on! Besides, it still allows me to shop for yarn without actually keeping it. I get to enjoy buying stuff I normally wouldn't buy for myself guilt free!

My accountant is off getting his kids back to various Michigan universities for the fall but will examine our IRS notice more when he gets back tomorrow.

He says from first glance it appears that the IRS decided to take Dr. Mad Scientist’s 2005 pay and add it to my self employment wages. How the hell they came up with that I have no clue. He was paid under a fellowship (that came down ironically through the US government) where no withholding taxes were taken out. However, trust me, we paid quite a bit on taxes in 2005 to the IRS to compensate for that (which is fine—I expected to and they were entitled to that money).

Last time I checked working for for a University where you had an annoying committee of bosses didn't really qualify one as "self employed."

My self employment wages came out of some freelance work I did for The Man after I quit and some bonuses she paid me for working 34 days straight in July for a big due diligence project.

We’ll see how it turns out. I’m not holding my breath. I’m gearing up for Operation Eating Rice and Beans In The Dark regardless.

Oh and because I've been on a big knock-off binge lately--we received our bill today from the power company. Remember what I was saying about them charging us too much for one month's worth of gas when they "estimate" what we'd use?

A picture ala Magatha:

100_4173

That's right PSE&G jackholes--what you estimated our meter to read on July 25 was actually what it read a month later. At least that's how I interpret it to be.

Thank god all I have to pay this month is $6 to deliver that poorly estimated gas and $30 for electricity. Whew!

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger T. Budnik said...

First!

Oh, I forgot a tip: Project 25. I haven't calculated how much I save on geedunks (candy), but I know it's a lot.

-T.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Now that's inexpensive utility bills! I am waiting with non-anticipation the third summer installment of our 'trip to Tahiti' brought to you by Nevada Power. The gas company wants to install some new fancy gas reading computer on our meter. I don't see why, except perhaps they now have excess cash after the bills we paid when we heated our pool. (We can't anymore, too expensive, not if we want to pay those A/C bills.) I dream of trailers and condos. Really, I do. Low sq footage = low power bills.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Speaking from experience, PSE&G wildly over-estimates bills if you don't/can't have your gas meter read monthly. You can phone in your meter reading (see bill for instructions), which helps a little.

Ditto, there's good reason to hope the whopping tax bill is an IRS error. They do make them and a successful challenge is 'way easier than most people think. Good luck!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Yey possible IRS FUBAR!

The fact that you have an accountant that can file things in for you is super helpful. Mine was great for interceding between the state of Hawai'i and poor, unemployed, newly divorced me. I will never use anyone else!

8:15 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Gotta love PSE&G. I love the idea of doing a blue dress for a newborn baby girl. I think girls should have a choice. Pink is great (my favorite) but baby girls should wear all colors! I made a baby blanket that was striped with neon colors (very acrylic because the recipient is a very low maintenance kind of woman and wanted to throw it in the washer and dryer often) and it was beautiful and still managed to be soft. I just loved working with the colors.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

whew! man, when it rains, it muthaf%@en pours! our cars keep taking turns breaking at my house... good luck!

9:22 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

No gas? Wow. That's pretty awesome. I don't run on gas here so I don't really have an idea as to how much it would run me if I did. But I will certainly be trying to contain my energy uses. Being on the 2nd floor kinda sucks though. As much as I don't want to use my AC, all that heat rising up to me is killing me! We had several 100+ degree days in the past few weeks. I did not like my last bill. eep!

10:07 PM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

That is great to have a month of some cheap utilities! I hope it helps and I hope the IRS is wrong!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

At least your second year in the same apartment will more accurately reflect your actual usage. That is, if you don't manage to get on monthly meter reading.

I hope there's a big IRS snafu and they let you keep your money.

10:33 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

That baby dress is going to be adorable!

My gas bill last month was about $30 but I think it's because I don't cook.

My AC bill, on the other hand....

12:43 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I'll echo others on the AC thing - I'm afraid of what my bill will be this month - and happy that it will be cooler this weekend and we can turn the AC off!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

oh jeez. Bad enough governments do "creative accounting" with their own books. But to do it with yours! Argggghhh!

10:40 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

That's a cute baby dress! I like the ribbon detail.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that in that in all of their infinite wisdom the IRS made a mistake.

10:40 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

That baby dress will be too cute! Love that it's in blue, too. Ooo, double use of too, must find a thesaurus. Or have more coffee before posting.

I envy your $30 gas bill. If Hubster didn't keep trying to sneak the a/c down to arctic temps, maybe we could save some dough on our electric bill, too!

10:41 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I mean electric bill. See what I mean about the coffee?

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the Baby dress finished. Hang in there with the IRS. We were audited in '89 and they said we owed the some 200$ I went to my records and I found where we did an amended form before the Apr 15th deadline and they even cashed our check for that amount before the Apr 15th deadline. When I called them I got the run around to how the person who signed the letter auditing us didn't do the review of our records they just signed the letter. They told us we were off the hook....I told them I wanted something in writing stating that we had paid and on time and that the audit was closed. ALWAYS GET IT IN WRITING FROM THE GOVERNMENT!!!! Love, Mom

11:02 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

I hope everything works out with the IRS! Your spot is still open (and likely to stay that way; we're just going to fill your spot with fiber ;))!

1:34 PM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

That dress is beautiful - what a turn around - lots of girls! Not sure what to say about the IRS thing, just I hope it gets sorted as quickly and as best as possible (((hugs)))

2:28 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Love that dress! It is so fun to knit for girls. Great blue, too.

Keeping my fingers crossed you won't owe the IRS afterall, sounds like their mistake.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Utilities suck. I started hanging my laundry outside cause the dryer broke and I am being cheap but it makes a difference and even when I finally get it fixed I will probably continue to hang it.

I hope the tax thing is an error ~fingers crossed~

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home