Thursday, August 23, 2007

Muffinhead

I am such a muffinhead.

100_4122
Dear Springs: Please stop sleeping on Mommy's chest at night, you're keeping her from getting her beauty sleep. Look at those dark circles under her eyes!

But not because of this picture…

Tuesday it was raining pretty hard, and I became a true New Jersey driver.

I nicked a guy making a right turn. In true Jersey fashion*, I edged left to go around him as he was halfway complete in making the turn. And I got him.

It wasn’t a major accident. There’s a scratch on my car but it’s not as bad as the scratch on my back bumper some jackass in San Antonio at Sam’s Club left. He ended up with a small dinner plate sized dent on his back bumper.

This is my first time ever hitting anyone—so I wasn’t 100% sure what to do. I met him in the road and suggested maybe we were to call the police.

When the word “police” left my lips, the driver became extremely agitated and explained in broken English that he didn’t have the registration on the car, all he had was his license. He told me that he would take the car to a body shop and have me pay for the repairs.

Hm, yeah, when he suggested that—it was my turn to get agitated. I don’t pay $583 every six months to insure a couple of cars to be paying for minor repairs out of pocket. Isn’t that the POINT of insurance??? There’s no mother freaking way I was going to go with that idea.

I told him I was going to call my insurance company. I ducked back into my car (it was still pouring rain) and called them. They walked me thru what needed to be done and I gave Mr. F. Focus the claim number, my insurance company name, the phone number he needed to call, my phone number, and my name.

It took about 10 minutes for me to explain to him which phone number on the slip of paper I gave him was the one to call to get his car fixed—he kept thinking he had to call the claim number that I had written down.

I noticed this wasn’t the first dent on his car either—his front bumper looked like it had been repaired. It was sanded in some spots like someone had hammered out some dents or something.

Now here’s the part where I’m a muffinhead (aside from the original act of actually hitting him): all I got was his name.

However, when I was on the phone with “Craig” at the insurance company, he assured me they really didn’t need that info. However “Donna” who called me this morning, was politely miffed (she was a good sport about it, I get the feeling I’m not the only muffinhead she deals with) that I didn’t get more information from Mr. F. Focus.

Given the language problems I was having with Mr. F. Focus merely trying to explain that he was not to phone the claim number but the phone number I wrote down, I’m honestly not sure I would have gotten much more information out of him. Add in the fact that I don’t think he was quite on the up and up with the mere fact of even being able to drive the car given his reaction when I mentioned the po-po.

His daughter called me today and left a voicemail for me looking for my policy number. I don't think Mr. F. Focus understood what I explained to him. Oh well. I've got her number now.

Lucky for me, the cell phone message she left sucked butt in the quality department and I couldn't understand what her name was. When I called her back she's got one of those "You've reached (the phone number, not the name of the person who has the phone number)" voicemail messages.

Grr.

However, it was a pretty minor accident. I've got $15K coverage on hitting other people's cars. I should be OK.

Of course my rates will probably go up.

Ah well, there are starving kitty cats in Iraq (at least that's what I tell Squeaky and Springs when they won't eat the crunchkas they spill on the floor before begging me to feed them). My life could be worse.

On the knitting front, the progress on the North Star Tam O’Llama is still going slow.

I can knit about two to three rounds per one episode of Buffy. I’m normally not this slow of a knitter, but I’m having to look at the chart for every other round and I’m such a tight knitter that the k2tog tbl are really slowing me down. I think purling is faster than knitting two stitches together through the back loop.

I’ve tried to loosen my stitches on the knit rounds, but I invariably forget to and go back to knitting really tight. This makes stabbing the stitches through the back loop a pain.

About six rows before the chart ended, I ran out of Sarah's llamaspun. I was hoping that I could have at least ended the chart before having to use my ebay llama.

Yesterday I finished the charted lace pattern using the ebay llama and I don't think it looks half bad.

100_4121

I can’t wait to this to be done! I want to cast on a lacy scarf but can’t until this is done!!!

But maybe I can--I finished the GirlTurtle's Der Frawd socks this morning. I might replace my normal lunch knitting of socks with lacy scarf knitting.

Der Frawd pictures will be coming tomorrow.

*I'm not getting in a pissing contest with anyone about how your state's drivers are worse. I'm willing to bet your state has shitty unpredictable weather too, right? I'll bet your state's weather motto is "Don't like the weather? Wait 15 minutes!" Ha ha, that was soooo funny the fifth state I heard it used in.

I'm just going off of my own limited experiences that in the five out of fifty states I've had an address in, New Jersey drivers are by far the worst. They take stupid chances, they honk for no apparent reason, and are just generally jackasses behind the wheel. Now that's not to say all New Jersey drivers are bad, just the ones on my commute--well except for that green-blue minivan that drives down Claremont Avenue in Montclair and turns on Midland Avenue around 5:30ish everyday. That person has one of those K2Tog magnets on their bumper. They're automatically a cool person.

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Blogger T. Budnik said...

First!

I guess it's better to hit someone who doesn't want to call the police than hit an attorney. Haha!

Nice hat. And, are there really starving kitties in Iraq?

-T.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Stariel said...

I'm thinking the whole unnecessary honking while driving erratically thing is something that's pretty common on the east coast. Mostly because when I complain about Boston drivers (my previous experience being with Seattle drivers) they try to tell me that NYC is worse. ;)

6:38 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I've driven in many states, in NYC, in northern NJ, in Boston, in Chicago. I find there are different ways of being a crappy driver. In Ithaca, there were a lot of new drivers (many newly arrived grad students from countries in which people don't generally drive). In Madison, people are just really aggressive. Chicago drivers seem courteous in comparison. In Manhattan, it seems one rarely gets going fast enough to have traffic issues. I definitely remember some scary times in northern NJ, on a very narrow divided highway, with very short entrance ramps. People had great faith in their brakes. So, yeah, I'll go with the Jersey drivers are pretty scary assertion.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I never wanted to throw in the car keys so much as when I was driving in your neighborhood of New Jersey. I'm with you they are the worst I've seen. And the drivers in New Orleans are pretty darn bad.

I like the way the tam is coming along! I like the two yarns together, no one will ever know it wasn't planned that way.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

The first accident I was in, I got the other driver's VIN but not their plate number. Everyone else thought it was hilariously funny.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Nothin' like being "baptized" by your state. In Hawai'i I never got into any car accidents...because I had no car and didn't drive. But a car almost did me in on the one stretch of road that had a bicycle lane...

I hope it all works out in the end...car, tam, rain, et. al. :).

9:04 PM  
Blogger janna said...

So far, Iowa drivers are very polite. And they don't think that turning on your turn signal is a challenge of some sort, like they do in Texas.

Harley must know about the starving kitties, because she's real good at cleaning her plate! ;-)

9:27 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

We don't really have crappy drivers (at least not up my way)...we just drive very fast. Now, don't get me started on the drivers to the north of us. Grr...

Super cute hat!!

9:39 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yikes! Well glad no one got hurt! Tam is looking good! :)

10:25 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Crap about the accident! But good call on going straight for your insurance. You might have ended up paying to pimp his ride!

On a happier note, the tam is looking good!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Krysstyllanthrox said...

I'll bet your state's weather motto is "Don't like the weather? Wait 15 minutes!" Ha ha, that was soooo funny the fifth state I heard it used in.

I've visited over 35 states, mostly for work. I've heard that saying in every.single.damn.state. Someone finally said it one to many times to me here in OK and I went off on them. Also, bad drivers are everywhere. Though driving through L.A. wasn't as bad as it is rumored to be.

7:06 AM  
Blogger LilKnitter said...

Car accidents, no matter how minor, do suck. I'm glad the damage was negligible.

Love the tam! The switch to the new yarn is cool! And yes, do join the lacy-scarf-knitting-club (ok, there's no "club" per se...)!

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just glad no one got hurt. I was in an accident a little over a year ago. It was my fault all the way. I rear ended a vehicle going prolly 5 - 10 miles per hour. A very SLOW rear end! This was the first accident I had ever caused too, and here is all I had to pay: $29.00 in court fees. Because it was my 1st, they waived all other fees, and my insurance did not go up one penny. So I hope it works out that well for you too! Additionally, it is not even on my record because I was told if I went an entire year w/o another accident, all is forgiven. Weee!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

You're absolutely correct about Jersey drivers. I wish I knew why......

Drivers in Pittsburgh are generally very polite, but be careful going through tunnels. They s-l-o-w down. As if they're not sure where they're going to come out. Weird. (Of course the whole place is tunnels and bridges.)

Here, we have drivers from all over the world....so it's really a crap shoot. Most of the locals fall asleep (apparently) at stop lights.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

Glad you're okay - although accidents just suck in general. I was rear-ended when I was 19 because the guy behind me wasn't paying attention as I down-shifted from 4th, to 3rd, to 2nd, to 1st....yeah a real quick stop so I could stop for a pedestrian in the crosswalk. The guy got out and yelled at me and told me that you NEVER EVER stop for someone in the crosswalk. I was shocked. But thank god he taught me that valuable lesson.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Sorry to hear about your accident, but your knitting looks lovely :).

Good luck with the insurance and claims. I had a hit and run driver smash into my car in the grocery store parking lot a few years ago. At first I agreed to allow him to settle it without involving any outside "entities", but when he balked at ALL of the estimates I had gotten, saying they were all too high, I finally said, to heck with it, and called my insurance company, which I should have done in the first place. Let them deal with it. That's why I pay premiums!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Yikes! Sorry to hear about the accident. I hate insurance companies - I very mildly rear-ended someone 2 years ago - to the tune of $85 in damages but because I was a good girl and contacted my insurance company, I am still paying an extra amount on my car insurance payments.

11:18 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

I'm sure the guy didn't have a licence or insurance to go along with the registration he doesn't have. That's a big problem in NJ. And we have our share of crappy drivers, just like everyone does.

The Tam O'Lamma (as I read it) is comming out really purttttyyyy!

What lace pattern did you settle on?

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok! I am a little late but glad that everthing is OK there. A little more in insurance is a small price to pay. Your Tam is looking good. Love, Mom

12:20 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

What is this "can't cast on lacy scarf until done with tam" business? What a strange custom!

Hah!

Glad you weren't hurt in fender bender. Gack, I have some strong opinions about who and how gets a license to drive in this country that I'd be better off keeping to myself. :-)

6:49 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Sorry about the accident. It happens, and it always sucks, for all parties.

You crack me up about him wanting to call the claim number - now you know what it's like for me to teach English/literacy to my student. We take so much for granted!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Sorry about the accident. I am dying at the fact he thought you'd like to pay for the repairs out of pocket....what a nut LOL

Reminds me of one of our neighbours. A tree from our yard fell into hers in a wind storm. She felt we should pay her $500 deductable. She had damage to her back door and pool. She thought since I had a husband I could do this....um no having a husband does not make me richer...probably poorer in fact and you can bite me.

I think she found God or something cause she is really nice now. Kinda strange.

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home