Saturday, August 25, 2007

North Star Tam O'Llama

I stayed up late last night and this morning finished the North Start Tam O'Llama.

Keep in mind these modeled shots show it unblocked.

100_4127

100_4128

100_4129

It kind of looks like a giant knitted uni-scrotum keeping my head warm.

Here's a better picture of the back of the NS Tam O'Llama where you can see the "North Star" as I'm blocking it on a dinner plate.

100_4130

It's still kind of hard to see. As are all the little lace north stars on the sides of the tam.

100_4133

Can't really see 'em can ya? I'm not sure how I'd block the sides of this hat without stretching it to the point it would be unwearable though.

Here's the rundown:

Pattern: North Star Tam from Arctic Lace by Donna Druchunas.

Yarn: 90% knitted with 100% handspun llama spun by prize winning spinner Sarah. 10% knitted with some mystery eBay 100% handspun llama I bought two years ago.

Needles: US 2

Comments: Even though I'm not happy with the way the side stars are pretty much unseeable, I feel that this was still the pattern for this special yarn. The pattern was meant to be knit from laceweight yarn, but they also had a picture of the tam knit in a heavier weight yarn, so I went for it.

The only modifications I did was that I did not knit as many rounds between the end of the stars and the K2tog, YO eyelet round at the bottom. I fear if I had knit the 13 rounds the pattern called for, it would have looked even more scrotal that it does now.

It was the first tam I've ever knit and it will probably be the last. Not that it was a pain in the ass to knit, it's more that now that I've knit one, I have verified that I don't like this style of hat.

I think this one will find it's way back to the Homeland where it can make a life for itself in Alaska where it belongs.

You want it Mom?

She looks better in tams than I do. I look like a supreme doofus in a tam.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to hell for modeling an "Alaskan" hat wearing a Don't Mess With Texas t-shirt.

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Inky said...

I dunno, Bezzie, I rather like it on you. But you are right, that yarn looks great in that pattern. I'm knitting the North Start scarf in some brown cashmere for my dad (is it too girlie??) and want to make the Tam for myself in some red fingering weight that I have. good job!!

11:48 AM  
Blogger JRS said...

Nah, you don't look like a doofus. I love the Alaskan tam/Texas t-shirt combo!

12:07 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I think it looks great on you but I bet your mom would love it!!

I was laughing over the shirt....I couldn't see exactly what it said but saw the "Tex" and started giggling :)

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What?!!! Do I want your tam!!!!! Well....YES, YES I do!!! I haven't had a new hat since your sister T made me one when she was in college up in F-town. You know that I will take and use anything that you knit!!! Love, Mom

12:58 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Well, on a chilly day, the first thing I reach for is a scrotum...

Beautiful job! I think it looks great on you, but it sounds like Bezmom will love it!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Okay, I wouldn't necessarily have made the scrotum connection, but it does look darn purty!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Texas/Alaska thing just makes it an American hat!

2:39 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

I think it looks great on you - and you'll want all the Tams you can get when February comes around. - zuma

2:57 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

You totally look cute in your scrotum tam! My mom has a growing collection of knitted stuff that just didn't turn out quite right. Unfortunately she lives in SoCal and doesn't really get a chance to show off my skillz...

Is that a hair tie on your "long horn" hand? It's where I used to carry around my black scrunchie between "bun" moments. :)--on my wrist, that is, not yours :).

5:03 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

You have boy parts on your knitting mind lately.

I like it!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I like it on you.

I've developed lots of little tricks for blocking hats. If you want that nice crisp line that makes a tam, then maybe try a bigger round thing, so that everything gets a little more stretched. Like a pizza pan?

If you want to keep that scrotum look, then you can try to roll a towel into a cylinder and place that inside the damp hat, dinner plate still holding the top out, and see if that works.

7:13 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Gee. I think your mom wants the tam. ;) I wish my mom were that psyched to receive stuff from me. I wish I could CHOSE to give her something rather than her telling me what I'm going to make her next. Sheesh.

I think it turned out great! Tams aren't the easiest hat to pull off style-wise so I totally hear where you're coming from there. But it still looks cute on you!

7:50 PM  
Blogger bradyphrenia said...

i completely agree with you. i think the only people who look good in that style of hat are long locked curly haired beauties with rosy-pink cheeks. the rest of us look like tools. or at least i do. i'm probably just jealous.

it is a really nice hat though.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

I think it looks way better on you than it would on me, but I understand your reservations about tams. They're pretty, they're jaunty, they're OK for some people, gorgeous on a few, and then there's people like me...

It's pretty, though, and I like the star pattern.

5:57 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

In't Mom's brilliant. Mine still uses the dodgy mug tree with wonky arms that I made in woodwork at school. Your tam beats it hands down though. I think it looks pretty good on you actually!

11:48 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

I might have to try knitting a tam. It's lovely.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Lovely tam!! Glad your Mom will get it! It did look good on you, but hey, if you don't like it on you, it would just sit around being decorative! ;)

5:56 PM  
Blogger Bad Amy said...

Did you just offer your mother a uni-scrotum?! Now I need to wipe coffee off my monitor. Thanks Bezzie! ;)

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home