Sunday, August 05, 2007

One Quasi-Local Salsa

Still no knitting. Sorry to bore those who come here for the knitting--just food today.

This salsa accompanied our Saturday supper of chicken quesadillas cooked on the George Foreman Grilled Cheese Maker:

chicken--from Maryland (a somewhat comfortable day's drive)

cheese--shamefully from Washington, but bought in bulk so hey, maybe I'm breaking even on the extra packaging that buying five pounds of cheese 8 oz. by 8 oz. would waste compared to the gas they had to use to haul that five pounds of cheese cross country??

tortillas--using tortillas from the not-so-local-but-at-least-in-the-same-time-zone state of Florida. I ought to make my own tortillas like I used to now that we have a gas range. Cooking tortillas on an electric range always befuddled me.

sour cream--from Nueva York

green onions ("scallions" if you're posh)--10 steps down the stairs from my back door.

lemonade--from PA, 83 miles. More than likely the lemons they used weren't grown in PA, but if they're growing corn in Alaska now--which for a C4 plant and long daylight summer nights is pretty amazing--they might be growing lemons in PA.)

The salsa (more like pico) wasn't too terribly local either, but the bulk of it was:

OLS

I recently heard a news report about how Chinese garlic is edging out Californian garlic because they can mass produce it (wash it and peel it in some cases. Apparently peeling garlic is too much effort for some people--I always thought that was half the fun!) more effectively that Californian garlic farmers. Thus Chinese garlic is cheaper.

Of course my garlic from the grocery store rarely comes with a label. This same news report gave tips for telling the two types apart (Chinese vs. Californian) but I'm not enough of a garlic aficionado to be able to tell the difference.

I'm thinking next year might be the year of the Great Urban Garlic Experiment. Just like potatoes that sprout in storage, so does my garlic after so long. What if I just popped it into a pot?

Or I could just start using the wild garlic that grows wild on the side of the roads here. Mmmm...

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Dame Wendy said...

That salsa looks awesome!

I'm doing the Urban Garlic Experiment!! I credited you with the name in my first entry awhile back. :) It's going beautifully! I have all the entries tagged if you'd like to see. :)

Hope you're having a great weekend!

11:28 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

When they harvest the garlic in Gilroy, you can smell it miles away.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That salsa looks good! So I can come dodwn for dinner? I think that I can have that on my food plan. Love, Mom

12:20 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Now I'm hungry. I love garlic, mostly because we can't have onions on account of the husband's allergies. But garlic is great stuff.

1:07 PM  
Blogger funfairiegirl said...

yummy!

I have been on a quesadilla kick recently. I work from home, so they are super easy to cook up for a quick lunch. That salsa looks heavenly.

I would really like to go to the farmers market more, but justifying the gas to get over there...well, yeah.

As for chinese vs. CA garlic...weird. although I wouldn't be surprised if Chinese garlic somehow had lead paint in it.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Oh yum. I love fresh salsa.

1:13 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Garlic's like, 30 cents a head. How much cheaper does it really need to be?

I personally love the smash method for de-peeling garlic cloves. Good stress reliever, too. ;)

1:27 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

If you were to plant some of your sprouted garlic in a pot in, say, October, and then, wrap the pot and mulch the soil (with leaves, for instance), and leave it on your stoop all winter long, it's likely that you would have some lovely garlic tops to serve all spring and summer, and then, garlic to harvest in the fall :). Garlic likes to be planted in cool weather, which is why I never have garlic, because I haven't gotten used to the idea of planting in October ;).

2:50 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Yum... salsa...

Why isn't your chicken from Delaware? Don't you know we produce most of the country's chicken?

I'm taking the easy way out for dinner... Stouffer's lasagna. I'm just not in the mood.

3:10 PM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Ohhh! I think I'm going to have to have a quesadilla for dinner tomorrow.

Can I borrow a cuppa homemade salsa? ;-)

8:01 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Looks pretty darn mostly local to me. And that salsa looks great! I'm still waiting for an edible red mater.

Wendy's right... garlic is a fall crop, so you don't need to wait until next year to get started!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

You have me wanting salsa!!! Craving it actually.....mmmmmm!!!

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Be careful with the wild garlic. We used to eat the shoots when we played outside in the summer, but Mom warned us that there was something similar but toxic that we might confuse it with if we weren't careful - aha, found it! Ah, that brings back memories.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Think of the gas you would use if you drove to Gilroy for your garlic!

8:20 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Wow, that looks great! I can't wait to hear about your garlic endeavors!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I thinks it's safe to say your readers like to eat too;)
Salsa looks yummy! I can't believe FL is actually good for something on the dinner table!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

I once grew a tiny grapefruit tree from a seed I found sprouted in my breakfast fruit. I once grew an avocado tree too. It's fun to experiment, especially for the Chunk.

I love the play by play socially conscious salsa! Very amusing.
I found out I can get bananas from Cost Rica which fits into my 'North American' diet, but I'm not sure how much oil that saves over buying Ecuadorian bananas. I'll bet they both come on diesel powered boats up the coast to Long Beach CA.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home