Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Sick Days Are For Catching Up

On Saturday Chunky wasn't feeling well. He said he felt like hurling. But he didn't. He took a late afternoon nap and made a recovery.

Obviously Sunday he was feeling better as we hit the beach.

Last night when I was on the phone with my mom, he nonchalantly informed me he wasn't feeling well, asked for the barf/foot soaker bowl, plopped down in front of the tube with his blankey and monkey and vomited. I didn't realize he had until after I hung up with my mom.

I love my kid.

What other little kid is nonplussed by emptying the contents of their stomach?

Given the track record on Saturday, I thought it might be another passing thing.

However, as we were heading out the door to drop Dr. Mad Scientist off at the train station this morning, he went running for the barf bowl and he regurgitated what he could since he hasn't really eaten much since yesterday afternoon.

Can I just say how much I love this new job?

I can rest easy staying at home with my little monkey while a carefully organized group of back-up secretaries at work will take care of my attorneys while I'm out.

What a refreshing change of pace from the days where Chunky would have to come to work with me and I'd have to pray to Jeebus that he wouldn't hurl all over The Man's filing!!! (Although I secretly hoped he would just to get back at her for the fact I'd have to drag my sick baby to work.)

Where am I going with all of this disgusting talk of vomiting five year olds?

The loss of Chunky's stomach contents is your gain!

It's blog catch up day!

First up a knitting update. The North Star Tam O'Llama is finally starting to look like a tam:

100_4012

I'm a tad bit worried about how much yarn I've got left. I'm only on round 7 of 48 rounds total of the band pattern. Then there's the 1" ribbing to finish it.

No worries though. Way back when I was first starting to knit seriously (a whole what, two years ago?) I bought some 100% llamaspun off ebay. Can you believe I actually knit a scarf out of 100% llamaspun and eyelash yarn? And here I said I was getting away from the vomit-topic!

100_4013

It's not nearly as beautiful as Sarah's handspun llama that comprises the body of the tam, but I think the colors will match nicely if I have to use it.

Second up, a couple of reader requests.

Jo wants to know how my tomatoes are doing.

I posted earlier about how they appeared to be coming down with blossom end rot. I cut about three of the worst offenders off my plants, but despite my ghetto-lime tricks of Tums and eggshells...

100_4017

...they're not doing too much better.

100_4014
100_4015

I've got no clue how to fix them.

But tomatoes were kind of an afterthought to the pot garden this year when my special container hybrids didn't arrive in the mail soon enough to plant this year.

Overall, I'm happy. The potatoes were a success and so were the green onions.

100_4018

The green onions were another afterthought and I am definitely planting them next year.

We only ever use one or two green onions at a time in our cooking and it's so easy just walking down the steps to pluck a few instead of buying a bunch of six of them and having them rot in the fridge before we can use them all up.

Before I leave the subject of gardening, Mag suggested I keep a garden notebook for next year.

I'm on your wavelength Mags--check this out.

Earlier this spring I knit my sister T. a little cover for her MP3 player/recorder. In exchange, she sent me a handmade (by her) journal.

100_4026

In true cheapass form, she used a printout of the Wrigley Gum Annual Report she had to print out for some school project to make the pages of the book.

I wasn't sure what I was going to use the book for when I received it in the mail. However once the pot garden started taking off I figured it would be good to keep notes for next year.

Every weekend I write down what's blooming, what's having problems, etc. I've even got my list of "must plants" already mapped out for next year!

Alright, moving on to the last request--Zanti wants to see my rack. In particular my burned rack.

Thankfully no nips were harmed in the frolicking at the beach Sunday, but I did burn my upper chest quite nicely.

100_4019

Yick. That grosses even me out. SPF 50--my ass.

Dr. Mad Scientist made a great point: if this is how burned we got using SPF 50, what would have happened if we didn't use ANY sunblock??? Eeeeeccch, I cringe just to think of it.

Finally, last but not least, I was tagged by the Knottygnome Sara as part of her sweater meme to flash my handknit sweaters.

100_4028

Going clockwise we have first up my Simply Soft Nip Strip Tank knit before I fully understood the concept of gauge.

Next to it is my Bad Penny knit from my beloved TLC Cotton Plus.

Under that is the infamous Tomato also knit from TLC Cotton Plus.

Next to that, before I realized I was twisting my stitches, is my Soleil knit from Sinfonia mercerized cotton.

Finally rounding out the sweaters is my "Cold Shoulder" sweater knit from Simply Soft as well. This was a pattern of my own "design" based on the Corded Yoke Pullover from I believe the winter issue of IK. I believe that pattern is found in the last issue where the format was still, in my opinion, readable.

From this picture I can conclude the following:

1.) I love me some cheap yarn. None of these sweaters cost more than $20 to knit.

2.) Green and purple seem to be favorite colors of mine.

3.) 2007 is the year of the sweater since the three true sweaters (garments with sleeves) in this picture were knit or finished this year.

Now you know I don't tag unless I create the meme myself.

But seriously, flash yer sweaters!

It's mid-August and hot! You know you want to pull those sweaters out of hibernation and fondle them lovingly as you yearn for a crisp fall day or even a bitter winter one where the cold cuts right through you and you can wear them again.

Ok, maybe I'm the only person that pines for a bitter winter day. (I can't wait!)

Labels: , , ,

27 Comments:

Anonymous Melissa said...

I'm stocking up. We should make a ticker: countdown to snow! I've only ever made myself one sweater, I think, although I have a couple of shrugs.

Hope Chunky's feeling better soon.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh crap. a sick kid. I hate to see my kids sick especially with the tummy stuff. They get hungry and they want to eat (or thirsty) and you know that if any bit of anything goes in, it will be right back out and trigger dry heaves and misery. But I'm so glad your bosses are enlightened about the need to take a sick day with your kid.

I burn like that, too, with heavy-duty sunblock. I figure my natural resistance on a sunny day by the ocean is about 3 minutes. So, if I use SPF 50, I might get close to 150 minutes without burning. But more like 35 minutes in the mid-day sun. I hope it heals soon.

9:27 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Hope Chunky is feeling better and that your sunburn is healing.

The Tam is turning out to be great. I think the additional color will work well if you need to use it.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Bummer on sick Chunky, but so good to know jobwise, they're fine. I burn like that too, no matter what I put on..I remember the time I switched shorts and left a wide thigh area exposed..with no sunscreen..bare white skin...yikes!

9:56 AM  
Blogger The Fluffy Ewe said...

Sorry to heal Chunkito is feeling pukey, no fun. Hope he feels better soon.

I love snow so you aren't the only one pining for winter. I have only made two sweaters and those are for the baby. lol Do those count? hehehe

I have to buy new sunscreen every summer or I will get burned if using last summer's sunscreen. The oldest offspring is the same way. Is your sunscreen new? We went to Alabama one year for vacation and I used an SPF45 sunblock and came back with a beautiful tan. :) Oh and if the ol burn is too painful, Advil works wonders to help. HEal up soon!

9:57 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Bummer about the tomatoes. How exactly are you treating them? Did you dissovle the Tums in water, then use that to water the tomatoes, or did you crush them up and leave them on top of the soil (it kind of looks like that from the picture, but those white things could be something else)? Cuz it would probably work better if you did the former rather than the latter. And keep doing it.

Of course, maybe this fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants fix didn't work. That's too bad, because it would have been pretty cool if it did.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Good grief, you do the same as I do with SPF 50, burn! Ha! Isn't it great being ghostly white?

I love your soleil, bad penny and tomato! :)

10:36 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hugs to Chunky, and hope he feels better by the end of the day!

I like the tam, and I definitely agree that the llamaspun would match if needed, good call!

That is the one variable about handspun, finding the right projects for the amounts since you can't go out and buy more.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your tam is looking great! I LOVE your collection of sweaters! Isn't it great to be able to stay with your sick kid and not feel guilty at the work piling up? Hope Chunkie is feeling better. Love, Mom

11:59 AM  
Blogger knitty_kat said...

Do you fertilize your tomatoes? I've done them in pots before and I'm not normally big on fertilizing anything. That said, I've been fertilizing this year every week (or 2) and I haven't had any problems (or rot - knock on wood).

12:06 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Hope Chunky's feeling better! (Am I the only one who sees the humorous irony in his bloggy name and his hurly actions?)

Nice flashes all around! I too am praying for the crisp, cool breeze of fall so I can stop breathing in the refrigerated air of the a/c. And er, exchange it for the gas-heated air of the furnace.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous happypiranha said...

Seconding the comment above - check how old your sunscreen is. We learned the hard way that sunscreen is good for about a year. Now I write the month/year on the sunscreen bottle with a Sharpie.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Kristin: Yarn & Order said...

Hope Chunky feels better soon! And put some Aloe on that sunburn girl. It hurts just to look at.

www.yarnandorder.com

2:28 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Poor lil' Chunky, I hope he gets well soon. Cool garden notebook.

You know what those chest sunburns lead to? Well, I should post a pic of what years of sun did to that part of my body. On second thought, no, no one wants to see that! No substitute for a good cover up.

I am very much looking forward to winter this year and I hate the cold. A bundle of contradictions is a human!

2:45 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Yup, I think you are one of the crazies for wanting winter. But that's okay, we all love you anyway. I read something scary a while ago talking about how sunscreen ingredients might actually be causing other problems, health-wise. Scary eh? Now I'm paralyzed with indecision. To sunbathe? To sweat inside? Argh...

3:55 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I could seriously use a bit of cool air.

Hope Chunky's feeling better, nothing like a sick kid around the house. At least he's well trained in the bucket. What a great new job!

Uh, ouch on that sunburn!I

6:43 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

You're not alone in wanting cold weather! Soon, very soon :) So sorry the little man doesn't feel good, he's got the best nurse in town though!

8:56 PM  
Blogger trek said...

Poor kid - at least when a kid barfs they feel a bit better afterwards. Until the next time, of course.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

So sorry about Chunky. I'm glad the days of dragging him to work with you when he's sick are over.

Thanks for sharing your sweaters. You've been quite productive!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

what a good little chunky you have! i hope he is feeling better... lovin the sweater stash! i have yet to knit anything bigger than a baby sweater, but really really want to knit myself a brown cardi! i'm gonna do it, dammit!

11:55 AM  
Anonymous bufanditas said...

Chunky and my daughter should form their own club called "The Dramaless Barfers". My kid is also very cool when it comes to throwing up. It doesn't phase her a bit and makes it a point to not explode all over the place. Hope Chunky is feeling better soon.

Yikes, that sunburn looks SO painful. I avoid the sun like the plague with and without sunscreen because I hate sunburns and it drains what little energy I have.

Your journal is lovely, and what a better choice than to keep your gardening notes between those beautiful flowers.

11:57 AM  
Blogger bigevilgrape said...

Is it possible that your sun block is expired? The stuff doesn't really last more then a summer or two.

12:53 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Nice journal. Even better tan.

Hope Chunky is feeling better!

-T.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

you are SO not the only one loving winter. Chicago summers are not for me. i don't tolerate heat very well. then again, winter lasts a realllly loooong time here. comparitively. to some places. heh.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

When my oldest daughter was young (she is 24 now) she used to run down the hall to my room to tell me she had to throw up (hitting all the floor and walls on the way) instead of running across the hall to the bathroom. I guess she wanted company. I sympathize as the dread virus has hit our family as well although we have the intestinal distress variety. Buy stock in toilet paper this week!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Macoco said...

Oh man I hope the little guy is feeling better! It sounds like he's being a real champ about it though.

The tam is looking great.

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

sick babies. :( not good. but he's such a good boy for just going about his business so easily.

DUDE! you're a legal secretary???? where do ya work??

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home