Thursday, August 09, 2007

Tam O'Shanter

Is that the full name when you say you're wearing (or knitting) a tam?

Or are there other things a tam can be of?

Tam O'New Jersey?

Tam O'Menoggin?

When I hear "tam o'shanter" I immediately picture the cheesy little illustration that was in our big red Websters Dictionary growing up. Same thing when I hear anyone talking about a "van dyke" in terms of facial hair.

Where the hell am I going with this?

Why, I'm leading up to telling you that I finished the crown on the North Star Tam O'Llama, of course!

100_3961

I freaking love this yarn. The colors are amazing. Sometimes they look gray. Sometimes they look green. Sometimes they look brown.

100_3963

There's some excellent marley action going on too.

Not much planned for this weekend. We might attempt the Jersey Shore again--as long as the weather cooperates.

Next weekend we've got covered. Check this out:

100_3964

My cool ass boss (not the person I mentioned last week's post--I was just filling in for his secretary) remembered that I had offhandedly mentioned that Dr. Mad Scientist was a football nut.

Apparently he has season tickets for the Jets and couldn't use the tickets to the August 17 pre-season game they have against the Minnesota Vikings and asked if I'd like them.

Now, we're not aligned with any NFL team, but Dr. Mad Scientist bleeds green and gold for his alma mater's college football team: Colorado State University. And it just so happens that CSU's MVP last season is a rookie for the Vikings. Since it's a preseason game--we may actually see him get to play.

One of the crappiest parts of living on the east coast is that CSU never plays any east coast teams. We came this close to watching them play University of Miami-Ohio when we lived in Michigan, but the schools dropped that game. Then when we moved to Texas, we were psyched because we would be able to watch them play Texas Christian University in Fort Worth. And well, y'all know how that situation turned out! So we will take what we can get in the CSU football department!!!

Being small town peeps, this is like one of the coolest things that could ever happen to us. A real NFL game! And the Jets, while not the best team, sure aren't the Lions by any stretch of the imagination (sorry Lions fans!)

Not to mention you should have seen how big Chunky's eyes got when I told him we were going to a real football game!

There is no way The Man would have ever done anything so cool for me. And I've only worked for this guy for three months!

Finally, because I can't leave you hanging--Mom's doing well and adapting well to her uniboobutee* status. Rest in Peace Lefty. Alas, we knew you well. (Ok, that sounds perverse--but I was breastfed as an infant!)

*uniboobutee (yoon-ee-boob-you-tee): adjective; used to describe someone having had one boob surgically removed; not to be confused with uniboob, the state that occurs when two breasts are smashed into one large mass by a bra or other fastening device.

Labels: , ,

25 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

I'm no diehard NFL fan, but man would I love to go to a real-live game. Have fun!

OK, now I have to go back to your blog to see what yarn that is. I love it, especially with your description.

5:54 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Cool - Mood Tam!

Isn't it great when you get a boss who actually appreciates his/her employees? You guys are going to have so much fun at the game!

Glad Mom and Righty are doing well!

7:25 PM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Pre-season games are so much more family oriented and less, ahhh, rowdy then regular season. You'll have a blast!!!! Besides, Jets games are fun cause of Fireman Ed.

I'll look for you on TV... you'll be wearing green right? heh

7:50 PM  
Blogger Calling on Kahlo said...

Sports games are great! I have been to football, hockey, and basketball. And I love baseball but alas no game.

Have a great time! Its a wonderful experience.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Give my best to your mom.

Have a blast at the game! I hope it isn't too hot and miserable.

For some reason, I think beret sounds so much more je ne sais quois than Tam O'Shanter. But a tam by any other name wouldn't look as cool as yours.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Sooo happy to hear Mom is doing well!

Loving the tam there! Cool about going to the football game too!

11:20 PM  
Blogger roxy =^o^= said...

Ha! Have a beer and a pretzel for me on the 17th cos it's my berfday wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:)

12:18 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

That's so nice that he gave you those tickets! That sounds like a fun family event for you! I'm glad mom is doing well! The tam looks awesome. I can't wait to see it complete!

6:07 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

*Raises a mug of coffee to Lefty - RIP*

That tam is so gorgeous. Weezalana has it right - it's a mood tam for sure. Plus it's got great juju having been spun by Sarah. That's some lucky yarn.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Did you make up that word all by yourself? Fare the well, Lefty.

Have fun at the football game? Here at work we occasionally get to go to Phillies games and they are always lots of fun.

8:23 AM  
Blogger The Fluffy Ewe said...

Don't let the door hit you in the backside, Lefty!!! lol

I'm a football girl myself. Kudos to the bossman for sharing the wealth, uber cool. Have fun! It's gonna be Roxy's b-day and my day after b-day so party up for me!

Love the tam! I have been thinking of casting on for one too. Lol

9:28 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

While I'll miss Lefty, may she rest in pieces, it just really gives Righty the chance to shine with the spotlight all to herself, don't you think? Now there won't be any jealousy issues. "I'm perkier! No, I'M perkier! Your nipple is weird and you have three creepy hairs! Yeah, well you have a mole and some stretchmarks!"

(I don't know if your mom's jugs fight or not. I know mine do. I have to (lift and) separate them all the time.)

9:41 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Wow, how I love free tickets! (I'm still hoping for free tics to the Elton John show at Caesar's. I'm not paying $200+ for a guy I saw in 1975 for $7.50.)
I've only been to one professional sports game in my life (Los Angeles Kings NHL hockey) and it was insane!
Hooray for Chunky! So fun, he'll proabably never forget it.

Hey, nice Tam O'Llama.

Happy Healing to BezMom!

10:22 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Glad to hear your mom is doing well, really. OK, now you know you picked the right place to work! That's alright! Love how your tam is coming along, there was a little plaza named Tam O'Shanter, so that's what I'll always think of when I see the name.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

sounds fun! i had a friend in chicago that worked at a law office, and she always used their season tickets to our amusement! lots of cubs games at wrigley field! have fun!

12:08 PM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Kick booty about the NFL game! Have fun!

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! That is one cool Tam O'Shanter!! On your last post of it I thought that it was grey, but now it does looks green. I love things that do that (change colors in different lights). Boy! Are your boys going to have fun this weekend!!! Thank you for everyones thoughts and wishes!! I glad that noone can smell!!! I haven't been able to take a shower all week!!! Just been sponge-bathing!! But I get one today!!! Look out water heater!!! I am going to use up all that water I saved not taking a shower!!! Look out skin you are going to be pruney!!! Love, Mom

1:02 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

First of all, glad to here Mama B is doing well.

Second of all, that Tam is looking good!

and finally, have a great time at the Game! go Vikings.

(The only time I've been to a professional football game was on someone else's dime )

1:05 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oooh, Tam O'Llama is looking great, I'm glad you love the yarn, I sent it too a good home!

Glad mom is doing better.

Have fun at the game!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Kristin: Yarn & Order said...

I loooove the Tam! You'll have to model it for us.

Have fun at the game!

www.yarnandorder.com

3:17 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Tam o'llama llama, bobama bama llama! Couldn't resist! My hubby would be sooo jealous. He loves football. He was all excited on sunday becasue there was some football game on. I don't know anything about it, but anyway...I am babbling aren't I? I'll stop now. kbye

7:03 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Love the tam... it's really pretty.

12:56 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

If I didn't like a total moron wearing tams, I'd want that one.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Glad your mother is adjusting to her new body well, she sounds like a brave woman.

I like the tam, but boy it looks hot to be knitting right now.

Have fun at the football game, my husband's an LSU nut, we're sure to go to a few games this season, it's fun! (Maybe we'll even go see the Saints play.)

6:23 AM  
Blogger LilKnitter said...

So glad your mum is doing well!!

The Man is a Seahawks NUT. One of my great dreams is to take him to a game someday. Particularly a playoff game. It would be wicked. He would crown me "Best Wife Ever". It would be cooler than when I was in the half-time show for the Ottawa Renegades (CFL team, not defunct).

The tam is stunning. Almost makes one wish for winter!

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home