Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Tomatoes!!!

Ok, just one tomater.

Modeled here by the lovely Rosie the monkey in a picture taken by Chunky.

100_4172

Chunky and my mom exchange pictures in the mail of their stuffed monkeys doing weird things. After her surgery he received a packet of pictures of mom’s stuffed monkey playing nurse. Too damn funny!

I picked this tomato off the vine when it was more orange as opposed to red. I figure it will redden up a bit more after picking. I didn’t want to leave it on there much longer in fear it would catch the blossom end rot that plagues my tomatoes.

Many of the older tomatoes on my plants look like this.

100_4179

Soon it will be time to put the pot garden to bed.

Here’s a quick recap of what I’ve learned my first year of honest pot gardening:

* Remember to pull out the drain pluggers in your pots. If you don’t, your nasturtiums will catch mold and start attracting flies.

* Store-bought potatoes CAN be planted!

* The marigolds you get for mother’s day, no matter how funky and worm-eaten, will still bloom in August.

100_4182

* If you put an empty pot where you can’t seem to get any seed to take next to the aforementioned mother’s day marigold—you’ll get another marigold plant.

100_4183

* Green onions/scallions are easy to grow in a shallow pot.

* Tomatoes should only be planted one plant to a pot.

* Sunflowers can bloom in teeny pots.

* Calcium carbonate (lime) can be purchased at the Dollar Store in the form of generic antacids.

Once September is over and I “turn” my pots and store them for the winter, I want to try my hand at small-space composting. I’ve found a couple of decent articles online on how to build a teeny compost bin. Once we get some good leaf matter going on in the front yard I’ll be able to start a good base for my compost.

I’m also hoping that if I can compost throughout the winter, I’ll have some decent stuff to mix in with my soil next season. My white whale next summer will be beating BER!!!

In other non-knitting news, we have a celebrity living with us:

Mouse Slayer

You can tell the weather is getting cooler. As soon as dusk starts to fall Squeaky starts patrol in front of the kitchen cabinets. The good news is is that it appears the mice are no longer living in our stove but have moved the space where the cupboard nearly reaches the wall. I’m sure at one time it may have touched the wall, but it’s an old house and this upstairs was converted to be rented out.

Squeaky’s up to two kills in two weeks. After we sort through this IRS mess, I’ll have to buy some more snappy traps. I had five kills last winter. Squeaky had one. She’s gaining on me!

Springs is kind of like Squeaky’s Xander. He’s well intentioned, but he doesn’t have the skills to hurt a mouse.

100_4178

Squeaky has claws and no problems seizing the mouse in her mouth.

100_4176
Can you see the tail coming out of one side of her mouth?

Springs is declawed in front and is just too prissy to bite the mouse. He just delicately bats it around. But he's still my sweet little meatykins*!!!


*C’mon, you know you have goofy names for your pets too!

Labels: ,

25 Comments:

Blogger Monica said...

I love the Buffy reference, we are about to hit Season 5.

Ok, cute kitty names include: smushy, stinky, the bean, killer cat, puffy, pretty boy, etc.

We got names!

6:39 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Go Squeaky! Have you seen www.whatjeffkilled.com - Jeff is absolutely a chosen one!

I tried to teach Sally (aka Sally-pants, Sally-wally, little Sally-wally baby kitten-pants etc.) that it was okay to kill any mice she found inside, but it was not okay to catch mice outside and bring them (alive) back into the house to play. =/ Luckily she's too fat to hunt anymore so I haven't had to clean up/chase out any vermin lately.

6:44 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Hey cool - Monkey Tomater Koochie!

Duuuude, warn a girl before you post pics of the mice slaying!

6:57 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Harley-Barley Pud'n-n-Pie is not a goofy name! Hard to spell, though.... And I hope she doesn't find any mice....

7:39 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Ossie kills everything! He is the Chosen One. He loves baby bunnies most of all, but he a killing machine.

That said, it never occurred to me to take pictures of the carnage in progress to post on my blog. Let me know what effect this has on your stats, ok? ;-)

7:47 PM  
Blogger Krysstyllanthrox said...

Care to share the links for composting? All the ones I can find are for large scale get ups and quite frankly I'm not aiming to compost the world.

Sophie does her stare of death at the mini-fridge every day/night. She's caught 2.5 but has no kills.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Yeah for 'Maters!!! I am glad you have gotten at least one before the dreaded rot sets in. I think my mater plant is officially burned. Hard to keep stuff plenty watered without a hose....

9:28 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Glad you got a mater!

That last picture...hehe memories of my late dog Fanny..(we did NOT name her) doing the same thing!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

We had an old, toothless cat that caught a mouse once. As she was gumming it, it bit her and she dropped it, but my dog caught it, chomped it once and dropped it on the floor where it quivered, curled up, and died.

Love your garden-learning synopsis. Can't wait to hear all about your composting experiment.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I learned the pot plug lesson the hard way as well - I almost drowned my tomatoes. My peppers have not done so well in pots, but my chive and basil plants looks like bushes! Next year I plan to plant a few different varieties of basil and try the spring onions out.

6:07 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Yay Squeaky! You get those mice! That's exactly why I got cats but I have yet to see any mice. We have "pet names" for our pets too. One cat is nicknamed "The Corn Kitty" because she likes it when my hubby picks her up holding her back and gently biting her belly. =)

6:35 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Totally spit out my coffee. Squeeks the Slayer! So awesome!

Since Katie has owned me for almost a year now - the only other kitty names I've come up with are Buttons and Katie-bug. She seems to like Buttons best.

7:44 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Don't forget - you can save the seeds from your marigolds too and plant them next spring.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ydlxqwgHey great info on the pot garden. We have gotten a lot of things out of our garden this year cause your father has been out there weeding and harvesting. As for compost well I started a pile about two years ago and I was going to put the bottom on the garden this spring but your father started to put things on top and then I had other things that needed tending,maybe next year. Yeah! for Squeaky! Love, Mom

10:58 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Man, those are some good cat and mouse pictures. Did Squeaky eat 'em?

Oh, and "Meatykins" is the funniest thing I've read all day. Congrats.

-T.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I love that nickname! Ours for the cat are not quite as creative, the most frequently used being Kitty Kat. Or Stinky. Or Meow meows.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

It's always good to see Rosie!

Good Kitty, Very Good Kitty. ;-)

3:13 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Morris was my mouse hunter. *sniff* I miss my Mo-mo again.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

Rosie the Slayer was the Ultimate Slayer. She was like Faith--black inside and out. Mean cat, that one. She bit me three times when I had to put her to sleep and I had to have a tetanus shot.

Min was like Buffy. A merciless killer, but with a heart of gold. And a bit on the needy side.

Lilith is like Xander too. But she's beat a couple of babies to death with her clawless paws. So I suppose it's something! She's trying!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

~snort~ Of course I have goofy names for the furballs! A couple I shouldn't post though ;) Sounds like you've really got your garden on, I look forward to composting news to come!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

My favorite cat (and the one that owned me longest) was Kubla Kat. Yes, we had Marco Polo, too. Poor Koob ran under the wheels of my car and I held her while they gave her the injection of death. Now I have Calvin and Hobbes. Calvin is about as big and dumb a cat as I have ever owned (I keep reminding myself, brain the size of a walnut) but he is also the sweetest and most loving. Hobbes (Hobbers) was standoffish for 2 years and is only now coming around to recognize our existance in his world.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

Awesome tips! Your garden was the inspiration for my little garlic garden this year. Maybe its time to try a potato!

Poor mice! It's irrational and would cause irrevocable chaos but I wish no animals killed other animals. I can't watch those animal planet shows where they show the lions stalking the prey without dissolving into a bag of tears. I'm hardcore that way. ;)

Dickens has so many names. I call him Noo, Mouse, Chai Chai, Kitten, Bubas Cat, Foofer, etc. Makes me sound like a mental patient. :)

7:12 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Love the monkey pictures! That's so fun!

Be sure to sanitize your tomato pots- rubbing alcohol will work (and it's cheap at the dollar store, too!) so you don't end up with the same problem next year.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

I'm envious of your mouse slayer!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

We were at a friends daughters birthday party the other day and their cat come walking across the street with a bunny. It catches bunnies....can you imagine!!

You have a good hunter there.

Our cat and dog tag team on mice around here LOL

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home