Friday, September 21, 2007

Drive By Blogging

Oof!

I know I promised cheapy tips, but my computer time has been severely limited this week.

When I blog a lot during the week, that usually means Dr. Mad Scientist is working late hours. This week--he's been home by 7:00 p.m. each night.

Sharing a computer with a computer-game-dork husband can suck.

But I have been keeping my fingers busy knitting instead of typing!

I finished up my car-lunch-knitting project.

100_4379

The stats:

Pattern: Mead, by Elizabeth

Yarn: Some mystery Russian 100% laceweight alpaca (I say mystery because the label was in Russian.)

Needles: US 4

Notes: Maybe it's the fact it was alpaca, maybe it's the fact it was brown, but Mead seemed like just the pattern I was craving for

Maybe it was the alpaca, maybe it was the brown color--but Mead was just what I was craving when I went searching for a lace scarf pattern.

The only modifications I made were that I only used a little less than 300 yds. so it's not as long as Elizabeth's Mead. I also made it skinnier than hers and did two repeats of the zig-zag lace. I inadvertently read the chart a little too literally and thus there's a few extra stitches spacing my two zig-zag columns. But it looks OK!

This will be a Christmas present for Chunky's lead teacher at school--Miss Maya.

100_4381

I think I'm going to continue my Elizabeth lace scarf knitting and make an Autumn Walk scarf for the school director for Christmas.

But first--I've cast on an angora/wool hat for Dr. Mad Scientist's adventures in NYC winter commuting.

Finally, before I go--a quick Etsy update--the latest batch of orders are going out in the mail tomorrow. I'll see if I can't restock the shop some more this weekend as well.

And speaking of Etsy--the buttons for my Anthromadeinchina Shruglet came in the mail today!

100_4378

$3 for 3 big old vintage buttons. I was a little hesitant to order them online not being able to see if they'd match--but I couldn't be happier! They match great!

Labels: , , ,

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy! do they match. And you want to know something else? I think I have those same buttons!!! In that color also!!! I know I'm a button dork!!! The scarf turned out realy nice. I think that Chunkie's teacher will really like it. Love, Mom

5:59 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Oh wow - that lace scarf is gorgeous! Too bad I haven't had the attention span to work on lace lately... I really love it.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

The scarf is lovely. Chunky's teacher is very lucky.

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Knit Mongrel said...

It's stunning, and now I want one. Thanks for enabling - I've even got the perfect yarn!! :) Love it.

PS: Package is going in the mail Monday morning at the latest. Hee.

7:36 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Sweet scarf. You should start hitting Mom up for buttons.

You wanna know what my favorite buttons are? The kind that come in a little baggy attached to new shirts and sweaters. Like, yah, right, I'll put it somewhere I can find it when a button pops off.

-T.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

The scarf looks sooo soft. You're so nice to knit that for the chunkster's teacher.

The buttons are perfect.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Perfect buttons! I am sure Chunky's teacher is going to love the scarf- it's beautiful!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Thems is some shiny, purty buttons! I swear, your hubby and mine are some kind of twinnies. Mine takes over the computer for hours at a time. currently he's obsessd with some poker game site. Was WOW for a while. City of Heroes before that...

9:13 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Dontcha hate it when the hubbies interfere with your me time? ;)

Lovely lace! And what fab buttons! It never would have occurred to me to check Etsy for vintage. Hmmm, I'm knitting a hoodie right now that will need buttons...

*runs to Etsy*

9:39 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Gorgeous scarf!! Great match on the buttons too!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

i too have not been able to blog much of late, but am getting a good deal of knitting done... hmmm, knit, or blog about knitting...

10:24 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Wow! Great job on your Mead!

We have more computers than people so we don't have to fight.

The buttons are a perfect match.

11:15 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Miss Maya is one lucky lady!

I love the vintage buttons.

Hey, I was in Pennsylvania this week--I saw the sign pointing towards New Jersey and thought,hey Bezzie lives an hour or so away!

11:32 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I love that green!

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Miss T said...

Gorgeous scarf! And great buttons.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Excellent Scarf! Too nice to gift, but then I'm sure Chunk's teacher deserves it.

Cool buttons!

11:29 AM  
Blogger The Fluffy Ewe said...

Those buttons are a perfect match! Good call! :)

Im married to one of those computer-gamer-dorks, too. Like Elizabeth, we also have more pc's/laptops in this house than ppl. Atleast yours doesn't occaisionally hog the big screen to play boring ass games on the PS2 or Xbox.

Pretty scarf! Chunky's teacher will just love that squishy, soft yarn.

12:34 PM  
Blogger bradyphrenia said...

ooh pretty scarf. i think i've renewed my love affair with alpaca and its sweet soft hairiness. yay alpaca!

i too hate purses. i own several but i never carry them, which is probably why i keep giving away the ones that i make.

10:00 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

The buttons worked out great. I'll be on a button search this weekend myself. I'm not looking forward to it.

The scarf is really lovely. Chunky's teacher will love it.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You bought vintage buttons off of etsy? Are they handmade, because I thought the etsy shop was for handmade items only.

kay

3:22 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits & PashyKnits said...

The scarf looks fabulous! Christmas presents already?! Good for you!

Love the buttons...can't wait to see everything all together now :)

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home