Sunday, September 09, 2007

Weekend Wrap Up

Ok, so the weekend isn't completely over, but I've got a quick minute to blog.

Then it's off to make some homemade granola bars for lunches. Sucky September* means no more buying storebought desserts/snacks for lunches. Oatmeal, brown sugar, honey, and sunflower seeds are cheaper than anything a Quaker can offer.

Friday I cast on for the ubiquitious Anthropologie Reverse Capelet.

100_4287

I'm not sure why they call it a capelet since it seems more like a short sleeve shrug to me, but whatever. I want to make it a little longer so it's not so boob-a-licious and the sleeves at least 3/4 length. I'll leave it at work so when the pregnant girl and menopausal woman get their hand on the thermostat this fall I'll have something to stay warm.

Plus I put one of my $5 cheapy knit cardigans out to pasture this week. It was looking pretty tired and worse for wear. This will make a great replacement.

I'm knitting it with some wool I won from a blog contest The Curly Knitter put on a while ago. It's a deep forest green--my favorite color!

Then all day yesterday was spent making the latest batch of Mirror Yarn Balls.

100_4284

Seven new ones. Whew! They're pretty simple in construction, but an hour each takes a while!

Then thanks to an idea of Carol's, I made some little cell phone fobbies.

100_4285

I sort of see these puncturing someone's jugular, but that could just be the voice of my Old Man echoing in the back of my mind. Growing up everything could puncture your jugular--or give you lead poisoning.

If I have time after granola bars, I'll post everything to the shop. Otherwise it will be sometime early this week.

The first batch of balls went out in the mail yesterday.

ETA: The shop has been updated!


*I've renamed Project Poverty to Sucky September. We don't live at poverty level and I felt like comparing our IRS debacle to those actually living at poverty level devalued that word.

Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So they take an hour to make...I sure hope that you are charging at least 10$ for them then. That would meant that you are paying yourself at the very least 10$ an hour, but then you have to subtract the cost of your supplies. So you can say that you are paying yourself less than 10$ an hour. Pricing thing that you make is so hard. But anyway it looks like you have a winner there! Love, Mom

2:08 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

I love the mirror yarn balls. I hope there are still some around when I stop being broke next Saturday!

4:28 PM  
Blogger buttercup said...

The cell phone dangle balls are so cute! I don't know about the needle stabbing your jugular, but I'm sure it could pierce an ear drum. Or poke an eye out if your a spaz, like me. ;-)

4:29 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I got me a cell phone dangly! At the very least if I get injured, I might could take a day off of work right?

5:06 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Yeah, I always wondered about the "capelet" thing too. I'm guessing that's what Anthroverpriced called the item she based it on. Can't wait to see it!

More cute and wooly balls! Man, I love saying that! ;)

5:20 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I know what you mean about the cold office! My cube is right under the aircon vent, so I *freeze* most of the year.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Love the balls.
It could also poke an eye out ;-)

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bezzie - Jacquiebean here. Just wanted to let you know that I would definitely absolutely buy the mixey green one for my car - it even matches, and love the natural coloured beads - but I am having my own Sucky September over here with the new house and the unexpected expenses that go with it. $2900 worth of water treatment system, anyone?

But, you rock on sister! Maybe you will make another one like it later in the fall and THAT one will come to live with me.

Luv J.

7:45 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits & PashyKnits said...

I'm back!! Had to go buy myself a cute little ball for my cell phone (or the key chain on my knitting bag!) before they all sell out! Love them!! Great idea Bezzie!

I've made the "capelet" a few times...yeap, its a shrug! But I guess we should feel fancy calling it a capelet?!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

Very excited to have my own Bezzie Ball - I, my car and my boys thank you.

Put you thinking cap on - the world needs more Random Meanderthings.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

I made myself a longer Anthropologie capelet and I love it! I wear it all the time. I love it so much that I made 2 more. :)

7:53 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Sounds like your "sucky September" falls into the same line of thinking as our "tightwadding". I've been reading the Tightwad Gazette and getting lots of great ideas, and, believe it or not, I made granola yesterday too :). I think I've heard about things like this happening before ... something about great minds .... ;).

7:57 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

This is where I stand on the capelet issue: a 'cape' is a sleeveless garment. The cute new shrug you are making has sleeves. I rest my case. ;)

An aside: I had never set foot in Anthropologie until a couple of weeks ago. I could rant as to how much it displeased me but there are starving kitties in Iraqistan to worry about.
(The funniest thing was this: books about Coco Chanel and Jackie Onassis lying about! Those two chicks wouldn't get caught dead in those clothes! Hah!)

Good on ya with your bob-dedy-bobs!

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Danielle said...

That capelet looks very similar to the Bold & Bulky Mini-Cardi in Stefanie Japel's Fitted Knits.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Lookin good, Bezzie! You ought to try earrings. Some prefab earring findings, thread/laceweight yarn, toothpick needles, you've got another winner!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

mwahahahaha! Missed the fobs, but I got the last blue one! mwahahaha!

4:52 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Psssstttt....Bez....You're sold out again. :-)

5:46 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Isn't it just too coincidental that this comes out when you start making car accessories:
http://scion.craftmyride.com/

Hat to share :).

6:47 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I mean had. Ugh long day

6:49 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Holy mother of god woman, they're all sold out! Sucky September might turn into a sweet September if you keep churning those babies out!! :)

8:08 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I got so spazzed out to get my ball, I forgot to ask about your frog stitch marker! It's really nice, did you make that too?

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

I thought it was just the women in my office that were out of control with the thermostat. We recently had a locked cover put over the thermostat at work and I have the only key. Hahahaha!
(glad to be back to reading your blog. You always make me laugh.)

12:28 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Cool balls! Hmmm,did that come out right?

7:16 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I think making your granola bars (if it's not too much effort) is probably a better choice (in the sense of nutrition, preservatives, local eating, lower cost of shipping and packaging, etc.) even if it's only because of 'Sucky September' - I'm trying to do similar things just because!

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home